Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:50 pm 

Just thought I'd share:

Today I picked up some Duende Criatura tube rings, from an awesome fellow CAMer (thanks again Steve) for my ECC82 and 83 tubes and am seriously impressed with the magnitude of the difference.

Most notably I've never heard bass like this from my system (with either Tubes or SS): utterly more defined, faster, and simply more present than before.

I am not so sure about any improvement to the soundstage, but my overall impression is that I get more nuance, slightly better separation and considerably more micro detail (which I like).

Anyways, to those that are curious but unsure, I'd say get them. I can compare the magnitude of the difference to that of changing a crappy power cord for a decent one (that is if you believe in cables of course).

I am now considering getting these for my power tubes as well. Anyone have experience with those on power tubes?

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm 

if the tube is microphonic damping via a silicone o-ring or whatever yer budget allows may help some.

as for the increased bass output well, as Sheldon said, I'd like to do the math.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 pm 

^+1.
Martin, nice rig and setup in your gallery. If you got that quality of result with the small tubes, I expect you would be even more satisfied with dampers on the power tubes (although I'm not a tube power guy so I don't speak from experience). To me, it's one of the available tweaks that makes a lot of sense, and it's not expensive to try. There are literally dozens of brands and hundreds of sizes. $5 to $50, from silicone rings to teflon (yours and Herbie's) dampers and finned cooler dampers (EAT).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:36 am 

I don’t no anything about tubes but did enjoy looking at your gallery photos. Very nice! I couldn’t make out the speaker cable brand name but thought they looked very well made. What are they?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:48 am 

David P wrote:
I don’t no anything about tubes but did enjoy looking at your gallery photos. Very nice! I couldn’t make out the speaker cable brand name but thought they looked very well made. What are they?

Hi David, and thanks.

These are XLO Reference 3. I quite like XLO, in fact, just about all the cabling is XLO.

Cheers,
Martin

-- 17 Dec 2017 09:50 --

Che Cavolo wrote:
^+1.
Martin, nice rig and setup in your gallery. If you got that quality of result with the small tubes, I expect you would be even more satisfied with dampers on the power tubes (although I'm not a tube power guy so I don't speak from experience). To me, it's one of the available tweaks that makes a lot of sense, and it's not expensive to try. There are literally dozens of brands and hundreds of sizes. $5 to $50, from silicone rings to teflon (yours and Herbie's) dampers and finned cooler dampers (EAT).

Cheers, mate.

I might get them. Probably will wait till some become available here :)

M,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 am 

Thanks Martin!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I don't normally get involved with these types of posts, but I have to agree. The Duende Criatura are excellent tube dampers. I've heard them all, from O rings to Herbie's, to those metal folded tube coolers (tube cookers), and Duende Criatura are the only ones that work consistently. Tubes don't have to be microphonic for these to make a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:49 am 

A 'ringing' endorsement.

.....and no customs......

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/C ... Contact-Us

Good info here.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/C ... Contact-Us