Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 am 

A friend and I went to audition the Chord Mojo at American HiFi in Winnipeg. Super nice folks there.

Unfortunately, the Mojo was out on a demo loan, and we were forced to listen to the Chord Dave instead. Through a pair of Wilson Sasha speakers (the replacement for the Watt/Puppy) and amplified by PS Audio BHK amps. In a room extensively optimized with a scalloped sloped ceiling and shaped foam in all the right places.

My first experience listening to anything of this caliber. The speaker cables on this machine cost more than my entire rig. :shock:

I just sat there and grinned. Wow. :D

One interesting lesson about the Chord line: I asked Dennis (our consultant) how much better the Dave was than the Hugo or the Hugo TT or the Mojo. He said that the Dave was better, but unless the rest of the equipment was of similar quality, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between them. The Hugo and Mojo are that good.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 am 

I'm just going to sit back with a bowl of popcorn and wait for a bit to see where this thread is headed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 am 

Definitely heard good reports about the Chord DAVE: but then at, what?, $12K, it should be pretty damned good! I heard it briefly at a Toronto-area dealer, but it was not paired with comparable amp and speakers, so couldn't really form an opinion. . .

I had the predecessor to the DAVE, the QBD76 HDSD: a fine DAC, by any measure, though it is one of many that failed to displace my old (2002) Universal Audio 2192 and for that reason I sold the Chord along with Blu transport which was comparable to, though no better than, another old component: the early 2000s Esoteric P-70. . .