Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HDTracks in Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 am 

I searched the forums but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. If this is a repeat topic I apologize.

My question is simple: every single title I tried to purchase/download from HDTracks is "not available in my region due to copyright rules". I understand the copyright rules but am I also doing something wrong?

Thanks
V

Post subject: Re: HDTracks in Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40320

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38757

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34017

I don't think it's your fault, I think the search doesn't go back as far in time as these threads. (I have them in my "view your posts" list.)

Lots of good info and alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 am 

pierre_b wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40320

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38757

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34017

I don't think it's your fault, I think the search doesn't go back as far in time as these threads. (I have them in my "view your posts" list.)

Lots of good info and alternatives.

Thanks, exploring ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
I searched the forums but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. If this is a repeat topic I apologize.

My question is simple: every single title I tried to purchase/download from HDTracks is "not available in my region due to copyright rules". I understand the copyright rules but am I also doing something wrong?

Thanks
V

I'm sure this will be an unpopular reply but when it's not legally available for download, I know what my next option will ALWAYS be. There's no shortage of illegal download sources. Really smart business plan to make it easier to get your company's product for free illegally than it is to purchase legally.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 am 

Sorry, there are generally legal ways to acquire the content you wish to consume.

Try 7digital.ca or buy the CD and rip to your library.

Try Tidal for high quality streaming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am 

There's something here that I don't quite understand.,

If I buy, say, a novel, when I'm finished with it, I' m free to sell it, trade it, give it away....no "legality issues."

Why is a cd any different?

In answer to your question about obtaining files....I ran an ad on Kijiji, saying "will lend you my 1 terabyte of Blues FLAC files, for your 1 terabyte of Jazz FLAC files."

I was overwhelmed with responses, and plan on doing the same thing with R&B, and Doo-Wop files.
Doing this, I was introduced to many new artists, and went on to buy their cd's.

Illegal??.........So sue me already!

del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 am 

Or try Pro Studio Masters, and support a canadian company...
b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am 

PSM is great and often cheaper than HD Tracks - their library is very small however in comparison.

Something VERY easy to do to get around HD Tracks' bull$hit region-limiter is to use an add-on in Firefox or Chrome called Hexx VPN. You can literally go to the album you want, see that it's region-limited, turn on Hexx and change your location to the US, refresh and see that the track list is now available.

Sadly this does not work with Acoustic Sound because they check your "mailing" and billing address to see if it's a US address, not your IP location. I suspect HD Tracks doesn't care because they're getting money regardless vs. AS which for whatever reason is very restrictive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am 

Thanks all for the support and your thoughts. So there are definitely a few options to get my hd files and it's probably just a matter of preference. To me, PSM sounds like a great idea. Now, the bigger question: am I actually getting a true hd recorded and mixed music or am I just getting an upsampling which I can also do myself?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 am 

I think HDtrack kind of sucks with the not available in your area stuff.

I use both Psm and 7digital regularly .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm 

VegliaAudio wrote:
Thanks all for the support and your thoughts. So there are definitely a few options to get my hd files and it's probably just a matter of preference. To me, PSM sounds like a great idea. Now, the bigger question: am I actually getting a true hd recorded and mixed music or am I just getting an upsampling which I can also do myself?

https://www.hdtracks.com/quality

Rest assured, they're not fooling around. Although I stopped buying from them (on those occassions I could find something available to us Canucks) once I switched to Tidal. My next move is to an MQA DAC to take full advantage of Tidal's 24 bit files.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:21 pm 

msommers wrote:
PSM is great and often cheaper than HD Tracks - their library is very small however in comparison.

Something VERY easy to do to get around HD Tracks' bull$hit region-limiter is to use an add-on in Firefox or Chrome called Hexx VPN. You can literally go to the album you want, see that it's region-limited, turn on Hexx and change your location to the US, refresh and see that the track list is now available.

Sadly this does not work with Acoustic Sound because they check your "mailing" and billing address to see if it's a US address, not your IP location. I suspect HD Tracks doesn't care because they're getting money regardless vs. AS which for whatever reason is very restrictive.

Acoustic Sounds does sell files to Canadians, that is the difference. Now not all the files are available to residents of Canada, but many of them are, unless this has changed recently. I haven't been on their site lately.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm 

It's the same crap that HD Tracks does -- region limiting on some content (actually a lot on AC). The difference between AC and HDT is that with AC there is no VPN workaround vs. HDT there is (as I discussed previously).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

msommers wrote:
It's the same crap that HD Tracks does -- region limiting on some content (actually a lot on AC). The difference between AC and HDT is that with AC there is no VPN workaround vs. HDT there is (as I discussed previously).

Not defending HDTracks, but we need to realize that regional restrictions are not "crap they do", it's copyright environment within which they operate.

My bigger concern is whether in most cases they just sell 44.1 files upsampled to 96 or higher. Based on a number of comments here where members can't really tell the difference between HD files and regular CDs, I am concerned that certain percentage of "HD" files is in fact just an upsampled version of the PCM file.

I was experimenting with JRiver's upsampling to DSD output. I would say that over a long run the sound is less fatiguing that way but it will be very difficult to pick DSD upsampled output over straight output in A/B test. But the bottom line is that I can upsample myself, no need to spend $25/album for somebody else to do that for me.

I guess the question is how do I really know which album is HD from microphone to FLAC and which is HD just from file to upsampled file???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

I think PSM is pretty good. Selection gotten better these days.

I read some articles re HDTracks' stuff being just upsampled and/or 24/32bits just padded with 0's.... I hope it's not true cause otherwise it's a scam.