Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 pm 
Premium User

It's been a very nice ride over 41 years in the music business for this well respected Canadian band. Although not every listeners cup of sonic tea, there is no denying that this trio experienced a level of musicianship and long term friendship that is rarely seen or achieved in few music cultures..

I remember seeing them live at our high school in Kingston in the beginning, I was immediately hooked...

Again, over the years in 1980 doing most of the entire songbook, plus Hemispheres LIVE. That was mesmerizing. Despite the continual timing and complicated rhythmic complexity, the music was so technically tight you couldn't get a pin in between notes with a jack-hammer !

Although I will miss our outstanding Canadian icons on the world stage, I have a hard-drive mindful of memories that I doubt will ever be matched.

Thank you Geddy, Alex and Neil for your unbelievable contribution . You have done your country DAMN proud !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

From someone who has spent many years playing. Some years on stage, the rest for family and friends.

In my humble opinion;

From 'Caress of Steel' to 'Moving Pictures' - a band always pushing the envelope and an inspiration for many, many musicians...

Think I'll spin 'Hemispheres'. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

where posted?

is this just referring to pearts comments or has something new developed?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 pm 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:
where posted?

is this just referring to Pearts comments or has something new developed?

I actually her this announcement last night on Toronto CP24 news station. The anchor was quoted as saying this decision, although jointly agreed , came primarily from Alex Lifeson, citing the band members jointly agreed there are no further plans for recording or touring and felt this was a time where they needed to focus more on family, yet the anchor also did mention the word " retirement " ...

Being a musician myself ( but certainly no where even close to commercial standards ) , I will say that after this length of time, it may be difficult not to involve yourself in private projects or studio work as it's the only life you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm 

that's from 2 years ago is it not?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/ ... m-touring/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm 

Alex Lifeson has been quoted that the band is over but it doesn't seem like an official "Rush" communique. More like Neil Peart's comments about touring again. Alex says he is still making music but not with Rush. Google it for a more definitive information.

If they do retire, they had a good run.

They were my first concert was back when Fly by Night was just released. I saw them at the Ottawa Exhibition Band Shell. Quite the experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:
that's from 2 years ago is it not?

I cannot confirm the actual timing of this development/announcement, only that I heard it last night on CP24 with the anchors commentary . If I have delivered old news, my apologies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm 

It is as recent as yesterday as i heard the announcement on a local radio station in mid afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm 

from Wikipedia .... guess my donations paid off lol!!

On January 19, 2018, Lifeson said: '"We have no plans to tour or record any more. We're basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rush-g ... ally-done/

understood the end of touring but darn...

to quote "a farewell to the kings"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 pm 

Saw 'em at Wembley Arena, London (UK!) in '79 - never forget it!
Original? not half.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 am 

I saw Rush live twice, their Farewell To Kings and Presto tours. Both were great shows and as we know, this is a band that is always on their game when they play live. I used to live in Thornhill where I saw Alex Lifeson at the Beckers variety store a few times. I met him once and asked about the latest album they were working on.

Alex told me it was one of their more difficult productions but that the band was happy with the work. It reminded him of when they recorded Caress Of Steel. He was referring to Hemispheres. So it was very cool to hear this great album after talking to Alex about it in such detail. He was waiting for someone to pick him up so he had some time to chat, very nice guy who appreciates his fans. I talked to him about the tours and he said the band almost always enjoyed touring, going by bus from town to town. Neil used to go separately on his motorcycle from show to show. I told Alex I have a copy of their first album on the original Moon Records label with the distribution stamp. He said " too bad you don't have it with you, I would have autographed it". Dang, too bad indeed.

I think they called it at the right time to retire. Hopefully we will see the odd one off show from time to time but it looks like Geddy Alex and Neil are ready to enjoy their retirement. What a great run and it's amazing how consistently good Rush has been over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 am 

Yes, a sad update for Rush fans & musicians alike!
My 1st show was at Massey Hall in 1976 (they recorded All the worlds a Stage!) when a high school friend bought me a ticket, did not know much about them but his friends had a connection with the band I understand. Most fans knew official retirement was inevitable, just as athletes recognize when they cant be true to the level they played at. They certainly proved they could push musical boundaries and stay at the top of their game. As a trio they proved they could sound much bigger with complexity and musicianship that is hard to find today. In many interviews they said they did what they wanted not what others may have suggested. A true music success story & they are Canadian Too! They have represented our country well. I have been honoured to see them live many times in their home town Toronto and always looked forward to their new releases over the many years. Just had Caress of Steel vinyl on, not a commercial success story initially for them but a gem, I must have played it allot over the years as it is pretty noisy! Still a fan & will always be. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 am 

This does not sound like a formal announcement and it is not mentioned on their site. Maybe they will make a formal announcement later. I guess I'll need to be 'Finding my Way' on my own...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:32 am 

I saw them on their first big tour when they were the opening act for Nazareth. Blew Naz out of the water in crowd response and they never looked back. Found a few mint condition early albums recently that brought back great teenage memories.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 am 

first saw them as the opening act for Kiss. I recall Gene Simmons talking about touring with them. Kiss members would party after the show and Rush members would retreat to their rooms and read.