Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 pm 

Hello! I am about to start setting up a room for a home theater. The LCR and surround wiring is easy - just home run everything to the equipment rack.
Where I am getting more confused is with subwoofers, namely because the size of the room (17 x 21 feet ) I get a better response with multiple subs (2-4).

But from what I am reading they aren't just home runned — at least I don't think they are! I am not sure how to do the wiring for the subs - should it be like the blue (Home run everything) or like the green (in a daisy chain), second, what cable should I use for these runs — 12G audio cable, RCA cable, or RG6?
Thanks!

Attachments:
SubSetup.png [16.49 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:04 am 

What AVR or amplifier and subs are you playing on?

I like to use multiple subs, as many as 4 or 6. If your subs have high inputs, witch they probably do, run two new signal lines from your amplifier's (or AVR) main two front speaker channels.

You'll need two left speaker outputs to feed the subs left inputs. Leave the right channels on the first two subs open, they don't require a right channel signal feed. Repeat this with your right two channels, only leave the left inputs open this time. There are other options, I achieve best that way usually, and with speakon connections. This will cover all dialog and also highlight some source material imaging, if it was recorded in stereo.

A couple sub placements to try, stagger the subs 2x2 along the front and back walls. And out and away from corners. With a room of that shape placing them centered in a + pattern is another effective option to test, I find it works good to eliminate nodes and balance room bass.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 am 

I'd consider getting a miniDSP, it's perfect for what you're trying to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am 

Active or passive ? Anyway plan to run mono not stereo. Eq will be appropriate.

If you are running multiple active (powered) subs make sure that the electricals are common with all the system electronics - otherwise you may get ground issues that result in hum. A single dedicated 20 amp can run quite a lot of gear. Do not have any lighting on this circuit.

Best value will probably be found in passive built in such as from PSB, Sonance, Speakercraft etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am 

miniDSP is excellent but not optimum for every setup. Its not if his subs have fully active amplifiers (with built in signal processing and eq). Unless they can be manually defeated. And make sure your firmware is up kept up to date.

MONO is fine for home theatre.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:47 am 

Thanks for your replies everyone - I haven't selected a receiver at all - still in planning stages. My theater will be a 7.4.X (X being the 2-4 woofers) setup.

I will likely wire in power for each corner of the room in case I want active subs. As an example, I am considering SVS SB-2000 subwoofer, at least 2 up to 4 depending on how it sounds.

It would be far easier for me to home run things (if there are Receivers/AMPs for that) and is my preference. Would running RCA cables x 4 to my Rack be 'future proofing' enough?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am 

Very easy to do, and you are absolutely correct. Just run your 2 or 4 rca cables back to your avr's future location. Most new avr's have 2 subwoofer preouts, plug one sub into each preout, or simply use 2 y splitters to hook up 4 subs.