Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm 

Current product. . . Cannot post price???

Does anyone know the logic behind these dealer posts? When I respond, they supply a price that is hardly a reduction and well above any one else's sale pricen on the Web. Is this just a marketing ploy because I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm 

Terry, dealers are often limited from posting prices - particularly for any discount - as the upline distributors do not want online competition from their approved dealers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

I see. Thank-you for the clarification.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:47 pm 

It's much better to just call. I bought a pair of HD800S headphones ($2,200 retail) online by calling various dealers and got $500 under retail, while no dealer locally would give me more than $100. It's 2017, people shop around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

SoundRodney wrote:
Terry, dealers are often limited from posting prices - particularly for any discount - as the upline distributors do not want online competition from their approved dealers.

exactly, and we are to respect our territory boundaries as well. to get your best price, make a call and then visit the establishment. walk-in pricing, cash and carry will be the best price you'll get.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro
BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:18 am 

Depends on the product and the price point. It's hard to know to motivation in some cases.

I worked for a company that specialized in expensive, factory direct products and their policy of not advertising price or giving it on the show floor was beneficial for a variety of reasons. We weren't a value product so weren't interested in customers looking for the cheapest unit. We wouldn't have it. I also felt it would further qualify a customer, as it was a longer process which allowed us to also build rapport and further explain features and benefits of the product.

Lots of places will beat MSRP... In retail it's more competitive with multiple sellers. Some companies like Apple I believe control pricing of their products in their retail sellers stores or at least place restrictions on their ability to mark product down. Lots of retailers will try to match online and advertised prices, and asking a local retailer if they would do that may be easier than asking how low they'll go. Same answer, different question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 am 
Premium User

corby wrote:
SoundRodney wrote:

exactly, and we are to respect our territory boundaries as well. to get your best price, make a call and then visit the establishment. walk-in pricing, cash and carry will be the best price you'll get.

Do you mean a dealer cannot sell an item and ship it outside their "territory boundary" if it is destined for another dealer's territory?

I would think the Competition Bureau of Canada would have issue with this....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:56 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

we respect each other's territories.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro
BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 am 

corby wrote:
we respect each other's territories.

Absolutely. It's important to not sell solely on price.

It really is best to call and/or visit a shop for pricing. Especially on new product. Plus it's hard for both parties to make really helpful recommendations on speculation. It's always best to hear a few things in one spot if you're shopping for something specific. You might avoid making a purchasing mistake. And it's always better to get what you really like, than a smoking deal on something it turns out you don't.

It's better business to give good pricing and service in person when you know that you've been well taken care of and developed rapport.

Also, if a dealer introduces you to a product you love and must have, don't frantically try to find it elsewhere for less money. Come to a deal that is actually reasonable for both of you and respect that a sincere attempt to satisfy you was made rather than a sales attempt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am 

Back in the early days of e-commerce I got the bug....and spent over $30,000 populating a huge addressable database of parts, pricing and schematics. It took about 40 hours a month to keep it up to date as our pricing was tied to the (floating) US greenback. And I monitored its use; I was getting a couple of thousand hits a month. And sold a few hundred bucks. Then I found out my customers were using the site to get factory part numbers and calling my US competitors to order the parts. The other (I suspect) main use was my Canadian competitors using my list to set their pricing. I gave up after about 18 months.....

The only complaints I received after we ceased the web site (and then subsequently ceased producing our 300-page catalogue) were from people who had never bought s screw from us! I found out the serious customers were those who came by the shop or who called. We are a national parts supplier and most of our serious customers live up to thousands of kms away. In our case, the phone is the best and most productive way to negotiate the best price.

Businesses are there to generate revenue for the business; they are not a charity, public-service provider or a free technical support organization. When I get calls from someone who bought their parts from someone else and want me to tell them how to install it I get suddenly and profoundly forgetful.

This is not a rant, nor is it an attempt to shame anyone in this hobby; it is just to illustrate that, as hobbyists, we sometimes forget that the person on the other end of the phone has kids to feed.

In regards to Terry's question, I agree that the best way to get a "good deal" is to develop a relationship with a vendor of your choice; make them aware you are a serious buyer and follow through. After the first purchase, I am much more willing to go the extra yard for my customers..until then I have to assume you are not serious and I manage how much time and money I am able to spend on you. Repeat customers will always be respected and valued at a stereo store.

All of the above goes out the window if your only choice is on-line purchases. Totally different algorithm.

I only wish any of my competitors would respect "my territory" :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

brownslane wrote:
Back in the early days of e-commerce I got the bug....and spent over $30,000 populating a huge addressable database of parts, pricing and schematics. It took about 40 hours a month to keep it up to date as our pricing was tied to the (floating) US greenback. And I monitored its use; I was getting a couple of thousand hits a month. And sold a few hundred bucks. Then I found out my customers were using the site to get factory part numbers and calling my US competitors to order the parts. The other (I suspect) main use was my Canadian competitors using my list to set their pricing. I gave up after about 18 months.....

The only complaints I received after we ceased the web site (and then subsequently ceased producing our 300-page catalogue) were from people who had never bought s screw from us! I found out the serious customers were those who came by the shop or who called. We are a national parts supplier and most of our serious customers live up to thousands of kms away. In our case, the phone is the best and most productive way to negotiate the best price.

Businesses are there to generate revenue for the business; they are not a charity, public-service provider or a free technical support organization. When I get calls from someone who bought their parts from someone else and want me to tell them how to install it I get suddenly and profoundly forgetful.

This is not a rant, nor is it an attempt to shame anyone in this hobby; it is just to illustrate that, as hobbyists, we sometimes forget that the person on the other end of the phone has kids to feed.

In regards to Terry's question, I agree that the best way to get a "good deal" is to develop a relationship with a vendor of your choice; make them aware you are a serious buyer and follow through. After the first purchase, I am much more willing to go the extra yard for my customers..until then I have to assume you are not serious and I manage how much time and money I am able to spend on you. Repeat customers will always be respected and valued at a stereo store.

All of the above goes out the window if your only choice is on-line purchases. Totally different algorithm.

Oh, you're getting a high five when you visit!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

brownslane wrote:

nicely said.

BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am 
Premium User

"I agree that the best way to get a "good deal" is to develop a relationship with a vendor of your choice; make them aware you are a serious buyer and follow through. After the first purchase, I am much more willing to go the extra yard for my customers..until then I have to assume you are not serious and I manage how much time and money I am able to spend on you. Repeat customers will always be respected and valued at a stereo store. "

Agreed wholly and completely!

And then there's the tale (I've told before) of the person who waltzed into the store with a broken piece of gear under his arm - a brand we represented but he was not a customer.
He asked if we could repair the piece and we stated that we could send it to our tech to have a look at and would apprise him of the cost of repair.
He was astounded. "But it's still under warranty!" he said.
To which we replied - "Did you purchase that piece here?" (knowing full well he got it from some USA based dealer - the shipping tag/address was still on the box.)
Of course he had not and adamantly insisted we should fix it - until we showed him the information in the manual that stated the product must be returned to the point of purchase for any warranty-related repair.

As it turned out - we fixed it for him for less than the cost of shipping it back to the "point of purchase" and, lesson learned, he was a regular client from then on - more so when he realized we would have sold him the same piece for only around $150 more than he paid for it out of the USA and we would have taken care of the warranty work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:08 am 

Some good answers all around. If anything like me, shopping for audio products these days takes quite some time with online research, user reviews, track records, and the aggressive online pricing that can be found these days. It is not uncommon to get amazing deals hundred of dollars cheaper than any local dealer's best sale price. I have never been in the sales industry in any form and can't imagine the intense competition that must exist today. I think sometimes i forget that the reason aggressive pricing can exist is because of competition and the need to support "territorial" businesses in your area. But to that effect, they also need to recognize the "global" store front that exists today and meet us half way.

I will say this, as a consumer, I am tired of spending tens of thousands of dollars on gear that seems to
last less than 5 years these days without something failing on it. And it happens way too often on big name, big ticket products. I have some audio relics still today from my youth when I started this adventure, and after some 30 years, it still works without issues. This cannot be said for a lot of today's gear, and I expect it to fail after a short period of time. I think this is the main issue for my obsessive search for the lowest price possible, to mitigate my losses when it does fail. And it will as experience has proven this.

I guess this is where local dealers are worth their weight in gold, to assist with damage control when our prized possessions die and need to be revived. Their assistance makes this experience a lot less dramatic and sometimes knowing that their safety net is there to assist, makes local purchases on big ticket items provides a bit more of a confidence purchase when spending hard earned dollars. On the other side of the coin, I work hard to "feed my kids" as well, and need to reduce risks of wasted cash. This may drive my need to save as much as possible.

All that being said, I respect the role of local vendors and I do support them where possible!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 am 

I believe that not posting a price is against the CAM rules, unless it is a 'Best Offer' fishing expedition. Also, dealer ads are ONLY supposed to be special deals ... not regular-priced items.

If a dealer makes you call and gives you their regular price, they are breaking the rules. Then again, they pay to be able to break the rules.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll: