Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 am 

I am wondering about the potential sonic improvements that could be had from hard wiring certain components together thereby eliminating or reducing negative effects of binding posts and connectors. For example, remove binding posts and hard wire cables to crossover of speakers and do the same at the amp end. Same thing for the amp/pre and possibly the analogue input. Could also directly connect power cords at the component end, but for electrical code reasons, no the wall of course.

I understand the potential "convenience" and practical implications (i.e. having components tethered together), but if one is content with the cables one is using, other than a couple hours work, all would be completely reversible. I know this is a bit "out there" but I am wondering if anyone has done something similar and to what effect. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 am 

I've done all that you are suggesting.....on Rogers LS3,5a's and 2 Dvna Stereo 70 power amps.

Quite honestly, to my ears, it made no discernible difference.

YMMV, as usual.

Cheers, dl Sol

-- 10 Jan 2018 14:45 --

I've done all that you are suggesting.....on Rogers LS3/5a's and 2 Dvna Stereo 70 power amps.

Quite honestly, to my ears, it made no discernible difference.

YMMV, as usual.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 am 

If you decide to this type of attachment to your x overs and solder your connections . You may want to use a good solder. I suggest using Cardas Silver solder. Its considered superior to regular solder with better connectivity . You may as well try to get the best contact means or your just wasting your time going this route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 am 

If you're using the solder to complete the connection....... you're doing it wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
If you're using the solder to complete the connection....... you're doing it wrong!

Care to elaborate and contribute to the discussion or simply throw stones :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 am 

While not quite "hard wired", this was a successful step in that direction. I bypassed the terminals and a couple feet of internal wires in an old set of speakers and, to my ears, this made a noticeable improvement.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46203

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
I believe he means connection is made wire to wire . Solder is just there to keep
them together .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm 

One of my turntables, an older Dual, has several contact points from cartridge tags to RCA terminations. Tags to wires to a contact pad in the headshell to the fine wires in the tonearm to a junction box in the table that has connectors to link the RCAs to the tonearm wire... I changed the RCAs out and rewired them directly to the tonearm cable inside, bypassing the junction box. This made a huge improvement. I used solder. I want to bypass the headshell and pressure pads to go directly to the cartridge. But, I haven't gone that far yet. This is likely due to newer, and better quality wires.

I would imagine having wires from your amp to your speakers crossover should give minor improvements if done correctly. Realize that the back plate of most speakers probably properly seals the enclosure. To go bare wire, you'd probably have to drill holes, or remove the back plate, etc. I'd imagine tonearm wires would make more improvement, what with the smaller voltages and that taking place before the amplification. To that same end, RCAs would be good to direct wire. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to use solder for the speaker internals. You could likely use some sort of cinch connector or snap connector.

I'd be interested to see this, as I've read majority of common hifi speakers use rather average, run of the mill wires internally. If you spend, say, 1/4 of the speaker cost on speaker cables, it'd make sense the wires match internally. My Focal 706v are connected using Kimber 4PR... I'd like to use 4PR internally, as these have cheap looking wire internally!

Hope this helps and isnt' much of a rant!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 pm 

Quote:
Care to elaborate and contribute to the discussion or simply throw stones :roll:

Basic soldering techniques. One makes sure that there is a solid mechanical connection, then that is held in place with the solder. The mechanical connection, in the case of a current carrying circuit, is the conduit. The solder just makes sure that it (connection) doesn't move or break. Silver or not, the solder has no other purpose! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote:
I believe he means connection is made wire to wire . Solder is just there to keep
them together .

I couldn't say it better myself! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Basic soldering techniques. One makes sure that there is a solid mechanical connection, then that is held in place with the solder. The mechanical connection, in the case of a current carrying circuit, is the conduit. The solder just makes sure that it (connection) doesn't move or break. Silver or not, the solder has no other purpose!

That's very old school thinking, and frankly not really all that relevant with modern gear. In PCB construction, there is very rarely a solid mechanical connection, only a wire shoved through a hole, and the solder makes the connection from the wire to the pad.

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:47 pm 

Yes you want to make sure there is good metal to metal contact before
solder is added. In other words, do not bridge a connection with solder.

dcrooks wrote:
In PCB construction, there is very rarely a solid mechanical connection, only a wire shoved through a hole, and the solder makes the connection from the wire to the pad.

Many tube builders prefer P to P wiring over PC boards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm 

Uunderhill wrote:
Many tube builders prefer P to P wiring over PC boards.

Yes, that's true...
But is it because point to point costs nothing (beyond the extra labor)? While designing and manufacturing a PCB is more expensive and requires additional skills?

I've used point to point a lot with solid state designs as well. For experiments or one-offs, the effort to build a PCB is often had to justify, even though I have everything required to build them in my basement.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 am 

If you mount a piece on a PCB do you not give the leads a quick bend to hold the component in place until you apply the solder? Ergo.... a mechanical connection. If you use the solder to create the bond, you are creating 2 connections to replace 1,.... which is opposite to the purpose of this exercise, and adds another uncontrolled factor to the circuit, (minuscule though it may be). Do and believe what you want, ......... I'll do it my way, and stop trying to help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am 

I once hardwired a Rega Planar 3 to a Rotel RQ 970 BX phono which I had a tech mount an ALPs volume pot on the front to direct drive the amp. It was in turn hardwired to an Audire Model 2 amp. The speaker cables were hardwired at the speaker end to a pair of Spica TC50i's. That was a very nice revealing system and removing 3 sets of interconnects and 1 set of speaker connects made a very noticeable difference.

Last edited by shawnwes on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am 

shawnwes wrote:
I once hardwired a Rega Planar 3 to a Rotel BQ 970 BX phono which I had a tech mount an ALPs volume pot on the front to direct drive the amp. It was in turn hardwired to an Audire Model 2 amp. The speaker cables were hardwired at the speaker end to a pair of Spica TC50i's. That was a very nice revealing system and removing 3 sets of interconnects and 1 set of speaker connects made a very noticeable difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And therein lies the insanity of this hobby - the first poster indicated he heard no improvement in SQ from hard wire while you are indicating a positive impact. Darn it, its never an easy answer.