Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Kids and Vinyl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm 

Those of you who know me already know how proud I am of my kids....they are embracing this passion for music we all have on CAM. We have about 800 LPs in the house; with two kids away in University and one just graduated, all are space and money limited. Vinyl is just not possible due to space. My son is a headphone kinda guy, both girls are near-field listeners.

Today my middle kid (22 yrs) came home for a day or two...and brought the old man some gifts. I am the proud owner of two new purchases from Dr Disc; BonHiver and Iron and Wine LPs. She is now haunting (her words) the record stores in Windsor. Of the 800 or so albums in the house, the kids have already staked our their choices... Somehow I feel my job is done! :lol:

I already have a small tube amp and a set of my Missions set up for her....and I have a Denon TT set aside for her when she gets more space. In the meanwhile I am not sure what has pleased me more; the gift of music or the fact my kid has found yet one more way to relate to her dinosaur of a dad.

Don't give up on the future of vinyl; there are a surprising number of twenty-somethings that have embraced the allure...

Life is good.

Post subject: Re: Kids and Vinyl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 pm 

my daughter's set up, thanks to a giving father.
there is another Sttaf off to the right
Attachment:
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg [ 168.11 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

My son however is thrilled with his new google play thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm 

mpublicover wrote:

Nice rig for your daughter ! Mine seems content with a Sony mp3 player, although she did get some B&W headphones for Xmas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm 

totems? Can you adopt me? Anything we can do to encourage our kids to embrace quality music is a plus. We done, dads!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 pm 

This year my girlfriend's son asked for a turntable. He's 9 (will be 10 next month). So I got him an Audio Technica LP60 and a small amp and set of speakers. I tried the tiny Class D amp on my Monitor Audio Silver speakers, and was stunned at the 30w mini amp and how it sounded with my Rega CDP and Kimber speaker cables connected with Kimber Hero RCAs. Very nice.

Hooked it up to the LP60 and it sounds just as magical. Great for a youngster, and less than half the cost of a Nintendo Switch and a game or two. So, I figure I'm in money... For now. He spent some of his Christmas money from family on records. He picked out Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Bruno Mars. Along with Pearl Jam's 10, & Hozier for Christmas among others... I told him its (the vinyl medium) something he can enjoy for ever and if he gets into it can upgrade when he's older. I want to get him something automatic with a built in phono due to limitations of amp size and cost.

Doesn't sound as nice as my RP-3 with 2M Bronze through a Graham Slee Era Gold or my Michell Tecnodec with OC9II/ML with SUT... But, it does the trick, and comparatively cost so much less than these setups that it makes me wonder sometimes.

I taught him how to use my Rega and how important it is not to touch the stylus, and always use the cue lever when he was probably 6. So it's not something new to him. I've got about 1500LPs, and we are probably going to keep our collections separate. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:42 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Those of you who know me already know how proud I am of my kids....they are embracing this passion for music we all have on CAM. We have about 800 LPs in the house; with two kids away in University and one just graduated, all are space and money limited. Vinyl is just not possible due to space. My son is a headphone kinda guy, both girls are near-field listeners.

Today my middle kid (22 yrs) came home for a day or two...and brought the old man some gifts. I am the proud owner of two new purchases from Dr Disc; BonHiver and Iron and Wine LPs. She is now haunting (her words) the record stores in Windsor. Of the 800 or so albums in the house, the kids have already staked our their choices... Somehow I feel my job is done! :lol:

I already have a small tube amp and a set of my Missions set up for her....and I have a Denon TT set aside for her when she gets more space. In the meanwhile I am not sure what has pleased me more; the gift of music or the fact my kid has found yet one more way to relate to her dinosaur of a dad.

Don't give up on the future of vinyl; there are a surprising number of twenty-somethings that have embraced the allure...

Life is good.

Which Bon Iver album?

Funny coincidence, I was talking to my dad about setting up my first 'stereo' and all the adventures buying used gear we've had over the years just last night.

From the other side (I'm probably relative age to the 'kid' generation here) the enjoyment of music and the appreciation of the physical medium along with quality reproduction is something I'm glad I 'got' or was passed down...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_0027.jpg

Love the SRV and Albert King "In Session" album.
Had it on video tape as well until a friend's father taped "Cocaine in America" over it.
(Geraldo Revierra?sp?)

lol