Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm 

Recently acquired a pair of early (with the already bi-amped crossovers) Carver Amazing Platinums and thinking about removing the passive crossovers and using a Dahlquist DQ-LP1 active crossover in place between the preamp and a pair of amplifiers.
Just wondering if anyone has tried this type of arrangement before, how well it worked and also any advice on a good set of amps to use whether it is two of the same, tube vs SS, output wattage recommendations, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm 

I have a pair of carver ALS-III's that I have bi-amped. I replaced the downward firing 10's with front firing 15's. For amps, I use a sunfire 300x2 on the transducers and a QSC4050a for the 15's. I use an electronic xover on the 15's only. I removed the crossover components for the low end and run the 15's direct to the 4050. I rebuilt the passive crossovers for the transducers with audiophile grade caps and coils. My preamp is a VTL 2.5 and I have modified it by adding XLR outputs that run direct to the sunfire. I'm very pleased with the sound and when I rebuilt the passive crossovers, the top end opened right up! The sunfire is a great match for the transducers as they like current! And the 4050....well....more than power and control for the 15's!