Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 pm 

I can usually always hear differences between cables.

A few days ago, I met a business aquaintance who is an avid audiophile and a cable fanatic with a pretty impressive collection of cables between $300 to 1.5k

He raved about how he had just discovered pro audio XLR cables (mogami gold) replacing his $300 ones. No fancy jacket or bragging rights, but he seemed pretty convinced.

How about it ? Anyone ever went this route?

Think I'll try it just for the fun of it. Heck, I even tried the Home Depot extension cord as speaker cables years ago following some reviews in Absolute Sound. The experiment had only lasted a week ;)

Last edited by milag on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 pm 

30,000$ Nordost XLR cables use neutrik xlr connectors. Huh? I can order those an solder them myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:42 pm 

milag wrote:
I can always hear differences between cables, mostly interconnects.

A few days ago, I met a business aquaintance who is an avid audiophile and a cable fanatic with a pretty impressive collection of cables between $300 to 1.5k

He raved about how he had just discovered pro audio XLR cables (mogami gold) replacing his $300 ones. No fancy jacket or bragging rights, but he seemed pretty convinced.

Think I'll try it just for the fun of it. Heck, I even tried the Home Depot extension cord as speaker cables years ago following some reviews in Absolute Sound. The experiment had only lasted a week ;)

Imagination is a wonderful thing.

If you have to squint to hear some subtle difference odds are it isn't there.

I have been running long pro XLR cables across the room between preamp and mono blocks for years and have not lost any sleep over this ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 am 

milag wrote:
I can always hear differences between cables, mostly interconnects.

The Mogami gold quad cable is excellent stuff. It’s what most studios use. Also balanced cables tend to have less variations in sound from one brand to another compared to single ended ones In my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 am 

milag wrote:

A well designed fully balanced system will have a lower noise level than an unbalanced system. Pro's use quality made XLR cables as they are more resistant to noise and offer more secure connections to than rca.

I went fully balanced (source/dac/pre-amp/amps) years ago and would never go back to an unbalanced system with rca jacks. The one adjective that people use to describe the sound of my system is 'clear', music sounds clearer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 am 

Its impressive that Mogami publish specs for the actual cable used
http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf

I've very happy with XLR cables from Prime Cables, e.g.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-310406-cab ... #sku310406
Excellent mating characteristics, nice solid cable overall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:12 am 

hardeng wrote:
Its impressive that Mogami publish specs for the actual cable used
http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf

I've very happy with XLR cables from Prime Cables, e.g.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-310406-cab ... #sku310406
Excellent mating characteristics, nice solid cable overall.

Thanks for the Mogami info,

I guess that if a $ 50.00 Mogami Gold quad cable can be trusted to pass on the delicate information of a $ 4,000 Neuman U-87 microphone, it could be good enough for most of us!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 am 

I myself have never fully understood the uber expensive cables, if a studio uses pro cables like the Mogami for instance how does one come to a conclusion using more expensive cables makes any sense, if a pro audio cables are good enough to record with I can only assume they are good enough to use for playback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am 

creimes wrote:
I myself have never fully understood the uber expensive cables, if a studio uses pro cables like the Mogami for instance how does one come to a conclusion using more expensive cables makes any sense, if a pro audio cables are good enough to record with I can only assume they are good enough to use for playback.

To a certain measure, I think the same could be said for headphones. Countless recording studios (and recording artists for monitoring their own performance live) use the legendary and inexpensive Sony MDR-7506. When I sold my Sennheiser HD 600's years ago this is what I purchased. Not saying it is better, but better than many out there at 2-3X the price.

https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-head ... -mdr-7506/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:28 am 
Premium User

I would take Mogami or Canare cables with Neutrik connectors over pretty well any 'audiophile' balanced cable i've come across - maybe the LINN balanced silver cable would be an exception (and it's tough jacket would almost make it great for pro audio! ) I've used miles and miles of Mogami and Canare in studios and on stage, they are highly regarded for a reason. Not only do many recording studios have tons of it to connect various gear and rooms but many of the actual recording consoles get completely re-wired with it when they are bought/sold/brought up to today's standards....i'd wager that more recordings go through Mogami cable before they hit your ears than anything else even - sure there are other popular brands in Europe (Van Damme is very popular)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm 

Who carries Mogami Gold in Ontario? I need six feet, already have Neutrik connectors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm 

I'm not trying to start WWIII here but I've found that there is less of a difference between balanced cables than there is between single ended.
I've used Mogami, Van Damme, Canare and XLO (my current cables). There is a difference but its small. I'm not sure I could tell them apart reliably.
So if they're all so good why did I change them? My therapist and I are working on that one. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

creimes wrote:
That is an overgeneralization. Lots of recording studios use cables other than "pro audio"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 pm 

The trend now in studio/mastering builds is AES/EBU qualified cabling plus Cat5/6.
If it has the bandwidth for digital....

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

I too have been using the Mogami quads since, well the beginning. T