Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 am 

Does anyone have this LP yet?
And if so, your thoughts on the sound/pressing quality, please?
Attachment:
HLP-9032-l.jpg
HLP-9032-l.jpg [ 29.76 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 am 

I know the concert was well recorded, the songs and players are great (I have an older CD release and love it) but no idea about this vinyl pressing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 am 

bbsupersport wrote:
Attachment:
HLP-9032-l.jpg

Wow, Johnny Giriffin's on there?
I was only aware of the one Wes did in California with Grif, and the Wynton Kelly Trio, "Full House".

Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:35 am 

bbsupersport wrote:
Attachment:
HLP-9032-l.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I have Smokin' in Seattle and One Night in Indy so I'll be looking to get this one as well. Both of these pressings are perfect heavy vinyl so would expect the same.

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/AT440MLa/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Dacmagic 100/Exposure 2010S2/PSB GT1's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:32 am 

shawnwes wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
Attachment:
HLP-9032-l.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I have Smokin' in Seattle and One Night in Indy so I'll be looking to get this one as well. Both of these pressings are perfect heavy vinyl so would expect the same.

You're welcome. I'm not familiar with the Resonance pressings, so you're pleased with the sound quality of the two you have?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:05 pm 

It didn't click earlier, but the Jaco Pastorius RSD release of Truth, Liberty & Soul is on the Resonance label. Excellent pressing! That said, it's the only one I have on that label.

http://www.resonancerecords.org/release ... t=HCD-2027

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm 

ripblade wrote:
It didn't click earlier, but the Jaco Pastorius RSD release of Truth, Liberty & Soul is on the Resonance label. Excellent pressing! That said, it's the only one I have on that label.

http://www.resonancerecords.org/release ... t=HCD-2027

Good to know Rip, thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 pm 

bbsupersport wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
Attachment:
HLP-9032-l.jpg

You're welcome. I'm not familiar with the Resonance pressings, so you're pleased with the sound quality of the two you have?

The pressings are most definitely top notch. Resonance is also the label that released the studio album Bill Evans: Some Other Time a couple of years ago that's now fetching about $250 USD on Ebay due to it's quality. Remember that alot of the recordings are live concerts so it might not be studio quality sound.

One Night in Indy for instance was pretty raw both performance & sound wise but it's like you're listening to the master tape of the recording that was probably caught on a single well placed stereo mic. Smokin' In Seattle has terrific live sound.

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/AT440MLa/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Dacmagic 100/Exposure 2010S2/PSB GT1's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
The pressings are most definitely top notch. Resonance is also the label that released the studio album Bill Evans: Some Other Time a couple of years ago that's now fetching about $250 USD on Ebay due to it's quality. Remember that alot of the recordings are live concerts so it might not be studio quality sound.

One Night in Indy for instance was pretty raw both performance & sound wise but it's like you're listening to the master tape of the recording that was probably caught on a single well placed stereo mic. Smokin' In Seattle has terrific live sound.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm going to go for it, and also look for a copy of Smokin' in Seattle.
Do you feel the "One Night in Indy" is worthy having a vinyl copy of?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 am 

bbsupersport wrote:
shawnwes wrote:

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm going to go for it, and also look for a copy of Smokin' in Seattle.
Do you feel the "One Night in Indy" is worthy having a vinyl copy of?

His playing is pretty subdued on One Night in Indy but it's got a really great live vibe to it. It's not a necessary Must Have. He might have been a sit in on that date as it was before he broke big in the 60's and there's alot of comping rather than outright center stage soloing. I will say that you hear every note he plays and the SQ is like you're 10' away from his guitar amp at ear level! It a raw fun recording. Here's a link to the promo video for the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KI_6PmkMXg&list=PL6O_CTfvh4nszH_Ym6MzufEQ2WG5_xvr4 to give you an indication of what you'll hear. Interesting that they always put out a promo video for their products outlining the background.

BTW the packaging is also top notch on Resonance releases.

The two I have aren't the same sound quality you would get from say a Shelly Manne & His Men at the Manne Hole released by Contemporary Records. These are less professionally recorded but nice to have editions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:40 am 

shawnwes wrote:

The two I have aren't the same sound quality you would get from say a Shelly Manne & His Men at the Manne Hole released by Contemporary Records. These are less professionally recorded but nice to have editions.

Nobody did it better or more consistently than Contemporary, live or in the studio. Even RVG didn't come close IMO. They are the benchmark.

I'm curious about this Wes Montgomery but would like to hear direct comparisons to Full House and Smokin' at the Half Note, both of which sound very good, are stellar performances and have an arguably better rhythm section that had played together forever. It also appears that Johnny Griffin is also a "sit-in" on just one song on this? Can anybody confirm that?

If anyone gets this and can compare it to those two I'd appreciate it!