Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

Post subject: Totem Tribe Tower!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

They are here and ready for you to take a listen! Come and check out what all the hype has been about on these speakers. There is definitely a reason why everyone has been raving about this product.

Hear the new Totem Tribe Tower Speakers and tell us what you think!

Star Electronics
1136 The Queensway Toronto Ontario M8Z1P7

P. 416 251-1111
www.stardeals.ca

Post subject: Re: Totem Tribe Tower!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

How do these compare with the Sttafs? Price? thanks, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Hi Tom,

There is quite a difference as these are in the $5500.00 price range. Not really comparing apples to apples here since the Tribes are at a completely different level of performance, look, and quality of parts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm 

How would you say they compare to the Hawk or Forest in the sound department? What's better/worse/same?

As an Arro owner I know that the unassuming 4" driver can get surprisingly low but at $5,500 I have to wonder how much better they could be?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Yes its a fair question as I also had my concerns when they announced this product being developed and its price point. I think its only natural for us to assume the limitations of a small driver. I probably made the same assumptions as many others and was fairly skeptical based on the information we were receiving while in the making. Even when the product was released I still had my doubts although the feedback from everyone was extremely positive and with raving comments.

Regardless of my initial thoughts I had to put that all aside and give it an honest listen here in the store. It only took less than a minute to realize I was way off track with my original concerns and was quite blown away by the Tribe Towers. Now part of that may be just the mere fact that its such a small package producing a massive sound and it plays on the mind but after more listening I realized that this speaker definitely has its place in the line up.

One of the concerns I had as a retailer was its price point. At $5500.00 it falls into the Forest pricing and I was afraid it could cause some confusion, not only at the consumer end but at the retailers end also. After spending almost half a day with an A/B comparison between Forest and Tribe I came to the conclusion that Totem did their homework.

There is a definite difference between the two products. Without getting into a lot of detail here since I really don't want to write a book or sound like one of those magazine reviewers... Both products have that staple Totem soundstage which is generally open and detailed. The Forest tends to have a slightly more rounded bass along with providing good low frequency extension. The Tribes seem to present a tad more attack or slap but still carries out the bass extension, just not quite as prominent as the Forest in terms of extension but its definitely there in the Tribes. Vocal presentation is also a little different and there are certain things I like about both but again I'm not going to get into a lot of detail here. Obviously the footprint of the Tribes is smaller than the Forest and the esthetics are quite different. The Forest look more like a traditional product whereas the Tribes are more modern looking, so again we have two different flavors to choose from.

Bottom line is, The Totem Tribe speakers definitely hold their own and have a place in the $5500.00 price point. I'd also like to add that the people at Totem have done a great job with this product and I'll have to say its a pretty ballsy move to come up with a speaker this size at its price point. Hats of to Vince, he's done a fantastic job on these.

No matter how descriptive someone can be with the differences between Forest and Tribe, you'll never truly understand until you hear it.... Until then our assumptions will get the best of us.

In answer to your question about the Hawks... I truly believe the Tribes are a step up, again supporting their price point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

^^ Well said.

All of their Element and Torrent Tribes series have the speed and air of electrostats, while being easy to drive, place in a room and fun as all heck to listen to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Thanks appreciate it!

Yes you're right.... a lot of fun. We've been hooking it up to a few different amps just to try and its been a hoot to say the least.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 am 

Appreciated, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

You're welcome, hope it helps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:03 am 

SimcoeSound wrote:
... Torrent Tribes series have the speed and air of electrostats, while being easy to drive, place in a room and fun as all heck to listen to.

That exactly my thought when listened to them at the Montreal Audio Show. I also believe that Totem designed the Tribe Tower to fit in a condo lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm 

SimcoeSound wrote:
^^ Well said.

All of their Element and Torrent Tribes series have the speed and air of electrostats, while being easy to drive, place in a room and fun as all heck to listen to.

The Element Fires were the first speaker that I brought home that made my ATC SCM 40's seem ordinary in the speed department ( no small feat ). If the Tribes do the same thing I would imagine they're an entertaining listen.