Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 pm 

have you used apc ups in audio setup did it improve anything

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm 

I have an APC power conditioner and supply.
I love it. Does everything it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 pm 

what model

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 pm 

It is an older model.
Apc 150 i think.
It is conditioner and surge protector not a back up ups.
But it does the job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:07 am 

Depends on the issues expereinced

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:33 am 

jnaudio wrote:
have you used apc ups in audio setup did it improve anything

APC makes excellent power conditioners for audio video systems, and they also make UPS battery backup systems for computers. UPS systems are quite different from what one typically would use in an AV system, you can find more about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterru ... wer_supply

Years ago APC made a model or two which added a battery backup system to an AV power conditioner; I was never quite clear what they were hoping to accomplish with that product, and I don't think the idea caught on.

Personally I wouldn't pay a lot for an older UPS system as the batteries in UPS systems have to be replaced periodically, and they can be very specialized and costly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 am 

I had tried a couple of different models and nothing really seemed much better using just a UPS. I picked up a higher end one (borrowed from a job at work for a couple of weeks) that does the double conversion and it made a very noticeable difference, sonically and electrically with a power analyzer. These are also called stabilizers or regenerators and they may or may not have a battery in them.
I ended up with a PS audio unit that I have been using for a couple of years now. It worked out to cost around the same as buying an APC 2200VA pure-sine output double conversion UPS.
Good luck, J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 am 

I just checked the front of my APC unit and cannot see the model number. As it is built-in I am not going to dig it out. But I purchased it to provide a buffer from my (flakey) grid power. We experience power outages every week here, mostly due to the major construction going on (monster homes....yuck).

My APC has 11 outlets, and completely supports my system. When tested, it shows 3 hours of backup when my whole system (preamps, Yamaha 20070, 2 Carver M1.0T's etc) are powered and running. I cannot say I have noticed a significant sonic change, but I no longer worry about all those nasty spikes and surges beating up my equipment.

Recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am 

Many consumer grade UPSs provide a very approximate (stepped) sine wave output - it is a combination of square waves, which is very rough. A lot of equipment does not like this sine wave. It is essentially a "dirty power", since those approximations are noise, which your equipment power supply will see. In some extreme cases, this type of UPS output can damage the power supplies.

I got very lucky and recently bought 3 KVA industrial active double conversion UPS off Kijiji. It takes hydro AC, converts it to DC/battery, then converts it back to AC for a perfect sine wave. These are very expensive, but I got mine for peanuts used with excellent condition batteries. It is a 120V/30A on the input, so required separate line from the panel with specialized receptacle.

Overall cost of such active double conversion UPS is less than a cost of high-end "audio" power conditioner (and 3 KVA = ~2.4 KW is more than enough for almost any home audio system).

So I wouldn't use consumer UPS for audio system, unless it's a good quality UPS - do your research.