Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

Hi guys...
Have had the pleasure of using a Canary 601 mkll pre for over 6 months.
It was sweet with tube bloom and drove my 3bst nicely but i have downsized it to a Classè cp30.
Mainly to use a balanced set up with the amp.
But here's the twist. According to the manual it has an optional phono section with both mm and mc.
I just have to go under the hood and set up the built in phono section.
If it works out i can downsize further and divest of my outboard phono pre. Pretty nifty i think.
And from my understanding both Classè and Bryston should pair well.
Really looking forward to getting it set up.
Preamp arrives tomorrow but I'll be setting up Thursday nite.
I even bought a set of xlr cables as this is a connection I've never had between pre and amp.
There is also a balanced input that i am thinking about using for a decent Dac down the road.
I know the cp30 is an older piece but the price was right and i sold the Canary. So far it's coming together but won't know til i get it going.
Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 pm 

Yeah, make sure to double check for phono section. It should be separate board. It was optional I think so not all would have it. It would be bonus if it does.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:10 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi guys...
Have had the pleasure of using a Canary 601 mkll pre for over 6 months.
It was sweet with tube bloom and drove my 3bst nicely but i have downsized it to a Classè cp30.
Mainly to use a balanced set up with the amp.
But here's the twist. According to the manual it has an optional phono section with both mm and mc.
I just have to go under the hood and set up the built in phono section.
If it works out i can downsize further and divest of my outboard phono pre. Pretty nifty i think.
And from my understanding both Classè and Bryston should pair well.
Really looking forward to getting it set up.
Preamp arrives tomorrow but I'll be setting up Thursday nite.
I even bought a set of xlr cables as this is a connection I've never had between pre and amp.
There is also a balanced input that i am thinking about using for a decent Dac down the road.
I know the cp30 is an older piece but the price was right and i sold the Canary. So far it's coming together but won't know til i get it going.
Wish me luck.

Congratulations. I lived with the 30 for quite some time and really enjoyed it. Nice looking, nice build, and very decent sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm 

rotaryphoneuser wrote:
Yeah, make sure to double check for phono section. It should be separate board. It was optional I think so not all would have it. It would be bonus if it does.

And likely unobtanium if it doesn't.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:05 am 

Well this story has a happy ending.
Got the pre this morning. Well packed and as described in the members ad (Thanks Gilles) and opened up the unit.
Sure enough the phono section was there intact.
Set it up and plugged in my TT with moving coil and it sounds great!
Now i have the balanced connection with pre and power and built in phono pre.
Im a very happy camper.
Thanks to all for input on this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 am 
Premium User

Are you referring to the Classe model 30 preamp? I don't think there was ever a model CP-30.

I had the model CP-40 years ago, and it looks nearly identical internally to the model 30. What I learned from the CP-40 is that just because a component has XLR's doesn't mean you should use them. A local Dealer suggested that with that preamp I would get better results with RCA's only rather than XLR's (even though both my amp and CD player were fully balanced). Sure enough the sound improved significantly when I moved to RCAs. XLR's are best when you are dealing with all balanced circuits, which is not that often. Your Bryston isn't balanced internally either, so I'd use RCA's only in your situation, but of course it won't cost anything for you to try and find out which works best for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm 

electrafixion wrote:
Are you referring to the Classe model 30 preamp? I don't think there was ever a model CP-30.

I had the model CP-40 years ago, and it looks nearly identical internally to the model 30. What I learned from the CP-40 is that just because a component has XLR's doesn't mean you should use them. A local Dealer suggested that with that preamp I would get better results with RCA's only rather than XLR's (even though both my amp and CD player were fully balanced). Sure enough the sound improved significantly when I moved to RCAs. XLR's are best when you are dealing with all balanced circuits, which is not that often. Your Bryston isn't balanced internally either, so I'd use RCA's only in your situation, but of course it won't cost anything for you to try and find out which works best for you.

Im not really sure if it is a cp-30 as it says Thirty in writting on the faceplate.
And i have tried it single ended but prefer the sound of it with xlr connections. 100% balanced or not but thanks for sharing.