Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amp stands
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 pm 

Where are you guys purchasing your amp stands? These Salamanders are nice, but I'm having a hard time finding them in Canada:
https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks ... ier-stand/

Post subject: Re: Amp stands
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

Check out Steve Blinn. Great quality and fair price. I have 2 of his amp stands. I dont think your going to find much here in Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm 

Pictures is terrible but made my own. 2"+ thick cherry and added spikes. A competent local woodworker should be able to make you something just as good for the same money.

Attachments:
WIN_20180121_18_07_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180121_18_07_42_Pro.jpg [ 224.39 KiB | Viewed 1544 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm 

leftside wrote:
Where are you guys purchasing your amp stands? These Salamanders are nice, but I'm having a hard time finding them in Canada:
https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks ... ier-stand/

There are numerous places that sell butcher block tops - in maple or walnut

Various types of legs can be bought from LeeValley Tools.

PLus there are tons of other leg designs available on line.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm 

I’ve had store bought amp stands before, but there is a certain pleasure from making such things yourself. Devoid of any construction skills, I did find using ‘black pipe’ (gas pipe) available in almost any length and several diameters a cheap and easy way to make an amp stand. Here’s mine spray painted red and holding my last Electronic Depot Mcintosh purchase (great guys)(no, I was not paid to say so). Cost was about $30.

Attachments:
A14460D3-3A99-48E8-965C-13343DAEEF49.jpeg
A14460D3-3A99-48E8-965C-13343DAEEF49.jpeg [ 312.63 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm 

Canadiansnowland,

Nice looking collection of DR era Classe there. Cheers!

Please tell me the make of the monitors? Look familiar but can't place it.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 am 

Maybe its just me, (and I'm sure many will jump all over me over this), but I have to wonder why it is that everyone is willing to spend thousands -or tens of thousands on equipment -and even cables but are always looking to do an el cheapo stand or rack made out of some butcher block something or another or threaded rod/pipe parts bin thingy. None of these look anywhere near as nice as a Steve Blinn or similar professionally designed and built unit. These units also have isolation and cable management options which go a long way to completing a system both acoustically and visually. The same seems to apply for acoustic treatments, where bargain basement mentality seems to rule. No wonder the wives complain....

let the flaming commence!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 am 

No flaming. It's against the Forum Rules. Sanctions apply.

spinaker01 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:55 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
Maybe its just me, (and I'm sure many will jump all over me over this), but I have to wonder why it is that everyone is willing to spend thousands -or tens of thousands on equipment -and even cables but are always looking to do an el cheapo stand or rack made out of some butcher block something or another or threaded rod/pipe parts bin thingy. None of these look anywhere near as nice as a Steve Blinn or similar professionally designed and built unit. These units also have isolation and cable management options which go a long way to completing a system both acoustically and visually. The same seems to apply for acoustic treatments, where bargain basement mentality seems to rule. No wonder the wives complain....

Some people do not care about cosmetics and will argue that a DIY rack will perform equally as well as expensive commercially available products.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 am 

johnww wrote:
Canadiansnowland,

Nice looking collection of DR era Classe there. Cheers!

Please tell me the make of the monitors? Look familiar but can't place it.

Thanks,

John

The sub is an Angstrom profondo. The monitors are Angstrom signature 8's. Very old, sure I have had them for 20 years.

-- 22 Jan 2018 17:07 --

spinaker01 wrote:

To each their own, I suppose. Not really a believer that a stand will make a significant difference in sound ( except for turntables). As for cheap butcher block, take a look at Timbernation. Really nice stands IMO and not really what I would call cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am 

brf wrote:
spinaker01 wrote:

Some people do not care about cosmetics and will argue that a DIY rack will perform equally as well as expensive commercially available products.

spark

Attachments:
Screenshot-2018-1-22 Consumerism’s Dirty Little Secret Are We Buying All the Wrong Things .png
Screenshot-2018-1-22 Consumerism’s Dirty Little Secret Are We Buying All the Wrong Things .png [ 31.49 KiB | Viewed 1163 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am 

spinaker01 wrote:

It often goes something like, 2" butcher block from home depo $49.00, same piece of wood at a boutique, $499.00. Amp stands are one of the easiest things to make, form and function. Often good DIY looks better too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 am 

Oneoffaudio- great response to spinaker01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am 

Thanks for the info. There are some good ideas here. I really like the Steve Blinn designs or going with custom stands from a local wood worker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 pm 

I like how he hides the thread and fills it in with shot http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthrea ... ereo-stand