Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm 

Fun to watch How Its Made video staring a Canadian made CD player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQDB1JK5r6E&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm 

Enjoyable, thanks. I have owned several pieces of Simaudio gear in my time, and regard their equipment very highly. It was great to see some of the work that goes into producing their pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm 

Love their line. I have the Supernova CD player. Will probably be with me forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 pm 

Looks like much of the cost goes to the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm 

Sadly it makes them look like they're just box stuffers. Where are the circuit boards made? Transport component looks cheap. There should have been more discussion of the research and design work - I'm a bit underwhelmed with what was shown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm 

I used to work for PPG ( windshield factory) we did pass on that tv show. It is very neat to see how some product are made. but I find it dangerous for industrial processing secrets. when you show your process. competitors will look at your process to try to duplicate some of most critical part of the process.
we where the most technicly advanced car winsheild factory in the world, when they came and did the tour.but since then they actualy replicate our plant in the USA and upgraded with even more advanced technology.and we have now closed down. building as been emptied, and after 3 year mt. the building as been destroyed. dust is the only thing left.
I have nothing against that programme, but it is something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 am 

I would think there are proprietary components/chemicals and processes that goes into PPG’s manufacturing of windshields. Obviously they do not want to reveal any trade secrets to the competition. But an audio component such as the Simaudio DAC/Player within the video is assembled with off the shelf components and can easily be reversed engineered should a competitor wish to know how it ticks. Don’t think they are giving up any trade secrets by filming part of their assembly process.

I’ve done contract networking work for PPG – was at a new chemical storage facility they just built (the warehouse was empty). Interesting experience. I’ve done contract work for many large manufactures, Rubbermaid, Ford even Dupont to name a few. But PPG was the only company that required I was certified through their own safety standards. I even had to go through their certification to operate a scissor lift despite my company provided the lift. Damn thing broke down when I was fully extended 30' up! An electrician on another lift had to come save the fair maiden for the hydraulic release valves weren't working.

I enjoy these videos - thanks for the link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 am 

making a windshield is also readily available component, flat raw glass. it is what you do with it that is important. if you want a winsheild that will not break too easaly, but yet easaly enough that you don t brake your neck going trough it. and also being without any chip around the edge, and without wave (form) process is everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 am 

Didn't they do a McIntosh amp a while back?

Spent most of the time building the chassis then screwed and plugged in a few boards.

Last edited by riffer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 am 

Great video, thanks for sharing. Gotta love another Canadian success story. Fantastic looking unit and obviously well built.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:06 pm 

The problem with these videos is twofold: the amount of time allotted to properly demonstrate the complexity of what goes into the entire creation of, say, a 650D Transport/DAC is way too short. Unfortunately we cannot control that. The second problem is the risk of disclosure of sensitive and proprietary information and/or processes. While in some cases this would certainly add pizzazz to the video clip, full disclosure isn't possible.
To answer another question asked in this thread by username hollinger, we have our own SMT (Surface Mount Assembly) line in the factory. We stuff our own boards. We also have our own in-house machining department too, with a 5-axis and 4-axis Haas CNC equipment. This is used for manufacturing much of the chassis. There is also assembly work done on the transport mechanism which was not shown in the video to keep it within its time frame.
We had to pick what aspect of manufacturing a 650D to show, and each choice (there were other choices beyond these mentioned) presented compromises in that showing everything is not possible.

Costa Koulisakis
Vice President | Customer Experience
Simaudio Ltd.