Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm 

Wow, surprised to see this when I clicked on their website. I first shopped their back in the early nineties when they were Village Audio in Westdale in Hamilton. Bought a bunch of stuff there over the years (still have my old 8000A), they had a great main room, one I was always envious over. Big, spacious, high ceiling and great sounding. Lots of rooms with great gear. I haven't been in the market for anything for quite a while so I don't know how things have been going there. Probably six or seven years since I got my C2's from them.

A little surprised but not really. I think this hobby is in decline, headed more toward head fi and home theater (and online). Perhaps I'm wrong, I certainly hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 pm 

wow.

did not see that coming. very sad to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm 

with all the computer age Technology in music these botiques stores are going to be a thing of the past in in the years to come with more to follow a big blow to the area for sure with the clossing of locke street audio just last year

Last edited by rednecknber on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm 

Saw the title and got an instant knot in my gut.

Not a TV to be seen anywhere last time I was in there. Had to be the purest pure hifi shop anywhere. The little/huge vinyl store is epic.

Just guessing but they/we are all getting a little long in the tooth. That real estate could be a prime time to cash out right now. The vinyl business can likely thrive on in the ether without the beautiful old building. Driving down into that old dead end street is like a walk back in time, but probably condos will ensue.

I first saw and heard my current TT (or at least its cousin) in Village Audio. I had the wide eyes in that place...

I'm sure anyone who knows and loves the place wishes them well.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm 

"Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
Welcome to the final show
Hope you're wearing your best clothes"

-Harry Styles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm 

I was there about two weeks ago and did not see any signs of this happening. I generally go there to buy vinyl records. Is there record section - diamond groove closing as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 pm 

^Their website announcement (AA) says DG will stay open on line and allow appt pickups at a warehouse.

I was planning to go in tomorrow, as I have my doctor appt on Hatt street. That got delayed because of flu in December, or I would have been there to pick up some good xmas vinyl which they always seem to get in....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 am 

That really sucks. My favourite store by far. Is there a date of closure posted? Would like to get there one more time before they close the doors. A friend if mine is about to purchase a pair of Dynaudio X38's from them. Wonder if that's a good idea now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:33 am 

Oh no what sad news I am gutted. I found the place about four years ago when I moved into the area. The staff there has been so helpful and a fantastic resource. They have happily lent me amplifiers to try and not once have I felt pressured to 'just buy something' or smelt the slightest whiff of hi fi snobbery. Just a bunch of great guys who love audio and want to share it. I will miss them dearly !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 am 

I can't really say I'm surprised. I went there twice on long weekend Saturdays in the past year, and both times they had closed the doors for the whole weekend. It seems to me that any retail business that does that is not really interested in the long term health of their bottom line. That being said, if they were in business for almost 30 years then I suppose it's time for the owner to just sell out and make money on the real estate.
B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I thought I would step in here and answer a few things.
First of all, the reason for the closure is simple. Retirement. The owner, Chad wants to spend more time with his wife, and elderly parents. It's a tough business and it takes up a lot of time.
Quote:
I went there twice on long weekend Saturdays in the past year, and both times they had closed the doors for the whole weekend

That had been a store policy for more than 10 years. It's called giving your employees a break.
Quote:
with all the computer age Technology in music these botiques stores are going to be a thing of the past in in the years to come with more to follow a big blow to the area for sure with the clossing of locke street audio just last year

Locke St. had nothing to do with finacials either. That was a health issue.
This is a niche business, while there are less of them, stores will always be around. Technology can't audtion speakers for you.
There's always House of HiFi now.
Quote:
I think this hobby is in decline, headed more toward head fi and home theater (and online).

It's only in decline, because we're not passing on to the younger generation the value of good music. But I agree, headphone listening is becoming a big part. As for HT, it was dead along time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 am 

Wow! I used to pop in at least every other week to chat, browse or buy. I moved away about 2 years ago and rarely get a chance to visit.

Loved the store. Loved the service. Never felt pressure to buy. Always felt welcome to just browse.

Very sad. Definitely my favorite Audio place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Saw the title and got an instant knot in my gut.

Not a TV to be seen anywhere last time I was in there. Had to be the purest pure hifi shop anywhere. The little/huge vinyl store is epic.

Just guessing but they/we are all getting a little long in the tooth. That real estate could be a prime time to cash out right now. The vinyl business can likely thrive on in the ether without the beautiful old building. Driving down into that old dead end street is like a walk back in time, but probably condos will ensue.

I first saw and heard my current TT (or at least its cousin) in Village Audio. I had the wide eyes in that place...

I'm sure anyone who knows and loves the place wishes them well.....

Indeed I do. Fine gentleman at AA.

There shall soon be a new retail model for all of hi-fi audio ...

pj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am 

This is basically the end of better mid-fi and high end audio in Hamilton. Globe Audio (twice), Audio By Design and Locke Street Audio (same owner), Thompson's Select Audio, and now Alternative Audio. I knew them all well and worked for three of them part-time.

All were run by good guys but as our generation either died off or our buying habits changed, the customer base shrunk greatly. Couple that with the HT wave favoured by the 20-50 crowd and you have a double wammy.

I'd like to know who is buying the $35K tutntables, the $100K amps and $200K speakers reviewed by TAS. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 am 

rgk5 wrote:
This is basically the end of better mid-fi and high end audio in Hamilton. Globe Audio (twice), Audio By Design and Locke Street Audio (same owner), Thompson's Select Audio, and now Alternative Audio. I knew them all well and worked for three of them part-time.

All were run by good guys but as our generation either died off or our buying habits changed, the customer base shrunk greatly. Couple that with the HT wave favoured by the 20-50 crowd and you have a double wammy.

I'd like to know who is buying the $35K tutntables, the $100K amps and $200K speakers reviewed by TAS. :roll:

rgk5: It's really about PRICE -that's it. For sure, your point of a $35K Table etc. is valid (i.e. who is buying ?) and the answer is no one at $35K -but, believe it or not, far more at $17K/$15K -or even less). Same applies to amps and loudspeakers.

And that's where the Internet becomes highly invaluable -those seeking considerable discounts. Regardless of what one seeks, it's sure to pop up on the Net/audio sites -at big dollar savings. And let me ask: " Who wants (or even can really afford?) to pay more ? "

I believe the interest (in hi-fi) remains. Have you seen/read through the plethora of hi-fi forums, or noted the range of hi-fi on-line mag's ? It's thriving. As is the thirst (need? or simple desire) to save money in a shrinking/disappearing middle-class economy.

pj