Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 am 

You know, it's all fine and good to have prices based on materials used. For speaker veneers, for example, some veneers are quite expensive and harder to use because they're prone to cracking, checking, etc. So yeah, it's reasonable to expect that some exotic hardwoods will add to the cost of a product, and even sometimes significantly.
However, I just saw and ad where the product has a maple base which is one price (and the base is not a huge piece of wood). The option? To have walnut instead of maple cost another $100!
I just have to wonder why? Walnut is far easier to get in large pieces, generally cheaper (or at least around the same price), easier to work with, much easier on tools, and even easier to get a really nice finish (maple can be a real hassle)....I guess it's because it looks 'cooler', so it must cost more...sheesh. I guess being a company that's offering stuff to audiophiles, they figure that they can just arbitrarily adjust prices because, well, that's what audio companies seem to do :(
Anyway, I guess I needed to rant about something today :)
b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 am 

Logic? It may not apply in this instance. I am assuming the ad is from the speaker manufacturer. I find the price difference doesn't seem logical...

I laughed at your final comment. Sometimes venting a little is cathartic. I hope you now have a great day!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 am 

brownslane wrote:
Logic? It may not apply in this instance. I am assuming the ad is from the speaker manufacturer. I find the price difference doesn't seem logical...

I laughed at your final comment. Sometimes venting a little is cathartic. I hope you now have a great day!! :)

Haha..yeah, the day will be fine :)
Actually, if it were a speaker manufacturer I might understand it (for exotic and/or troublesome veneers), but the price difference is for the base which the component(s) in question sit on. And not a big base either. No more than one or two board feet, at most, which would equate to maybe a $5 difference in the raw materials price!
Total rip-off if you ask me...just sayin' :P
B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am 

mantisory wrote:
brownslane wrote:

Haha..yeah, the day will be fine :)
Actually, if it were a speaker manufacturer I might understand it (for exotic and/or troublesome veneers), but the price difference is for the base which the component(s) in question sit on. And not a big base either. No more than one or two board feet, at most, which would equate to maybe a $5 difference in the raw materials price!
Total rip-off if you ask me...just sayin' :P
B

I can understand your frustration. Pricing wood is time consuming, and can lead to a few surprise. I usually buy mine rough cut, and I find that the price difference on walnut versus maple, any grade or species of maple, are usually 2 ½ more expensive. I also find that walnut can splinter more easily than maple. In the case you presented, will that justified a 100.00$ surcharge, I don't really know...

http://www.peacocklumber.ca/pricing-rou ... ood-lumber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 am 

Well, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis so I will pass on what I know. First you have to decide what you are using; veneer/ plywood v.s. Solid. Walnut veneer/ ply is almost double the price of maple. If you are looking at solid, it depends what grade, size, and type you are using. I can get walnut anywhere from $3.50 b.f. to $12+ depending on grade, size etc...
Also, and you are correct, walnut is extremely popular right now. Supply and demand dictates a higher price for walnut because that is what everyone wants.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 am 

Wow, there's some pretty big price difference in Maple vs. Walnut, but many other mills do not have the same (check this one, for example: http://centurymill.com/site/domestic-hardwood-1/)...especially when you get to useful sizes (8/4, 12/4 etc). It could be that walnut is not as easily sourced in your neck of the woods, I dunno.
And yeah, like I said, the piece in question is maybe 2 board feet, so even at the prices you listed, we're talking about a $10 difference. Also, I've always found that getting a nice finish with either is relatively easy unless you're using something more 'exotic' like burls, curly, birdseye, etc...and hard maple is definitely more time consuming and expensive because of the wear and tear on machinery, tools, constantly needing to sharpen, etc...
Anyway, I'm not in the market for the products on offer, I just thought it a bit strange to see that much of a difference in pricing...
b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm 

Another possible reason for the price difference is the maple plinths might be a production item whereas the walnut might be made on a per order basis. Even though they're identical otherwise, production costs on a limited order will still be higher.

Last edited by ripblade on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

You hit the nail on the head. The Maple is what he regularly uses. Perhaps he bought material in bulk.
The surcharge may be because he does not regularly use Walnut and to buy it is at a price preference to what was prior negotiated with Maple.

Or, perhaps he has a big armoire that's made of Maple that he's cutting up... (he, he, he).

Just my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Well, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis so I will pass on what I know. First you have to decide what you are using; veneer/ plywood v.s. Solid. Walnut veneer/ ply is almost double the price of maple. If you are looking at solid, it depends what grade, size, and type you are using. I can get walnut anywhere from $3.50 b.f. to $12+ depending on grade, size etc...
Also, and you are correct, walnut is extremely popular right now. Supply and demand dictates a higher price for walnut because that is what everyone wants.

I tend to agree...
wait until you price out Purpleheart, Desert Ironwood, African Mahogany, Ebony etc