Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Popcorn by Hot Butter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 pm 

Anyone else listen to this song regularly besides me?

I remember hearing this song on the car radio when my friends dad drove us to our kids tournament league hockey back around 1970. Still like it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 am 

still have the 45 !!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 am 

I have had an historical love/hate relationship with Popcorn...when I first heard it on radio...I remember kinda liking it (I would have been 10 years old)...a real "earworm" it was...then my mom got me 22 Explosive Hits (vol. 2)...it served as a springboard to my 10 year olds rock n roll appreciation...Layla was the coolest...Popcorn...not so much...now...when it comes on satellite radio or in the grocery store...I smile...again...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 am 

I heard it many times as a kid on AM radio. Then a few months ago I heard it in stereo maybe for the first time. It's actually a well engineered and produced song and a pretty catchy tune. it reminds me of the drive in theme song "Let's all go to the lobby"

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-20-2015/L7yow9.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 am 

...BTW...not to be nit-picky...but it was released in 1972... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 am 

Little trivia…it was first composed and recorded in 1969 by Gershon Kingsley. Rerecorded in 1971 by Kingsley and his First Moog Quartet band. Then redone in 1972 by Hot Butter to which it became a pop hit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_(instrumental)

Kingsley’s version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRCemf2JHc

Digital Doc. Funny you relate the song to a hockey tournament, those are the same memories I have of the song. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:02 am 

yup ...

Attachments:
20171215_075715_HDR_resized.jpg
20171215_075715_HDR_resized.jpg [ 399.97 KiB | Viewed 720 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Little trivia…it was first composed and recorded in 1969 by Gershon Kingsley. Rerecorded in 1971 by Kingsley and his First Moog Quartet band. Then redone in 1972 by Hot Butter to which it became a pop hit.

Kingsley’s version.

Digital Doc. Funny you relate the song to a hockey tournament, those are the same memories I have of the song. :lol:

Tournament league hockey, I believe is what it is called, not a specific hockey tournament. Oh Yeah we had a good team back then, didn't lose very often and won our division title a few times. We even won the city championship one year. The coach however usually played is five favorite players and the rest of us were bench warmers for the most part. I anchored center on the third line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 am 

For me, this tune was in the same category as " Kung Fu Fighting " and " Who let the Dogs Out " and " Midnight at The Oasis "

:twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:31 am 

who can forget
Turning Japanese by the Vapours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 am 

warhorse wrote:
who can forget
Turning Japanese by the Vapours

moi...but thanks for reminding me... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:49 am 

we did have a lot of one hit "whatevers" back in the day

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 am 

Digital Doc wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Kingsley’s version.

Tournament league hockey, I believe is what it is called, not a specific hockey tournament. Oh Yeah we had a good team back then, didn't lose very often and won our division title a few times. We even won the city championship one year. The coach however usually played is five favorite players and the rest of us were bench warmers for the most part. I anchored center on the third line.

Can’t remember my age (maybe around 10, 11), but remember our team sponsor “Helen Blakely Flowers” (which I just found out is still in business). Brunt of many jokes from the league. But despite our girlish name we kicked a$$ and won our division. Flower Power!! Remember a promotional game against another league on an Olympic sized rink. Took us wee sprogs a good 5 minutes to get from one goal line to the other! :lol:

That year I scored a hat trick and shutout within the same game. Our goalie was late so I opted to play net without the goalie equipment! Goalie finally showed up and I went on to score a hat trick! Dem’s braggin’ rights for a 10(ish) year old! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 am 

How about Kung Fu Fighting? Lots of shitty pop music back then.

As a curiosity, I can play the entire Popcorn song by clapping cupped hands in front of my mouth. Been doing it since I was a kid. Multi-faceted talent I possess.

Maybe I'll put it on Youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 am 

Stan Free of Hot butter fame was a member of Gershwin Kingsley's Moog quartet and after performing Popcorn he just had to cover it and add his own spin to it with his "Hot Butter" band. To say the least Hot Butter's version was the most successful version and I can think of over 10 different cover versions of Popcorn. Even Gershon Kingsley recorded 3 versions of Popcorn! Such a great litttle tune!