Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:16 pm 

I was out yesterday looking for a couple new albums. Namely, the new "Little Big Town": the breaker and a classic "Genesis" : we can't dance. In the east part of the GTA there are not that many record stores left but we do have a few. Wilson & Lee and the old Star record store down on Simcoe Street South.

What knocked me back in my socks was the price. $42.99 and $14.99 respectively. WOW where have I been????

This got me thinking about the pros and cons for vinyl vs CD's. So let's see what the price will be for both of these on CD. A quick drive to Deja Vu store and I find both. the first brand new and the second used. Price $12.99 and $3.99.

Well that was a easy decision! Not quite a "apples to apples" comparison is far as sound goes, but it got me thinking....

$65.5 vs $19.19......

Where is this market going????

As a gentlemen who will be closer to 60 than 50 in a couple of weeks, are we on the verge of this fine industry who I have been involved for well over .....40 years going the way of the 8 track? We all know how warm a sound from vinyl can be when compared to a CD, but at what cost?

I have two "young" children in their twenties and every time I purchase a album and a CD (a little less) they look at me and simply ask me "Why Dad"? Have you heard of Spotify??

(Little do they know that I do have a Spotify account) but is this the future that we are about to face?

Perhaps this is just a sign of the times, but I can't imagine a time when my beloved NAD stereo system becomes obsolete along with the fine means in which I enjoy this music on....

Let's hope the manufactures of this fine media wake up and realize that the costs are now approaching the turning point!

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 pm 

I mostly buy used vinyl, and extremely selective of what new LPs I get on vinyl. The new vinyl record prices are just stupid. I mostly get new for occasion like birthdays and Christmas from friends and family.
I wouldn't say it's pushing me towards buying CDs though. I still much prefer vinyl to any other formats.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm 

Yes, the price of vinyl is getting crazy. I am very selective now and research titles on the Steve Hoffman music forum to see if the title on that label is worth buying sound wise. I do prefer vinyl over cd . I have found if you follow titles on amazon. CA the prices go up and down, sometimes $20 down. That's when you buy.

I keep a wish list of vinyl on there and check prices daily. I recently bought U2 Rattle and Hum for $20 off amazon.ca. It's $59 at sunrise.

I think the labels are price gouging just like when cd's ushered in. You would think they would have learned a lesson by now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm 

Let's be fair. Vinyl costs more to make, more to package and more to transport than cds. Add to this very limited production runs due to limited sales and the associated costs go up even more.
Yes, the prices are steep and like you I blame the record manufacturer. HOWEVER, new cds are hard to come by and if you can find a store that actually sells NEW cds, they range from $15 to $25. This can range to even higher prices depending on the type of music you listen to.

Yes, most young people don't care, but then most people didn't care about quality when I was a 20 something. For us boomers/ gezzer rock types, buying a stereo was the first thing you did when you moved out of your parents house. Then you bought a car. Now, Millennials buy a phone every three years and Dr. Beat headphones. Why buy a car, my parents will drive me everywhere, because I live in their basement! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

cdnduck wrote:
I was out yesterday looking for a couple new albums. Namely, the new "Little Big Town": the breaker and a classic "Genesis" : we can't dance. In the east part of the GTA there are not that many record stores left but we do have a few. Wilson & Lee and the old Star record store down on Simcoe Street South.

What knocked me back in my socks was the price. $42.99 and $14.99 respectively. WOW where have I been????

It pays to shop around. You can find that Little Big Town record on lp a lot cheaper elsewhere. Since you're limited shop wise, look online. Walmart, Amazon, umusic has it for $23 plus shipping (in most cases).

As for your other question..yes and no. For older releases I hunt down original pressings. But for new releases by new bands it's a mix of cd, lp and downloads with lps being the last choice most of the time. I'll only buy a new release on lp if there's a compelling reason to do so e.g. specifically mastered for vinyl.

-- 18 Feb 2018 23:25 --

Vinyl Guy wrote:
HOWEVER, new cds are hard to come by and if you can find a store that actually sells NEW cds, they range from $15 to $25. This can range to even higher prices depending on the type of music you listen to.

In store, yes they can be hard to find. But online, no so much. CDs are pretty easy to obtain for the most part.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm 

Yep. There are some classics I feel should be owned on vinyl (whether for sound or nostalgia), but I prefer cds and with present prices it is a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

Are you guys seriously telling us it’s difficult finding new CDs in the Toronto area ? I don’t buy that for a minute. I live in puny Winnipeg and have no problem finding all kinds of music be they vinyl or CD.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm 
Premium User

Lately I've been buying BOTH the LP and the CD...!!!

...and I know at least one other CAM member who follows suit!!! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:02 pm 

Building an LP collection nowadays is ridiculous (and I am trying). Buying used I have encountered that sellers' definition of "near mint" is pretty loose. No, not loose. Absurd, really. It's better to buy 3 or 4 lousy copies of something and hopefully have all tracks playable between the lot of them than to waste your money for a premium "near mint" copy that is anything but. And new releases generally feel awfully close to the cd. Why do I even bother with the vinyl? There is a thrill in the hunt. At the moment that's pretty much it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:09 pm 
Premium User

I've bought approximately 100 NM LP's from DISCOGS of which 3 didn't qualify for that rating.

I received full refund on 2 of those...the other I was refunded half of the selling price.

In all the time I've been buying CD's only one proved to be a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:18 pm 

No. Not pushing me to cds at all.
Love my vinyl and buy it when i can afford to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm 

Quote:
Are you guys seriously telling us it’s difficult finding new CDs in the Toronto area ?

Yes and no. It used to be that record stores were everywhere and finding new stuff was a snap. Now, it is more of a challenge, if you wish to visit a "Brick & motar" store. I live about an hour west of Toronto and the selection of new cds in our local stores is limited to a few pop titles. There is tons of used stuff.
Yes, finding it on the internet is easy, if you know what you are looking for.
Don't forget, that in the old days you would walk into a store and hear new releases playing or you could flip through discs. I found many "new to me artists" that way.
But times have changed and I admit I am a dinosaur.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm 

No. Since I don t have a Cd player on my system . Its seems reduntant to spend thousands of $$ on a player and a dac and all the other stuff to mimic the cd to sound like a vinyl record. I used that saved money to buy more records and good cartridge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm 

I find the problem more knowing what new generation is available. I am familiar with the older blues and jazz artist but I probably could not name more than 6 new age. 7 albums $200+ is steep but the quality is exceptional. And really 2 are double albums so it is just over 25 per. T