Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm 

I should change the cables of my SL-1200, one of the RCA plugs is loose. (If i move it, I loose a bit of volume on one side, as long as it doesn’t move, it’s alright)

I dont’t feel like changing for a 15$ pair of generic cables. Might as well keep it as is...
KAB have a couple nice options at around 65usd (cardas)
Blue Jeans have their own cables at 35usd
Take Five audio also have a couple options...

Shipping from the states plus duties, plus exchange rate, will come around 100-120 for the KAB and probably around 80 for the BJC. Ordering from Take Five would probably come to the same price.

Should I:
1. Order new cables from one of these or any other recommended cable guys.
2. Spend that same money on a pair of used RCA interconnects of a CAM member and cut one end.
3. Any other ideas...

Will the new cables different capacitance change anyhing to my current set-up ?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:33 am 

Here are some decent quality phono cables for a reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Technics-SL-1200-1210-Audio-Phono-Cable-Lead-ProteX-Black-Neutrik-Van-Damme-1-2m-/262909865221?hash=item3d36a62d05
This seller has more stuff for SL-1200 and other tables.
I've rewired several turntables with these cables and am pleased.

Shipping from the UK was painless and inexpensive.

Good Luck and Happy Listening
John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 am 

You might want to watch this video before you start. Its in two-parts.

Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZxJsuW-dY

Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzHSSfdwh4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 am 

The largest impact I have heard from a cable change for my TT came from a custom made Take Five Audio cable based on the Neotech NEI 3001 that utilizes UP-OCC copper.

Good discussion on OCC copper cables for turntables here. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=48150

I wouldn’t recommend Neotech NEI 3001 for the SL 1200 for it is quite stiff and will be difficult to apply. But TFA does have other Neotech brands that are not only cheaper but should be more manageable. I’d drop Gene a line and inquire. Also inquire about his method of shunting the cables shield to the ground lug of the phono pre. I am sure Gene would be able to build you a set with your choice of RCA’s on 1 end leaving the other end unterminated.

Alternatively, this Toronto store specializes in 1200 repairs and parts. They have a few cables to choose from which include non-terminated at one end plus ones terminated to the small PCB should you be comfortable soldering the small internal tonearm wiring.

http://www.technics1200s.com/

Difficult to say how the different cable capacitance will affect your analog front end.

mike k. wrote:
You might want to watch this video before you start. Its in two-parts.

Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZxJsuW-dY

Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzHSSfdwh4

Helpful videos but the internal tonearm wiring can be replaced without the need to purchase a new tonearm

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... 00-Tonearm

Last edited by sthomas1049 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 am 

every high end turntable I've rewired has been done with Mogami W2965. Also fantastic for RCA patch cables too

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 am 

Send your tonearm to Gene at Take Five. I'd opt for a complete re-wire (remove the existing tonearm wire between the clips and pcb, the small pcb, and the existing rca cable). You'll get a high quality continuous run of phono cable with high quality connectors for a very reasonable cost.

The simplest option could be to trim the loose RCA connector off and replace with a new one. Peel back the insulation to expose the conductors, solder, heatshrink, and Mary's your auntie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 am 

kwadzilla wrote:
Send your tonearm to Gene at Take Five. I'd opt for a complete re-wire (remove the existing tonearm wire between the clips and pcb, the small pcb, and the existing rca cable). You'll get a high quality continuous run of phono cable with high quality connectors for a very reasonable cost.

The simplest option could be to trim the loose RCA connector off and replace with a new one. Peel back the insulation to expose the conductors, solder, heatshrink, and Mary's your auntie.

That’s actually sound advice despite Mary is not my aunt. Have you sent a 1200 arm to Gene for rewire? I know he advertises Rega re-wires.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:42 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Have you sent a 1200 arm to Gene for rewire? I know he advertises Rega re-wires.

It's bucket-list material.

I did speak with him at the start of my 1200 mod planning. We was assured, the turn-around was under a week, and for the life of me I can't remember the cost, but it was certainly VERY reasonable (and it was cheaper to do the continuous run). At the time he had a few options of wire to use, I'm sure whatever he has would be better than what's in there now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 am 

kwadzilla wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Have you sent a 1200 arm to Gene for rewire? I know he advertises Rega re-wires.

It's bucket-list material.

I did speak with him at the start of my 1200 mod planning. We was assured, the turn-around was under a week, and for the life of me I can't remember the cost, but it was certainly VERY reasonable (and it was cheaper to do the continuous run). At the time he had a few options of wire to use, I'm sure whatever he has would be better than what's in there now.

I’ve dealt with Gene on a few occasions – his prices are very reasonable. But I do think that is excellent advice even if one doesn’t feel there is value in a continuous run from headshell to RCA. Replacing the wiring in a 1200 arm is not that difficult, I’ve performed a few in my time, but if one is uncomfortable with the process best leave it to the professionals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am 

kwadzilla wrote:

I know a very good sl-1200 tech, here in montreal. It’s probably easier just to drop him the table and pick it back a day or two later. I was also considering a complete re-wire, but it’s a bit out of my budget at the moment. Might as well wait and have everything done at the same time.

But then, 300-400$ for a complete re-wire VS 300-400$ on a new cartridge ?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 am 

Oy, I didn't realize you were in Montreal, sorry. Still though, consider contacting Gene only for the reason that a re-wire (plus shipping to and from) might still be less than $300. My inquiry from a year or so back was in the ballpark of $175-200.

The quote you got from the local tech seems a bit high, are you thinking of taking the whole deck to the shop or just the arm?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am 

Another option, contact Steve Huang at Audio Sensibility. Ask him about a custom order of his simplest
Phono cable (I think it's the Impact) with only one end terminated. If you can solder the free end yourself then you're in business.

(Sorry, I've just re-read your original post in its entirety)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm 
Premium User

Seeing you're in Montreal perhaps a quick chat with Graeme at Coupe De Foudre or Mario at Audio d'occasion might be in order.