Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 pm 

Wondering if the Chromecast would result in any loss or change to signal.

I only say that because the Chromecast (Google home app) has bass and treble controls that it presumably does in digital domain.

I am using an optical cable between Chromecast and dac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 pm 

Max bit rate is 96/24 through optical. If that’s not an issue, fire away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 am 

Hi there. I am also using Chromecast Audio, and I am forever debating whether to get a seperate DAC. The analogue out seems to be putting out a pretty decent SQ into my iFi Audio and my headgear. Can I ask what external DAC you´re using and how it compares to CCA´s internal DAC ?
Tnaks a lot for answering,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 am 

hemants – will assume you are inquiring if the Chromecast is bitperfect or not. I am sure you know, any media player that controls volume and or tone or DSP in the digital domain is not bitperfect. Don’t know how much that concerns you, some are quite fixated on whether they are streaming bitperfect – personally I think if adding DSP or tone is more pleasing to a user then who cares. As for the device itself, it will only process the digital information it is given so will assume the hardware is not modifying the signal per say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:47 am 

Huge difference using external DAC vs analog out. Using benchmark DAC1

The first watt is the most important.

And yes wondering if bitperfect if tone controls are set to neutral.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 am 

Well, Benchmark DAC1 surely is a fantastic DAC from what I've read on forums, but it is unavailable currently and is well out of my budget anyway. I did try the Schiit Modi multibit but I must admit I did not hear much of a difference if any.
So now I'm thinking of either getting a better DAC ( better than the Shiit which is quite popular among Headfiers) like e.g.Rega DAC-R or Marantz HD-DAC1, to complement the CCA, or, grab something like Cambridge Audio CXN or Bluesound Node 2 and forget an external DAC altogether. What do you guys think?
Thanks for any feedback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 am 

Chromecast doesn't change anything, it just passes on your sound data.

Chromecast is a great sounding DAC and a brilliant streamer. Don't believe the haters, it sounds just great on its own and you don't need an external DAC to get wonderful sound quality.

I think people just can't believe something so small and inexpensive can sound so good, but remember you have the smartest engineers in the world working at Google, and hundreds of them worked on the Chromecast product and continue to improve it. As pretty as my fancy hand-made Italian DAC is, it probably had a team of 10 working on it and I bet if they were smart enough to work at Google, they would be working at Google.

DACs are digital devices and Chromecast was designed by masters of the digital domain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:36 am 

Chromecast is not bitperfect if you adjust bass or treble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm 

Hikoki wrote:
Hi there. I am also using Chromecast Audio, and I am forever debating whether to get a seperate DAC. The analogue out seems to be putting out a pretty decent SQ into my iFi Audio and my headgear. Can I ask what external DAC you´re using and how it compares to CCA´s internal DAC ?
Tnaks a lot for answering,

Separate dac makes a huge difference. Actually I bought it for the garage using analogue but I tried it on my Krell HTS and MF M1, both are a huge improvement. Having said that I use Tidal and it also is far better quality than others I tried on Chromecast. I still find Tidal even better thru my OPPO player though using coax. Still only cd bit rate but there is an audible difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:34 am 

hemants wrote:
Chromecast is not bitperfect if you adjust bass or treble

Are the Volume control and Equalizer features in the App on the source device or in the Chromcast Audio streamer :?:

Seems that it will be bitperfect if you control volume and tone in your amp instead :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 am 

The CCA is capable of bit perfect playback from 16/44.1 through 24/96.

Bit Perect Testing of the $35 Chromecast Audio

Also, it sounds very good. Incredibly good for it's price. I use one in my main system with Roon (re-clocking DSD and 24/192 files to 96/24) with some big ticket gear and it sounds very good. So good that I haven't bothered with an Auralic Aries or Bryston BDP-2 yet. I'll likely try one out at some point to see the differences (which are likely subtle). The Bryston's MSRP is around 100x the price of the CCA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:08 am 

For what its worth i got the bluesound node 2 and now have access to full mqa from the app on my android phone.

Internal dac is quite good but coming through mytek brooklyn its damn near a perfect combo!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:39 am 

(Off topic: can you control Tidal on a Comcast streaming device from an iPhone? Thinking for a bedroom system ... Thanks in advance)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:36 am 

I'm running my chromecast through a cheapie chinese amazon dac. Considering upgrading it to something a little better but no immediate rush. My main problem with the analog out was that it was noisy as hell when I powered it from a USB hub. it really wany\ted isolated power. but I didn't want to have to dedicate an AC outlet for it when I had a perfectly good 5-port USB hub already juicing other devices.