Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:32 am 

After reading (and participating) in a recent thread titled "Bluetooth Audio Adapters", I think I've decided to go with the Google Chromecast Audio device.

I'm setting up a system for my son and just bought a used NAD C316BEE integrated amp from a CAM member, which will be used with his Technics SL1700 TT and my old pair of B&W DM1400 speakers. He was 100% vinyl, but when I suggested he try streaming as an alternative for convenience and music discovery, he was very interested. He would be using his iPhone 6 and/or his MacBook Pro with Spotify or my recently discovered Deezer app.

My post is to ask, what is the best (audio quality wise) way to connect the Chromecast Audio to the C316BEE. The back panel has only analog inputs (RCA), however on the front panel is a 3.5mm stereo input labeled "MP" for Media Player. Would it be better to buy a 3.5mm to 2 RCA male to male stereo cable for plugging into one of the back panel analog inputs, or use the supplied Stereo 3.5mm analog audio cable and plug into the "Media Player" input on the front panel?

Also, would it be possible to upgrade the Chromecast's abilities by inserting an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC into the chain? (My other son has one that he doesn't use). If so, can it be connected to the iPhone using a "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" or similar aftermarket cable? And then plug the Chromecast into the Dragonfly using the supplied male to male Stereo 3.5mm cable?

Looking forward to your replies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 am 

Not sure there would be a big difference between the Media port on the front vs the RCA on the back of the C316 outside convenience. But if this will be a permanent setup, the RCA may be a preferred connection.

I can’t see a way of utilizing the Dragonfly with the Chromecast without putting a computer into the mix. And even then it would be convoluted and probably not worth the hassle. The 3.5mm connection on the Dragonfly is output only – can not accept an input signal. Same with the Chromecast

The Chromecast does offer a mini TOSLINK out if you have a DAC that has TOSLINK connection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Not sure there would be a big difference between the Media port on the front vs the RCA on the back of the C316 outside convenience. But if this will be a permanent setup, the RCA may be a preferred connection.

I can’t see a way of utilizing the Dragonfly with the Chromecast without putting a computer into the mix. And even then it would be convoluted and probably not worth the hassle. The 3.5mm connection on the Dragonfly is output only – can not accept an input signal. Same with the Chromecast

The Chromecast does offer a mini TOSLINK out if you have a DAC that has TOSLINK connection.

Thanks for the quick reply sthomas!

It will be more of a permanent setup, so I'll go with the 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable. Any recommendations for such a cable?

And thanks for info re: Dragonfly. My MOJO has a Toslink input, but he's not getting that!! :lol: He can save up for a DAC someday.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:57 am 

Audioquest sells a couple of relatively inexpensive 3.5mm to RCA cables if interested. Take Five Audio also has a couple in their lineup but at more than double the cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Audioquest sells a couple of relatively inexpensive 3.5mm to RCA cables if interested. Take Five Audio also has a couple in their lineup but at more than double the cost.

I've used both Audioquest & Take Five Audio cables, and like both. In this case, I would prefer the least expensive of the two.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Admin

bbsupersport wrote:
And thanks for info re: Dragonfly. My MOJO has a Toslink input

Just curious, have you tried connecting your Chord Mojo DAC to the Chromecast Audio, and do you think it sounds much better than the Chromecast Audio's own built in DAC?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am 

bbsupersport wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply sthomas!

It will be more of a permanent setup, so I'll go with the 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable. Any recommendations for such a cable?

And thanks for info re: Dragonfly. My MOJO has a Toslink input, but he's not getting that!! :lol: He can save up for a DAC someday.

Cheers!

I would strongly recommend putting a DAC between Chromecast and NAD. Use Chromecast's optical output to DAC and then RCA to NAD. If there's no budget for Mojo, there's iFi, or Micromega MyDAC. Other options too. Huge improvement in sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm 

Actually, the Chromecast's internal DAC is pretty decent for a $40 unit. You might be surprised. I have a Chromecast in my bedroom system and was initially using the DAC of the Chromecast (3.5mm to dual RCA) into a small Pro-Ject digital AMP, while I waited for delivery of the accompanying Pro-Ject DAC. After this latter DAC arrived and was installed, I can't say that there was much if anything to be gained....YMMV, but if he'll be streaming SPOTIFY files via wifi, I would say this setup might be adequate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm 

ckennedy wrote:
Actually, the Chromecast's internal DAC is pretty decent for a $40 unit. You might be surprised. I have a Chromecast in my bedroom system and was initially using the DAC of the Chromecast (3.5mm to dual RCA) into a small Pro-Ject digital AMP, while I waited for delivery of the accompanying Pro-Ject DAC. After this latter DAC arrived and was installed, I can't say that there was much if anything to be gained....YMMV, but if he'll be streaming SPOTIFY files via wifi, I would say this setup might be adequate.

True, for Spotify streaming it may be just enough, I agree. Actually I have a Chromecast in one of my rooms connected directly to a NAD receiver and for casual listening it's just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm 

I thought if using anything but an Android device you'd have stream from Chrome browser - if using a laptop for example. That's what I setup for my dad and it works - until he changes internet providers and fails to reconfigure the device. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

Chromecast Audio from an objective perspective ....

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/me ... audio.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
Chromecast Audio from an objective perspective ....

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/me ... audio.html

Wow, a new reading treasure chest! Thanks for this link!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:42 pm 

VegliaAudio wrote:
ckennedy wrote:

True, for Spotify streaming it may be just enough, I agree. Actually I have a Chromecast in one of my rooms connected directly to a NAD receiver and for casual listening it's just fine.

+1 from my experience also

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pm 

admin wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
And thanks for info re: Dragonfly. My MOJO has a Toslink input

Just curious, have you tried connecting your Chord Mojo DAC to the Chromecast Audio, and do you think it sounds much better than the Chromecast Audio's own built in DAC?
Sorry, no haven't tried it yet, because I haven't picked up the Chromecast Audio yet. I'll give you my impression, as soon as I can afterward. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
Premium User

I,d love to hear your impressions too as I was thinking of getting a google chromecast.

I assume I can use it with a vintage Yamaha cr1000 (same hook up as you, 3mm to 2x rca)(?)

Super cool techmology!