Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm 

The phrases that drive me nuts. "Testing the Water", "Testing the waters", "Treading the waters". If you are not selling it, why is it in an ad.
Why not just say, "I'm taking offers and if any are high enough I'll sell." Seems like it wastes time for everyone.
Am I being too sensitive? Does if drive anyone else nuts?
Just curious!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm 

No, it's just another audio related item coming up for sale if owner can meet his terms.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:48 pm 

They don't drive me nuts, but I don't waste my time on them either.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

Should read: "looking for just the right sucker." Basically it is playing hard to get. Has to be a millenial thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm 

Fake ads :D . I ignore them along with ads which use minty. Muddled mint belongs in Mojitos.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:16 pm 

Why get bothered? If the item is something you really want, then start negotiating. If not, do what Quad does; move on. Sometimes the "test the waters" is code for "don't waste my time with silly offers".

Life is too short to let other people's ads get under your skin.

For me, I always prefer to test the waters on all my minty audio gear :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm 

PBB wrote:
Should read: "looking for just the right sucker." Basically it is playing hard to get. Has to be a millenial thing.

what makes such an ad for suckers?
Perhaps saying not desperate to sell, price is firm or lowballers will be ignored are less offensive to some. Same difference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 pm 

How about this . Listing goes up for said item. Minutes later someone is asking under wanted ,the very same item. What’s going on here ? Coincidence or other intentions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Why get bothered? If the item is something you really want, then start negotiating. If not, do what Quad does; move on. Sometimes the "test the waters" is code for "don't waste my time with silly offers".

Life is too short to let other people's ads get under your skin.

For me, I always prefer to test the waters on all my minty audio gear :)

Lol Chive on :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
How about this . Listing goes up for said item. Minutes later someone is asking under wanted ,the very same item. What’s going on here ? Coincidence or other intentions?

I have observed that pattern as well. Sounds to me like a negotiation tactic. If anyone thinks the person posting the wanted ad is unaware they are requesting an item already f/s dont kid yourself. They are making it clear they do not find the price or the condition or the sellers response acceptable. Alternately a not so smart seller could do this to create the appearance of existing demand for his item.

Either way, usually it don't smell right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:23 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

I usually figure this is something like "I contacted the seller, but they're already sold... and now I REALLY want them!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

I am laughing. I just placed an ad on a Minty set of speakers (sorry, Tom; couldn't resist).....I got two responses in two minutes. One guy urged me not to sell; he has a pair and loves his set. Nice guy. The other guy (obviously) did not read my ad where I said"don't waste your time or mine" with lowballs. He offered significantly less than my ad. I responded with an offer for him: $200 MORE than my asking.

It's a matter of principle and etiquette. Respect is earned. So, if my ad offends anybody or if you think I am asking too much, or whatever......please just move on. I do with ads I don't agree with. I also respect the advertiser by reading their whole ad before I respond or walk away.

Arguing about ad content, asking price, or wording is a sign that you are taking other people's inventory. It is akin to yelling at your neighbor because he has two bulbs out on his Christmas lights.

By the way, the punter who got his offer "upped" has not responded. Not surprising.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

By the way, the punter who got his offer "upped" has not responded. Not surprising.

We live in Canada, the proper term is "wanker". LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 pm 
Premium User

brownslane wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

I am laughing. I just placed an ad on a Minty set of speakers (sorry, Tom; couldn't resist).....I got two responses in two minutes. One guy urged me not to sell; he has a pair and loves his set. Nice guy. The other guy (obviously) did not read my ad where I said"don't waste your time or mine" with lowballs. He offered significantly less than my ad. I responded with an offer for him: $200 MORE than my asking.

It's a matter of principle and etiquette. Respect is earned. So, if my ad offends anybody or if you think I am asking too much, or whatever......please just move on. I do with ads I don't agree with. I also respect the advertiser by reading their whole ad before I respond or walk away.

Arguing about ad content, asking price, or wording is a sign that you are taking other people's inventory. It is akin to yelling at your neighbor because he has two bulbs out on his Christmas lights.

Ya, when I have a very fair price posted and then get that question " would you sell it for XXXX$ " which is obviously a lowball, I just answer back " would you ? " That usually ends the discussion quietly " LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 pm 

I love everything about CAM but kijiji tactics and surprisingly fickle buyers do drag it down.