Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

I have a pair of Rogers Monitor 2 speakers and they're obvious not original. Any idea of the quality of these replacements. I can't find any info on them

Add . Eight
By Cambridge
Watts 80 rms
res. 38 hz
Freq. Response 35 -2.5k
By Cambridge Made in Canada

Attachments:
IMG_00000049.jpg
IMG_00000049.jpg [ 281.13 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_00000050.jpg
IMG_00000050.jpg [ 275.05 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm 

I bought a similar pair years ago at Addison Electronics in Montreal. I believe this is their house brand...Quality is OK, but not spectacular.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm 

....and I thought I was listening to the original drivers for the last couple of years....damn!!...but they sound good! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm 

that is a Cambridge audio piece under there own name, up till about 10years ago they OEM alot of drivers for other companies (ex PSB) made cheap to great, depending on their clients requests for drivers, aloud small Canadian & US companies to have a custom made driver in Canada without huge numbers needed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm 

The Rogers drivers for the Monitor 2 is hard to find over on this side of the world. I have a pair with mismatched drivers that I am trying to match. The original drivers are Dalesford made for Rogers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 pm 

yes they are Cambridge mass produce for Addison in montreal. they made, add 8, add 10, add 12 and I think add 15 also the # is size of drivers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 am 

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 am 

Made by the now defunct Cambridge Loudspeakers in Cambridge Ontario. Also supplied bass drivers to Audiopshere Research who produced a plethora of speakers the most well known was Dahlquist, PSB when they were made in Waterloo in the later years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

API, or energy, mirage, sound dynamics, paisley... audiosphere audio research, athena, psb, I think some of the original paradigm drivers, and a whole bunch of US companies at times...all used Cambridge mids and bass drivers. Or that the selected components of the given drivers...all came from the same few high efficiency factories. Which is the more likely case.

for example, I was looking to refurb a set of energy speakers, the smaller ones, with the screwed in backs, and the vifa d19 tweeters. They appear to have used a set of cambridge 6" woofers. They all suffer foam rot. I found a set of Sound dynamics r-65 speakers, where the surrounds are still rock solid. With just a quick look to compare by pulling the backs off the Sound dynamics units...it appears to be the same woofer. Not really sure, but initially, it looks to be the same.

Take apart a small psb or energy speaker and then take apart a small 'us built' Infinity speaker -all three from the same year or two of build date, the late 80's and early 90's- and the woofers are, as far as a close inspection can tell...all identical and from the same factory. Happens all the time. Some parameters, like resonance and such might be slightly different but the rest of the salient details are literally identical.

They are not the best, but they are not junk. Good solid efficient (financially) designs, excellent cost/performance ratios. This part had to be true, otherwise they would not have been around for so long.

I actually had a few conversations with their people about ordering drivers on the subjects of costs, quantities, etc...before they went away.