Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 pm 

I have an opportunity to purchase two pairs of floor standing speakers which use the same tweeter and woofer as my bookshelf/stand mount speakers that I own and love. The floor standing models have greater bass extension and capacity for greater volume. The problem is they can't be shipped and require me to drive 900 kms one way and then back 900 kms home to buy them. Do you think I'm being ridiculous even thinking of driving that far to buy floor standing speakers when I already own bookshelf speakers that I enjoy to just get more bass extension. They are in near mint shape and at a great price. I feel a bit insane travelling that distance for speakers. I have a bit of a loud speaker obsession. I have owned dozens of speakers already in my lifetime and it seem it never ends this insatiable desire to hear more speakers until my inevitable death I suppose. Please help a middle aged man with this insanity!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm 

only you can answer if it is worth it to you.
Approach it the other way. if you don't do it will you be at peace with that decision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 pm 

I would drive a few hours each way, but you have to really want them to drive that far.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:48 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
only you can answer if it is worth it to you.
Approach it the other way. if you don't do it will you be at peace with that decision.

That is a good way of looking at it. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:48 pm 

So basically it is about a ten hours drive, one way, including stoppage for gas, food etc. I would, and spend the night at a hotel/motel and leave the next morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:49 pm 
Premium User

If it's rare and a good deal after travel expenses I'd just make a nice long weekend out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm 

Well I'm crazy but I would be willing to do a day drive, grab a hotel over night, and turn and burn with the speakers in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm 

I have driven from here to Barrie, Ontario three times so far to pick up stuff I wanted. 1480 K's each way. But then again I've never been accused of being sensible when it comes to things I want. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm 

If the price is a good one and you really want the speakers, then go for it. You won't be the first person to drive a long way to pick up stereo equipment. I bought a set speakers from a chap who drove from Oakville to Chicago to buy them. He drove to south New Jersey to pick up the Revel speakers that replaced the ones that I bought from him. Enjoy your trip and the new speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
I have driven from here to Barrie, Ontario three times so far to pick up stuff I wanted. 1480 K's each way. But then again I've never been accused of being sensible when it comes to things I want. :lol:

That's great. You make me feel more sane in my thinking. I just love music and speakers actually hi-fi audio equipment. Hence why I'm a member on this site. My friend has offered to pay half my gas there and back so he can hear the speakers as well. It is awfully tempting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 pm 

Scott954 wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

That's great. You make me feel more sane in my thinking. I just love music and speakers actually hi-fi audio equipment. Hence why I'm a member on this site. My friend has offered to pay half my gas there and back so he can hear the speakers as well. It is awfully tempting.

That makes a lot of difference actually ... not so much the gas money, but having a buddy along for the ride. ROAD TRIP !!!

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm 

What happens if you decide not to get it when you see/hear it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm 

Scott954 wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

According to my quick math based on my average gas mileage for my road trip car ( 8 litres per 100 ) you and your pal could do this for about $400.00 bucks for gas, hotel and food. For that you get a road trip with a friend and maybe some really nice speakers. Math works for me. :D

-- 01 Feb 2018 01:04 --

AHarris wrote:
What happens if you decide not to get it when you see/hear it?

Still had the road trip with a pal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:05 pm 

I have driven from Richmond Hill to Ottawa, for a pair of speakers, and would have done it just for the speakers.
I also visited an old friend in Ottawa, which was also worth the trip.
Besides, it was a good excuse for a road trip. Mind you, it was a summer road trip.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:09 pm 

KJT1 wrote:

Still had the road trip with a pal.[/quote]

That could be the best part!!