Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:37 pm 

Came home from work yesterday and my wife tells me that there is something wrong with the receiver. Said receiver is a Lexicon RV-8. Sure enough, the unit powers on but will not power up the power amp section and will not respond to any remote or front panel controls and will not switch to any input. Have tried all the usual things like powering down and unplugging for a few minutes, but no luck. Did a little research and found out that this is a common issue with these units and apparently impossible to repair now. The parts are not available.

I purchased this RV-8 used six years ago here on CAM for a small fraction of it's original $11,000 CDN list price. The RV-8 is considered one of, if not the best sounding AVR's ever produced. It replaced EAD Ovation-8 Sig, Bryston 9b separates in my system with absolutely no loss in sound quality in both two channel and multi-channel. An absolute beast. There are a couple for sale in the U.S. for more money then I paid and at close to seventy pounds, yes that is not a misprint 70 lbs, it would cost a small fortune to ship to Canada. Also regardless of the condition and usage these units are still a minimum of twelve years old and I just don't want to buy a twelve year old AVR, but dang this thing sounds good and nothing made today at even three times what I paid for it will come anywhere close to it in pure sound quality. I have a friend with an Anthem MRX 72O, which is a fine AVR but in direct comparison it lacks the power and refinement that the big Lex has. The Lex sounds like hi-end separates, the Anthem like a really good AVR. Looks like I may have to look for used seperates even though I don't really have the space for separate pre/pro multi channel units.

Lexicon is back again with new Home Theater receivers but although announced early last fall have still not made it to retail stores and are more money than I want to spend and from reports are basically just re-badges of Harmon Kardon's top AVR's and not designed and built from the ground up by Lexicon like the RV-8 was. You think Lexicon would have learned their lesson by now with the re-badging, doubling the price model of business after the debacle with a well known.universal player some years ago.

Yep, this is a sad day indeed. Time to scour the classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm 

Hi
Sorry to hear of your misfortune . I hope you can repair it or find a suitable replacement.
Years ago I bought the Proceed PAV and PDSD combo ,similar to the functionality of the Lexicon . It sounded absolutely wonderful but shortly after I bought it stopped working , I stored both units in their boxes in my attic ever since. I ended up buying the Theta Casablanca II as a replacement. Now for a little trivia,in my native language of Greek we call dictionary <<<Lexicon>>> its basically the word we use for dictionary. I am not sure why they named their company with a name like that,what's got to do with audio? maybe because it sounds good and heavy. I am not trying to slam the company as we all know they make nice components.
George

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:44 pm 

Wow that sucks Ron. I am wondering though if it might be a bad capacitor or something repairable. Might be worth taking it to a trusted tech and spend the $100 on a diagnostic rather than having an $11K MSRP paper weight.

BTW this is my biggest fear with high end equipment, although I have never owned something in the price point. Most of my best components were in the $4K per piece range.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 pm 

banerjba wrote:
Wow that sucks Ron. I am wondering though if it might be a bad capacitor or something repairable. Might be worth taking it to a trusted tech and spend the $100 on a diagnostic rather than having an $11K MSRP paper weight.

BTW this is my biggest fear with high end equipment, although I have never owned something in the price point. Most of my best components were in the $4K per piece range.

Yep, it sucks. Even though the original MSRP was $11,000 I paid less than a thousand dollars for it and the receiver performed flawlessly for six years. Harmon don't release service manuals. The issue is a fairly well documented one on forums dealing with this piece. It's some sort if power supply problem that causes a cascade failure in several of the boards. These boards need to be replaced and they are unobtanium. The parent company will look at it but I have to ship.it to them, very expensive, and they want $500 US just to lift the hood. That's ridiculous. I got my money's worth out of it. It's just that there is absolutely nothing I know of that will do what it does and sound as good doing it for $900 or $1800 or $2700 for that matter. I'm either going to have to spend considerably more than I really want to or compromise and settle for less performance. How am I even going to dispose of this 70 lb. monstrosity?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 pm 

Hope you find some amps/pre or another AVR soon to ease the pain. My Yamaha AVR still turns on, but I say a little thank you every time. AVR's aren't exactly reliable.

Funny thing is, I've heard of people using the RV-8 when separates are out for repairs.

With no HDMI you might find a used one that works. They obviously don't sell too often. Been awhile since I've seen one for sale in Canada.

The OP probably knows this already. Bryston manufactured Lexicon. Little Canadian Lexicon connection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:30 pm 

ae86 wrote:
The OP probably knows this already. Bryston manufactured Lexicon. Little Canadian Lexicon connection.

No, Bryston only manufactured their power amplifiers.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:44 pm 

For a limited amount of time too. Good way to find a cheap Bryston.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:18 am 

Ya, the power amp section of the RV-8 and some of Lexicon's other amps were built to Lexicons specs by pro amp maker Crown.

To the poster questioning the use of the word lexicon for the companies name, in English the word has a different meaning as well. It is synonymous with the word knowledge.

Last edited by good sound on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 am 

Quote:
in English the word has a different meaning. It is synonymous with the word pinnacle.
Nope; same meaning here as in Greece.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
Quote:
in English the word has a different meaning. It is synonymous with the word pinnacle.
Nope; same meaning here as in Greece.

Whoops. That should have read knowledge not pinnacle. Not sure how auto correct came up with that one, and I usually proof read my posts fairly carefully. In my defense it was pretty early in the morning. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Corrected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 am 

No biggy, Ron. Me too; I've hit a stage where I'm having some eye issues, (significant distortion and black holes) so I spend more time checking, correcting, rechecking, and re-correcting. I've used every reason in the book, except for the early in the morning one, for my errors. Mind if I borrow it? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 am 

Turns out Samsung bought Harman International,
and within their product line is Lexicon.

This may be a long shot but
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/servicelocation/

Basically it sounds like you need new boards
and the power supply repaired.

Rather than shipping the unit to California,
can new boards be shipped to an authorized Samsung service repair location
in southern Ontario ?

One other issue - know that manufacturers of components,
simply stop making the transistor or chip.
Most notably, Toshiba used to make some fabulous discrete jFET's for audio use,
then they simply discontinued making them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 am 

Sounds like an awesome AVR. The only way that I've been able to get that kind of sound is with high end separates. I owned a 6000$ Arcam AVR and couldn't get it to reproduce sound at anywhere near the level I could with my separates that cost much less.

I suspect you won't find a new AVR for the price of the Anthem that compares. The Anthem will make nice sound, but it's value prop is room correction. So if you like the sound of the old Lexicon, you probably don't need the best in room correction. In truth, most modern AVRs end up breaking anyways on account of HDMI boards being bad.

My advice is to consider going back to separates. I see MC8s go on sale pretty regularly. This would likely be a step up from the AVR. From there it's just a matter of getting the best amp for your money that will match the sound you're used to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:31 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
No biggy, Ron. Me too; I've hit a stage where I'm having some eye issues, (significant distortion and black holes) so I spend more time checking, correcting, rechecking, and re-correcting. I've used every reason in the book, except for the early in the morning one, for my errors. Mind if I borrow it? :lol:

By all means. Admittedly not the strongest excuse, err, I mean reason.

-- 17 Feb 2018 11:34 --

Uunderhill wrote:
Turns out Samsung bought Harman International,
and within their product line is Lexicon.

This may be a long shot but
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/servicelocation/

Basically it sounds like you need new boards
and the power supply repaired.

Rather than shipping the unit to California,
can new boards be shipped to an authorized Samsung service repair location
in southern Ontario ?

One other issue - know that manufacturers of components,
simply stop making the transistor or chip.
Most notably, Toshiba used to make some fabulous discrete jFET's for audio use,
then they simply discontinued making them.

No harm in contacting the parent company I suppose, although in recent forum posts on the subject it has been mentioned that these boards are no longer made or available.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:53 am 

padboy1 wrote:
Sounds like an awesome AVR. The only way that I've been able to get that kind of sound is with high end separates. I owned a 6000$ Arcam AVR and couldn't get it to reproduce sound at anywhere near the level I could with my separates that cost much less.

I suspect you won't find a new AVR for the price of the Anthem that compares. The Anthem will make nice sound, but it's value prop is room correction. So if you like the sound of the old Lexicon, you probably don't need the best in room correction. In truth, most modern AVRs end up breaking anyways on account of HDMI boards being bad.

My advice is to consider going back to separates. I see MC8s go on sale pretty regularly. This would likely be a step up from the AVR. From there it's just a matter of getting the best amp for your money that will match the sound you're used to.

Yes, it was/is an awesome AVR. I had the opportunity to audition it at a local dealer back when it was first released and came away very impressed. The $11,000 price tag however was a small deterrent. Like I mentioned the RV-8 is considered by most in the know to be among the two or three best sounding AVR's ever produced. When I saw the one I own for sale here on CAM I saw an opportunity to use the extra money from the sale of my EAD/Bryston separates to finance the purchase of a new OPPO BDP-105.

I was fully expecting there to be a small drop in sound quality going to the Lexicon so imagine my surprise when I noticed no drop in sound quality. If anything I preferred the slight difference in sound character I heard with the Lex. I was still in possession of my separates when I took delivery of the RV-8 and was able to do direct comparisons.

I am still not fully convinced that returning to separates is the correct course of action. The advantage would be superior sound quality for less or equal investment if purchased used. The cons are rolling the dice on older used equipment and the very real possibility that another piece of obsolete equipment could suddenly give up the ghost on me with little to no warning. Another con is not having the latest and greatest features. This one is a bit of a double edged sword. Some of these features I want and would use while others hold litlle, if any, appeal to me. It's certainly a conundrum.