Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

Hi all, i'm new to Canuck Audio Mart; and rather new to the world of HI-FI and my interest has grown exponentially in the past 3 years since the purchase of my turntable and therein got to record hunting. Lately I haven't been quite satisfied with the sound of my table/setup; was looking to upgrade. NOW; here's the challenge; I'm looking for a pretty great sounding setup; all under 700$.
To put in perspective, here's my current setup;
Technics SL-Q2 table purchased circa-2015 at a pawnshop, recently replaced the cartridge on it this year for an Ortofon 2M Red.
Pyle PP444 Phono Pre-amp (cheap-o but was the first/only one I found immediately after purchasing table)
all of this hooked to a pair of Kanto Yumi (powered bookshelf's).

Now; I was looking at second hand stereo gear and told myself a superior setup could very well be done for under 700? Maybe I'm wrong.
#Powered Bookshelf setup preferably; as I don't have much space!
I was looking at Rega RP1; Planar 1-2 tables (used of course) or Project Debut Carbon's
Stick to my ortofon 2m red?
Phono Preamp the Schiit Mani looked pretty sweet
for speakers I'd have no clue; could maybe stick with mine I'm rather happy with them, but again; I feel like the sound is lacking.
Really just looking for a warmer; fuller sound. Any guidance would be very appreciated!
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 pm 

I'd say change the phono pre-amp first, the. See how you like the sound. The schitt has a good reputation, or you might look at something like the cambridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:47 pm 

I would also suggest changing up the phono preamp for something better. I had an SLQ2 with an ortofon 2M Red and started with an Art DJ before upgrading to a Pro-Ject tube box SEIi....the difference was quite substantial. I have not heard those powered kantos. In any event, start with a decent phono pre and see if that floats your boat for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm 

Moon amps ,Wilson speakers, Vpi decks , Skogrand cables . Oops sorry you said $700 not $700,000 Just kidding , I think , proceed with caution this dam audiophile stuff is addictive and will keep you forever poor and proud. Pioneer Bs22 = under $200 Mr. Andrew Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm 

Lots of stuff going on here. Are you just looking for a Turntable? RP1 and Debut Carbon crop up on the used market for ~$300 frequently. But, in my opinion and having owned the Red, if you change the table, and leave the phono and cart the same, I think the upgrade will only be marginal.

Both tables are great, and I've owned both of them as well. Maybe try getting a 2M Blue and a different phono stage? The Schiit is good, and has gain options for future upgrades if you wanted. I think biggest upgrade in quality would hugely come from the cartridge. I was never fond of the Red, but the Blue sounds muuuuch better.

The arm on the RP1 is very good. The Debut Carbon has a slightly better upgrade path IMO. Speedbox and Acrylic platter. The RP1 performance pack upgrade is really only a white belt, felt mat, and usually comes with the Red. There are aftermarket upgrades for it, if you're into that sort of thing. Some aren't.

Get a Blue and the Schiit or maybe try a Pro-Ject Phono box. Graham Slee phonos are very nice. The Communicator costs more than the others, but is a very good design. Might have some coin left over for records, or to put towards a different table.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 pm 

Many good ideas here. I would agree and change the cart. Never been a fan of the Red, the black sounds better to me. I agree with the Rega turntable. Many options down the road to upgrade. Speakers are very personal, but perhaps sticking with your budget, perhaps a pair of Paradigm book shelf speakers. Perhaps a set of Tann's? Enjoy and let the fun and memories grow!!!

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500/Grado RS2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

You should get a pair of dynaco A 25 for around 200. Best bang for the buck bookshelf speakers. I would agree with the others insofar as upgrading the phono pre. I would stick with your table for a while. I don't think a Rega would be much of a upgrade. Maybe upgrade the cartridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm 

I went down this road a couple of months ago, trying to get a TT, cartridge, & phono pre for under $600, and honestly it's been a big challenge. The money I've saved on budget gear has gone straight into hours and hours of googling, trouble-shooting, botched repairs, and plaintive forum posts :/

FWIW, my advice is to upgrade a step at a time, and either to buy local with an audition or buy new with a good return policy/warranty. If I had it to do over again, I tell myself I'd go to a dealer & get some help & be done with it. In real life, though, I'd probably loiter around here and wait for a sweet deal that gets me into more trouble ;)

Anyway, if you want to do it all at once, I'd advise looking at some of the dealers here... there are some sweet deals on. You can get all in on a P1 & Rega preamp for ~$500 before taxes & save yourself a bunch of hassle: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userads. ... r_id=53376, e.g.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:59 pm 

I’ve heard your speakers and think they sound pretty good. I bought my son a pair. On the other hand, I have a 2M Red and found it a bit of a disappointment. I think the weakest link is your phono pre and you would likely gain a lot by upgrading that first. Then maybe the cartridge depending on how you like the change with a new phono pre.
A quick scan of the ads and forums here will show that most of us are on the hunt to upgrade something in our system so tread carefully; you could end up like us!
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm 

I really like those speakers too, but they definitely need a sub to start, something inexpensive like a used Paradigm, Energy, or Polk. Not from a young man and $100 Or less.

Then this

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -for-mmmc/

Then this

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -upgrades/

Then maybe a A Shure M97xe or Nagaoka MP110 Or???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 pm 

analogluvr wrote:
You should get a pair of dynaco A 25 for around 200. Best bang for the buck bookshelf speakers. I would agree with the others insofar as upgrading the phono pre. I would stick with your table for a while. I don't think a Rega would be much of a upgrade. Maybe upgrade the cartridge.

If you can find a pair of Celestion Ditton 33's for $100 more, go for those instead of the Dynacos. Garbage in will always be garbage out. No offense but your first change has to be your turntable. The 2M Red is ok enough to keep for now at least although a Shure M97HE for $120 on Amazon is a better way to go. With tables under $700, if you can find a Thorens TD160, 145 with a decent tonearm like a Rega RB 300, Jelco 250 or 250ST properly installed, that would be your best best. Otherwise, Ariston RD 11 (same arms).

The tonearm is equally important as the turntable and is often the deal killer for these modest tables that sell new or $400-$450. The value used table if you can find is the original Revolver (not the Rebel but the first gen Revolver) with a Jelco 250ST can be had for $300-$350. This is the very best turntable one can find used for under $500.00. It is significantly better than a stock Profile table with arm for $450 new. Same with the Thorens. I don't like the word audiophile here because it suggests esoteric or un-attainable. How about overproduced and over priced is more like it with the ridiculously priced estoteric audio out there.

That is why most of us are on CAM; to find quality used audio equipment. It's also a great place to find new equipment if you prefer to go that way and not be concerned about warranty or is it working properly etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:10 pm 

when I ran a small set of powered speakers, the Paradigm shift, I found that adding a Parasound Classic 2100, ($400), to the set up made a real impact statement. I suggest starting there by finding one with a phono input instead of just a phono pre. Should allow enough to change out the table as well. This was my $1100 set up; table, pre amp and Shifts. Really enjoyed that combo.
Attachment:
IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg [ 175.99 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 am 

WOW THANK You all so much for the quick rwpliwa. Now; i feel kind of ignoranr having purchased the ortofon 2m red. Guy at the shop (layton audio in montreal) suggested this cart for my table. So for now I was planning on keeping it.
So i’m still looking for a good used turntable but will take it one step at a time and start off with a phono preamp.

I found a used nakamichi ca-5 for 300$ in my local classified, either this or a schiit mani? Or any other preamp suggestions , i’m open!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 am 

kcross wrote:
I really like those speakers too, but they definitely need a sub to start, something inexpensive like a used Paradigm, Energy, or Polk. Not from a young man and $100 Or less.

Then this

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -for-mmmc/

Then this

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -upgrades/

Then maybe a A Shure M97xe or Nagaoka MP110 Or???

+1. The terms 'warm and full' are seldom used to describe Ortofon, especially the 2MRed. Another option would be a Grado Green or for half the money an Audio Technica CN5625AL.

Instead of changing out the deck I'd look into making the best of what it is. Replace the stock mat with something like the Platter Matter and add a clamp, ensure the deck sits on a resonance-free foundation, and remove the dustcover while in use.

Last edited by ripblade on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 am 

tomasteel wrote:
I found a used nakamichi ca-5 for 300$ in my local classified, either this or a schiit mani? Or any other preamp suggestions , i’m open!

The Nak ca-5 is a very good pre with a killer phono stage. Good score!

The Technics SL-Q2 is a decent, entry-level table. To substantially improve upon it, you will have to spend at least $500 (like this Rega RPM3 for $500: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649407119-project-rpm-3-carbon/). <- no affiliation.

Instead, to maximize performance, you might want to tweak what you've got. And use a high quality synthetic oil on the spindle.