Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 am 

Is there any point from a sound perspective to putting spikes on my floor standers? I would of course have to use the little coasters that came with also.

Height yes. Physical stability yes. But sound?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 am 

They are called 'carpet spikes' . Not needed on bare floor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am 

I think I would use them with the floor protectors. You don,t want to have the speaker on the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am 

Some people I know use mats under the speakers.Then use the spikes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:11 am 

Hi,

I just had a chance to rethink that too. There are two schools of thought on this. One is to couple the speaker enclosure to the physical material of the stands and then even the room. Blue-tac was all the rage about three decades ago until it peeled the veneer off many speaker enclosures and got a bad rap. Spikes popped up, both on top of stands (putting nice marks on your $2K mini-monitor speaker bottoms) and on the base of stands. Initially they were touted for carpeted floors but then reviewers started raving about them even on hardwood (and cement) floors. Just the thought gives me the creeps. The overall idea here was to get the floor of the room vibrating a bit from energy being transferred thus building listener excitement, I guess. I think it was a passing fad.

The second school wanted complete physical isolation of the speaker enclosure from any spurious resonances that might be induced by physical coupling. I am firmly in the second camp. This is achieved by placing damping material like small rubber grommets and other things between speakers and stands and between stands and the floor. I only want the energy in the room to be emanating from either the drivers or the speaker enclosure or else boundary reflections. These two different schools of thought emerged principally from various audiophile experiences with stand mount mini-monitor placement where imaging is often held as paramount. Salesmen loved the spike angle - another way to show the punters how to get 'better' sound when in fact it they were listening to an artifact. Eventually the enthusiasm for spikes carried over to floor-stander designs.

Recently I acquired a used pair of Vandersteen floor-standers and they came with heavy customized spike stands that bolt to the bottom of the enclosure. We have hard-wood floors and Indian rugs so no way at all are these things usable. I put the Vandys on heavy rubber stopper plugs that are about one inch thick and these isolate them very nicely even from the lowest bass notes pounding out at high levels.

Sound-wise? Try both and pick what you like.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 am 

Work really nice for me. Tight bass and no vibrations felt through the floor.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 251.19 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 228.55 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am 

Decoupling the speaker from the floor is always a good idea. I use Soundcare Superspikes with my Proac 2.5s. They use the standard bolt holes and provide an enclosed spike assembly which eliminates any chance of floor damage. The speaker is also very easy to move with the spikes attached and rigidity is greatly improved.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 am 

ThomasA wrote:
Decoupling the speaker from the floor is always a good idea. I use Soundcare Superspikes with my Proac 2.5s. They use the standard bolt holes and provide an enclosed spike assembly which eliminates any chance of floor damage. The speaker is also very easy to move with the spikes attached and rigidity is greatly improved.

Wouldn't that be coupled?

-- 18 Feb 2018 17:07 --

KJT1 wrote:
Work really nice for me. Tight bass and no vibrations felt through the floor.

Did the exact same thing on my speakers and shelf.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 am 

Personally I prefer to float my speakers on my hardwood floor.

Attachment:
C1B10348-3AFE-4C93-9CB7-1530E384EC61.jpeg
C1B10348-3AFE-4C93-9CB7-1530E384EC61.jpeg [ 423.08 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 am 

Regarding the floating of the speaker stands are the layers hard or soft? ie. an almost combination of coupling and decoupling?

I look at it more of a where the rubber meets the road kind of thing. The end result is they are still coupled to the floor.
No?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 am 

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm
Good products with no daft pricing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Regarding the floating of the speaker stands are the layers hard or soft? ie. an almost combination of coupling and decoupling?

I look at it more of a where the rubber meets the road kind of thing. The end result is they are still coupled to the floor.
No?

MDF layers. Ultimately, the speakers are resting on the miniscule top and bottom contact points of the ball bearings in the metal dishes. To the touch they jiggle, but no movement is apparent when they are playing music, so I would argue they are completely decoupled from the floor. The whole set up seems counter-intuitive, especially when you consider Newton's third law of motion, but I believe Magico and a few other high end speaker makers use a similar mechanism. To my ears the end result, is greater clarity and coherence to the music; perhaps fewer vibrations are feeding back into the speaker to color the sound. This is a controversial tweak, and most will take it with a grain of salt. But its a cheap one that works for me. Total expense was less than $30 and all the metal parts were readily available from a hardware store. Worth a try, if you know how to cut wood and drill a few holes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:36 am 

Actually milesian – not questioning your attempt, which I do applaud you for, but you have only decoupled through a horizontal axis. Vertically, your bearings and metal dishes are coupled. If we take high powered microscopes as a reference, their workbenches are decoupled throughout all axis – in other words, they freely float (in simple terms)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 am 

But can one truly decouple thru the vertical plane?
There will always be contact...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 am 

In the case of milesian application, adding springs could allow for vertical decouple (as an example). Just have to ensure the springs allow for sag, meaning they will slightly compress under load of the speaker but not fully. The innertube method has also been successfully applied. There is a few products on the market that allow decoupling in all axis – Solid Tech Discs of Silence as a example (which can be tuned depending on load)

edit: Found this on the interwebs – can’t comment on the product, no experience with it but it does demonstrate a product that fully decouples. The platform allows a speaker to float within all axis. I am sure a product of such carries a significant cost, but someone creative could put something together of similar function. Assuming of course one feels isolation is of importance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... W9-r83IvhI