Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 am 

I recently purchased the gear below and might be having a compatibility or hardware issue.

The DacMagic 100 & Antique Sound Lab HB-1 are both "new to me" seemingly in mint condition as I listened to both of them at the seller's home before purchasing.

M-200's are working perfectly
I've direct driven the HB-1/Kefs with a CD/DVD player and it worked fine.
Laptop/DacMagic/AVR/speakers combination works well
Laptop/DacMagic/ASL HB-1/Kef M200's sounds like the music is emanating from a tunnel and the music, esp vocals, is highly recessed.
For instance via Tidal usb w/ 96k light on Dac: Bill Evans Waltz For Debbie sounds reasonably cohesive but still mid fi. The Bill Evans / Tony Bennett album sounds like Tony is singing from 40 feet away in a tunnel and the piano is about 1/2 way between the listener and Tony.

Is there a compatibility issue or a problem with the HB-1? Would weak tubes have this effect?

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting help you can offer.

shawnwes

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/AT440MLa/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Toshiba HDDVD/Dacmagic 100/Teac AG D9320/PSB GT1's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:00 am 

The DAC Magic 100 has an o/p of 2.3V rms and the input sensitivity of the HB1 is 1V. The Dacmagic might be over-driving the input of the HB1.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 am 

hardeng wrote:
The DAC Magic 100 has an o/p of 2.3V rms and the input sensitivity of the HB1 is 1V. The Dacmagic might be over-driving the input of the HB1.

Thanks hardeng! That's the kind of knowledgeable answer I was hoping to get.

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/AT440MLa/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Toshiba HDDVD/Dacmagic 100/Teac AG D9320/PSB GT1's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am 

When something sounds hollow and distant, I always suspect that something is out of phase ... and phase problems can be compounded by chaining components together.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am 

My vote would be its a phase issue. If the polarity if one of your signals gets inverted you will find the sound hollow, distant and hard to discern where sounds are coming from. Check speaker polarity and if anything, use an online or downloaded phase test and see if everything checks out.

I use these guys : http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I just noticed the Kef 200 are IEMs, it could also be that the headphone jack is wired out of phase and the speaker terminals are wired correctly.

HTH

Last edited by petersch on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 am 

Hi,

hardeng is quite right. It has to be a mismatch between the DacMagic output and the ASL input. You have checked all the other options and good for you for doing that. There is probably a way to buffer the output of the DacMagic - you will need something that is transparent but that has say a 25 K or 50K ohm volume control. A really minimalist passive pre-amp would work with maybe just one set of RCA ins and outs and that would solve the problem. If you are handy you could DIY one with an ALPS volume pot.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

hardeng is quite right. It has to be a mismatch between the DacMagic output and the ASL input. You have checked all the other options and good for you for doing that. There is probably a way to buffer the output of the DacMagic - you will need something that is transparent but that has say a 25 K or 50K ohm volume control. A really minimalist passive pre-amp would work with maybe just one set of RCA ins and outs and that would solve the problem. If you are handy you could DIY one with an ALPS volume pot.

Cheers,
David Neice

I think the 2 of you are right. I read on Head-fi that there are some decent low cost in line attenuators that are avail just for such issues. Apparently it's quite common with older preamps and although of recent vintage the ASL buffer is no doubt an older design.
Of course one could probably play around with resistor values as well until the correct one was found.

Thanks guys

Shawnwes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 am 

You are adding a lot of circuitry and connections into the signal path. Do you really need the tube buffer? I have tried a few of them, and they really don't do much for the sound.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
You are adding a lot of circuitry and connections into the signal path. Do you really need the tube buffer? I have tried a few of them, and they really don't do much for the sound.

It gives me a headphone outlet that I didn't have before for late night listening. I got it at a good price so will probably wind up selling them both and moving on to something like an all in one dac/headphone amp.