Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm 

What should I expect for $250? I am having it picked up in Toronto and I'll get it in a few weeks. The price was quite reasonable compared to Linn or Thorens of the same vintage. It appears to be in quite good shape as it was taken on consignment at a local retailer. There is not much written about Fons. A few show up from time to time on CAM and that's about it. I am considering replacing the ADC with a LOMC (Denon). What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:40 pm 

which stax arm? far as i recall all of those were extremely well built and sort of exotic. i never had the pleasure but i cant imagine any of them not being worth more than that alone. on that basis its a score.

i had a cq30 a long while ago but am not qualified to speak on it, as i never had a decent cartridge or phono stage at that time to pair it with. the arm i had was an sme 3009 s2, the dek itself resemlbed an ariston and i think they might be similar in quality. it was well built certainly, and if the design and bearing are similar to the build quality it will sound good, you got a deal.

the adc has some huge fans. have a look at vinyl engines calculator and see which cart woudl better match the effective mass and system resonance of the arm/table. the denon can be very good but requires care in system matching to get much from it. the adc may be easier to wring out. (if you have the periphrials and correct tt setup for the 301 youll be pleased though)

that combo will easily beat any old thorens with their awful original arm.

btw that tt was the first rip off i ever experienced, A local scumbag took me for full value at a time i had no recourse. john galica was his name.
hes probably old, i hate to say id still take great pleasure in kicking the cane out from under him. If you bought it from him, do me a solid and stick him, at least with the bill :lol:

...congrats, its a good score at that price for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:57 pm 

phowell1 wrote:
which stax arm? far as i recall all of those were extremely well built and sort of exotic. i never had the pleasure but i cant imagine any of them not being worth more than that alone. on that basis its a score.

i had a cq30 a long while ago but am not qualified to speak on it, as i never had a decent cartridge or phono stage at that time to pair it with. the arm i had was an sme 3009 s2, the dek itself resemlbed an ariston and i think they might be similar in quality. it was well built certainly, and if the design and bearing are similar to the build quality it will sound good, you got a deal.

the adc has some huge fans. have a look at vinyl engines calculator and see which cart woudl better match the effective mass and system resonance of the arm/table. the denon can be very good but requires care in system matching to get much from it. the adc may be easier to wring out. (if you have the periphrials and correct tt setup for the 301 youll be pleased though)

that combo will easily beat any old thorens with their awful original arm.

btw that tt was the first rip off i ever experienced, A local scumbag took me for full value at a time i had no recourse. john galica was his name.
hes probably old, i hate to say id still take great pleasure in kicking the cane out from under him. If you bought it from him, do me a solid and stick him, at least with the bill :lol:

...congrats, its a good score at that price for sure.

Exec Stereo on Avenue is who sold it on consignment. They have been in business since the 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm 

yes i have no beef with executive stereo. excellent equipment and nice people in my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

I had a Fons with a Stax tonearm many years ago. I think the arm was a UA-9 but it could have been a 7. I think the effective mass of the arm was a little high for the popular mm cartridges of the day, like that ADC, but I certainly could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm 

cleopatra52 wrote:
I had a Fons with a Stax tonearm many years ago. I think the arm was a UA-9 but it could have been a 7. I think the effective mass of the arm was a little high for the popular mm cartridges of the day, like that ADC, but I certainly could be wrong.

From what I can see, it's the 7. It would be great match for my new to me 103S. Frankly I must see a shrink as this will be my 13th table.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm 

Good for you!

A well sorted 103 is a beautiful thing, and Stax, mmm. That will sound good.

13 tables, concurrently? Lol!

Don't worry- unless you drop them on people you're not hurting anyone.

Once you're gone the heritage society will label your place a hifi museum and save it from development. That fons is a gift to the neighborhood and you're a cultural preservationist, not an addict. :wink: 8)

Dont stress!

Last edited by phowell1 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm 

Attachment:
Fons CQ-30 Specifications.jpg
Fons CQ-30 Specifications.jpg [ 394.62 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

Attachment:
Fons CQ-30 Specifications.jpg
Fons CQ-30 Specifications.jpg [ 394.62 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

I have found some info about the Fons that may help you, hope the scans work.

-- 19 Feb 2018 02:07 --

My Fons is still in use, to convert lp's to digital. It was in the basement for more years than I care to remember, but now has a second life. I do remember when fired up after this layoff the platter had a wobble as the belt had a flat spot, but after running for a few hours it sorted itself out. Can't see any wobble with the strobe pattern at 33 rpm. Some records (from the 70's) converted into digital sound really good, are they same as original? Who knows but I'll keep dreaming and say yes. With SME 3009 improved tonearm and ADC XLM mk II or III cartridge. Some of the vinyl from the 70's was recorded very well, others not so good. Fons CQ-30 is a very good TT.

Attachments:
Fons CQ-30 FM Guide Review May 1976.jpg
Fons CQ-30 FM Guide Review May 1976.jpg [ 174.3 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm 

If the tonearm is 'all good', it should be worth quite a lot more than you paid for the whole kit. If the TT is 'all good', considering the garbage that's being offered up at $250, right now in the market , if it's really in 'quite good shape' you will be laughing your head off - once you know which tonearm you have probably UA-7, just look it up on VE and decide if you want to go with a Denon.
It's a really good suspended TT but like Heybrook and Ariston, parts are unobtanium.