Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
Holy crap, my fairly new and excellent Gigabtye I-7 laptop has suffered death by Merlot, not my spill, honest, but someone else's.
Board and drive done and data not recoverable, lots of tunes and pics gone. Have a 2 month old backup which I have not yet checked.
My tech did send the drive to a data recovery service, may get some results.

Point is...got a new WIN 10 Laptop, ASUS Rog, plugged it in and booted up, put in my Outlook email and my former desktop photo appears and all my favorites load up[ on request]
I had never loaded anything on OneDrive so I was surprised to see these things brought forward, and I am wondering what else is in M/S's hands and if there is other data that may be recoverable.
Any one have any insight on that.

Beyond that, 50 % of my tunes were ripped and 50% paid HD downloads.
Am I able to reload my paid purchases from HD Tracks, ProStudioMasters, ITunes, 7Digital.
It will be a chore to fiqure out as I have 3 emails and don't have my vendor passwords saved outside of the pc.
I can put it all together but it will take awhile.

What's the best option for system back up, OneDrive seems like a good choice as long as ISIS doesn't destroy the web, maybe web and physical backup is the best idea.

Anyway, I was surprised on what MS brought forward, I have built and formatted dozens of pcs over the years and never encountered this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:33 am
Posts: 59
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
I believe with both ProStudioMasters and HDtracks, you can download past purchases through the downloader once you've logged on.

On ProStudioMasters, go to the website, log in, click My Account, under Recent Purchases click View Complete Purchase History then at the top there is a blue button that says Download Purchased Music.

Can't help you on MS having access to your info. When I fresh installed Windows 10, I deselected every setting allowing MS to have information regarding my location, computing habits, crash history etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 2667
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
You registered a user account with MS and doing so, some preferences such as your desktop and bookmarks (favorites) are saved in the cloud. If you do not want this, then create a local account on the machine and remove the MS user account.

SimcoeSound wrote:

Can't help you on MS having access to your info. When I fresh installed Windows 10, I deselected every setting allowing MS to have information regarding my location, computing habits, crash history etc.


You can uncheck all these settings and still have a user account that backup some user data.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 am
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I would definately recommend you get a NAS device to keep your important files on.
I’ve got all my music files as well as years of digital photos and documents on there and then further have some of those items mirrored on my Dropbox account.
I recommend Synology NAS units, they are far and away the best in my opinion, and have good user interfaces with regular software updates and improvements.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
snemi00 wrote:
I would definately recommend you get a NAS device to keep your important files on.
I’ve got all my music files as well as years of digital photos and documents on there and then further have some of those items mirrored on my Dropbox account.
I recommend Synology NAS units, they are far and away the best in my opinion, and have good user interfaces with regular software updates and improvements.




Totally agree...have a D-link NAS Raid with 4 bays (1TB in each)
I also have a physical backup of music,pictures etc on Bluray discs and have those tucked away

I have heard prople say that disc backups have a shelf life of under 10 years but if you have them stored in a dedicated book type holder you are good. I have discs dating back to 1995 and are fully accessible.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
SimcoeSound wrote:
I believe with both ProStudioMasters and HDtracks, you can download past purchases through the downloader once you've logged on.

On ProStudioMasters, go to the website, log in, click My Account, under Recent Purchases click View Complete Purchase History then at the top there is a blue button that says Download Purchased Music.

Can't help you on MS having access to your info. When I fresh installed Windows 10, I deselected every setting allowing MS to have information regarding my location, computing habits, crash history etc.


Thanx, I found my p/w and set up and tried to download purchases, but goes in a loop, says download the d/l manager which I already did and won't let me go past that, not much in online help.
I bought a new d/load and it worked, so not sure waddup with the older stuff, I'll try and contact them I quess.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 759
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
I just found this:

Purchased music can only be downloaded once.

You can access ProStudioMasters from multiple computers, but once a track has been downloaded to one computer, it will no longer be available for downloading to another. You can then transfer downloaded music to your other devices for playback – but remember, this must be for your own personal use only.

On a related note, we strongly recommend creating a backup of music you've downloaded. This will help protect you in the event of a hard drive failure on your local machine, or from accidental deletion by you or others with whom you share your computer.

In rare cases, we may be able to re-enable downloads for previously purchased music. If you can make a plausible case, please contact customer support.


Plea your case, they are nice people.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
Adriankn wrote:
I just found this:

Purchased music can only be downloaded once.

You can access ProStudioMasters from multiple computers, but once a track has been downloaded to one computer, it will no longer be available for downloading to another. You can then transfer downloaded music to your other devices for playback – but remember, this must be for your own personal use only.

On a related note, we strongly recommend creating a backup of music you've downloaded. This will help protect you in the event of a hard drive failure on your local machine, or from accidental deletion by you or others with whom you share your computer.

In rare cases, we may be able to re-enable downloads for previously purchased music. If you can make a plausible case, please contact customer support.


Plea your case, they are nice people.



Will do, beg that is, thanks for the info, but that is disappointing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
There were a couple of times where something screwed up during the download process and the my downloads were not recoverable. I contacted the ProStudioMaster support and they have let me re-downloaded the tracks again. So contact them and explain your situation.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
QuadESL63 wrote:
There were a couple of times where something screwed up during the download process and the my downloads were not recoverable. I contacted the ProStudioMaster support and they have let me re-downloaded the tracks again. So contact them and explain your situation.


Thanx, done and waiting for a reply


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 1
Location: Milton, ON, CA
allgonoshow wrote:
Holy crap, my fairly new and excellent Gigabtye I-7 laptop has suffered death by Merlot, not my spill, honest, but someone else's.
Board and drive done and data not recoverable, lots of tunes and pics gone...

I've been there .. I feel your pain. This is what I use now - spill resistant!
https://youtu.be/0U5n2WaMMHo?t=14s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
QuadESL63 wrote:
There were a couple of times where something screwed up during the download process and the my downloads were not recoverable. I contacted the ProStudioMaster support and they have let me re-downloaded the tracks again. So contact them and explain your situation.


I emailed them last night and am now downloading all my purchases, great service......

edit, no luck on HDTracks, no d/l after 90 days

7digital, no problem
iTunes , no problem


Last edited by allgonoshow on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 2871
Location: Airdrie, AB, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
You registered a user account with MS and doing so, some preferences such as your desktop and bookmarks (favorites) are saved in the cloud. If you do not want this, then create a local account on the machine and remove the MS user account.

SimcoeSound wrote:

Can't help you on MS having access to your info. When I fresh installed Windows 10, I deselected every setting allowing MS to have information regarding my location, computing habits, crash history etc.


You can uncheck all these settings and still have a user account that backup some user data.


Yep. The OOBE really is designed to angle users to create the M$ account if they don't have one - although the OP already had one via his Outlook account. Creating a local account is in the smaller print during setup. There is a convenience factor to using the M$ account; it depends what you want to do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:09 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Whitby, ON, CA
Prostudios support is great.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm
Posts: 1069
Location: Somewhere Way Out West
While I haven't purchased anything from Hdtracks for some time, best I recall their policy was the same:


Adriankn wrote:
I just found this:

Purchased music can only be downloaded once.

You can access ProStudioMasters from multiple computers, but once a track has been downloaded to one computer, it will no longer be available for downloading to another. You can then transfer downloaded music to your other devices for playback – but remember, this must be for your own personal use only.

On a related note, we strongly recommend creating a backup of music you've downloaded. This will help protect you in the event of a hard drive failure on your local machine, or from accidental deletion by you or others with whom you share your computer.

In rare cases, we may be able to re-enable downloads for previously purchased music. If you can make a plausible case, please contact customer support.


Plea your case, they are nice people.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group