All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm 

Current setup:
- Denon AVR-988 (115Wpc)
- 2 x Polk RTi A9 as fronts
- Boston Accoustics CS225C as center
- Klipsch R12SW sub

Usage:
50% movies - Smart TV (Samsung) generates audio via apps, optical out to Denon. All speakers used.
50% music - Chromecast v2 connected to Denon's HDMI, source is Spotify. I have the Denon set for 2.1 (using the sub) because I like it when i'm listening to techno (plz don't judge :wink:)

I love my Denon as a receiver (love the multitude of inputs for all the other things it is connected to, configurability etc), but...

Problem:
... the Denon is dying. I'm already using the B-channels for the Polks, because the A-right-channel cuts out all the time. The B-channels don't do this yet, but I notice the left channel sometimes doesn't come on at lower power. I'm guessing bad caps in the Denon, not sure.
I've also heard the Polk RTi A9s will sound a lot better when "properly" powered, ie. 115 watts is not enough for them (I hear). Yes, I do listen to my music very, very loud. Only when the house is empty of course :lol:

Plan:
Keep the Denon and use its pre-outs to connect to a new power-amp that will better drive the Polks. This assumes all faults are in circuitry after the pre-outs. Seems reasonable given the huge difference between the A-channels and B-channels of the amp.
I have ca. $400 to play with upgrading my system. The priority is on increasing the quality of music playback (not movies).
I live near Hamilton/Ontario.

Questions!
  1. Do you have a better plan?
  2. Otherwise, for poweramp(s) for the Polks -- what wattage is really required? Feel free to tell me my budget is ridiculous, i'm not knowledgeable about prices
  3. Should I use the new poweramp(s) exclusively to power the Polks, or should I bi-amp with the Denon? If bi-amping, which way round: presumably the poweramp(s) should power the woofers and the Denon should power the rest?
  4. Do you see a good candidate poweramp(s) on the classifieds I should look at?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:15 pm 

Imo...

Spend a couple hundred or less on a used pro amp....what happens if issue is before output stage in ht receiver? Just wasting coin...

Biamping seems like an odd option since output on denon is in simple terms already pooched.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 pm 

I use a Adcom GFA-6000/Yamaha AVR pre out combo with my Polk RTi10, RTi6, and CSi6 setup. The external amp really helped the RTi10 bass output. The GFA-6000 weights 32 lbs and claims 100 watts x 3 for the front 60 watts x 2 for the rear. Best part is they can be found for 200$-300$.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm 

ae86 wrote:
I use a Adcom GFA-6000/Yamaha AVR pre out combo with my Polk RTi10, RTi6, and CSi6 setup. The external amp really helped the RTi10 bass output. The GFA-6000 weights 32 lbs and claims 100 watts x 3 for the front 60 watts x 2 for the rear. Best part is they can be found for 200$-300$.

The Adcom is a good suggestion.

If you can somehow scape up around 1,000-1,200 try to fit a used Anthem 225 in your system. Explosive dynamics and full featured tank.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm 

K...
Firstly the original poster only wanted a 2 channel amp not a 5 , second a GFA 6000 for 2 to 3 hundred bucks is unlikely, thirdly the Anthem 225 is gonna help the op How? Also seen em as low as 8...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm 

agree with the pro amp approach. they will have trim controls to level match with the centre and sub outputs. My Crown xti1000 was under $250.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm 

Totally agree with those Crown amps. Used to have vintage Crown amp.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 am 

Hmm so what wattage for a pro amp? I saw in another thread 200 Watts per channel was recommended for the RTi A9s, that reasonable?

@BinkyTheCat, sounds like you're saying replace the denon... with what, and what total budget in mind?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:42 am 

It's not just the amount of watts but the quality of...how loud do you want? Is what you have now enough?

Buying an amp is a possible bandaid solution...thus my minimal invest approach.

As for budget how can l answer that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:42 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The "A" and "B" channels on your Denon AVR-988 are from the same two amplifier channels. If the right channel on "A" is cutting out but not on "B" then there is likely a bad connection either in the amplifier itself on the "A" speaker connections or in the connections you have made externally with your speaker wires. What are you using for connectors on your speaker cables?

Michael,
PC audio,
http://www.pcaudio.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am 

mwilson1964 wrote:
The "A" and "B" channels on your Denon AVR-988 are from the same two amplifier channels. If the right channel on "A" is cutting out but not on "B" then there is likely a bad connection either in the amplifier itself on the "A" speaker connections or in the connections you have made externally with your speaker wires. What are you using for connectors on your speaker cables?

Hi Michael, thanks, yeah I double-checked the wires & continuity tested from the speaker to amp with a multi-meter -- no issues there. The issue is definitely inside the chassis of the Denon. When the A-channel "cuts out" it stays out, ie. you have to power-cycle the Denon to get it back. The B-channel doesn't do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Your A and B "channels" are using the same two channels with the speaker outputs selected by your AB switch. Perhaps the fault lies in the switch itself? If it works on B then there is nothing wrong with the amplifier channels just the way they are connected to the A and B binding posts themselves. Are you using bare wire speaker connections or banana plugs on the ends of your speaker wire?

Michael,
PC audio,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 am 

mwilson1964 wrote:
Your A and B "channels" are using the same two channels with the speaker outputs selected by your AB switch. Perhaps the fault lies in the switch itself? If it works on B then there is nothing wrong with the amplifier channels just the way they are connected to the A and B binding posts themselves. Are you using bare wire speaker connections or banana plugs on the ends of your speaker wire?

Michael,
PC audio,

confirmed? on some amps, like my current one, there's dedicated amplification I believe. mind u more of "zone" thing...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Yes. The receiver in question contains seven amplifier channels two of which may be configured to provide a powered zone 2. The A/B is merely a convenience to power up to two pairs of speakers with a common source from a common pair of front amplifier channels. Please have look at page 9 of the owner's manual for your Denon AVR-988 for clarification if needed. The owner's manual download is provided in the download section near the bottom of the page linked below. I hope this helps you out with your problem.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometh ... ers/avr988

Michael,
PC audio,