Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:39 pm 

I recently blew one of my speakers and replaced them with another used pair of the same brand but different model and much prefer this new to me pair of bookshelf/stand mounted speakers. They are no longer manufactured so have been thinking of getting a second pair as backup in case another problem happens with this pair. I have owned dozens and dozens of speakers over the past 30 years and must say I think these are my favourites so what do you think does it make sense to purchase another used pair as backup. I only really need one pair as they are used in a 2.0 stereo system but they are rare and hard to find. Does anyone else own two pair of a favourite speaker but only use one pair and keep another as a spare?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm 

Interesting question....
The gotcha in this situation, is that speakers age, whether you use them or not, so will the replacements still function well when you need them? Woofer foam surrounds, for example, will continue to break down... Ferro fluid in the tweeters will continue to dry out....

So it's going to be a bit dependant on what speaker/drivers we are specifically talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm 

Interestingly, I have several pairs of speakers kicking around. Not all in use. Bought a pair of Focal 706s that have been out of rotation for a while. Then I hooked them up a few months back and noticed the vinyl veneer covering the sides had started to peel! :oops:

They still sound as good as ever. But just don't have the look to match, unfortunately. It is minor, and only on the top. But is noticeable to me. I would imagine the rubber surrounds would last quite a while, and the tweeter will hopefully as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm 

I am talking about Paradigm Atom v2 which I blew out the woofer. They use foam surrounds for the cones on the mid/bass woofer. I am thinking that they had rotted out and after a fairly high volume listening session they gave out. Instead of trying to fix them as I do love their sound I decided to purchase a pair of Paradigm Focus v.3 speakers off of CAM as I have always wanted to hear them. As I suspected I love them and they are to my ears very refined and produce a musical sound stage I thoroughly enjoy. They don't use foam for their surrounds so imagine they will last longer than the foam on the Atoms. The Atom and Focus both use a CMC tweeter only the latter uses a 1" version and the other a 3/4" tweeter. How long do tweeters last with regard to ferro fluid etc? Should I be concerned about purchasing a 12-15 year old speaker?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

Scott954 wrote:
I recently blew one of my speakers and replaced them with another used pair of the same brand but different model and much prefer this new to me pair of bookshelf/stand mounted speakers. They are no longer manufactured so have been thinking of getting a second pair as backup in case another problem happens with this pair. I have owned dozens and dozens of speakers over the past 30 years and must say I think these are my favourites so what do you think does it make sense to purchase another used pair as backup. I only really need one pair as they are used in a 2.0 stereo system but they are rare and hard to find. Does anyone else own two pair of a favourite speaker but only use one pair and keep another as a spare?

Coincidence, I just did exactly that. Last week I scored a pair of BG Neo-10, seen only one other time in the last 3 years on eBay since BG went out of production. I already have a pair, but I like them so much I splurged on a 2nd pair. They might eventually become a part of a vertical MTM arrangement, but it's not the reason I bought them.

https://www.parts-express.com/bohlender ... r--264-715

I say you only live once....if you like them enough....build a stash....the winters are cold in these parts.... :mrgreen:

Last edited by ripblade on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:28 pm 

Rubber surrounds do last longer, but they also age and change their damping charateristics with time. They just don't fail as chatastrophically as foam...

On the tweeter front, not all use ferrofluid, so the first thing to figure out is if that's even a concern. If it is, and the tweeters aren't blown, then disassembling the tweeter, cleaning the old ferro fluid out, and adding fresh, is not too big a job. Given that Paradigm has a factory and repair operation in Toronto, I'd probably ask them first, but there are others out there doing this sort of work if they don't... I've seen estimates on a 10-15 year lifetime on ferrofluid, before it drys out too much, so yes, I'd be starting to think about some service work.

cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
Rubber surrounds do last longer, but they also age and change their damping charateristics with time. They just don't fail as chatastrophically as foam...

On the tweeter front, not all use ferrofluid, so the first thing to figure out is if that's even a concern. If it is, and the tweeters aren't blown, then disassembling the tweeter, cleaning the old ferro fluid out, and adding fresh, is not too big a job. Given that Paradigm has a factory and repair operation in Toronto, I'd probably ask them first, but there are others out there doing this sort of work if they don't... I've seen estimates on a 10-15 year lifetime on ferrofluid, before it drys out too much, so yes, I'd be starting to think about some service work.

cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have always wondered how long speakers should last. Their lifespan I guess. I did think that with care with regard to volume that they may last a human lifetime but that does not seem to be the case without some maintenance and repair. I guess contacting the manufacturer would be the best way to ask about tweeter, woofer and general speaker longevity and lifespan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

Go for it.
Run them back to back dipole style.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm 

Scott954 wrote:
I am talking about Paradigm Atom v2 which I blew out the woofer. They use foam surrounds for the cones on the mid/bass woofer. I am thinking that they had rotted out and after a fairly high volume listening session they gave out. Instead of trying to fix them as I do love their sound I decided to purchase a pair of Paradigm Focus v.3 speakers off of CAM as I have always wanted to hear them. As I suspected I love them and they are to my ears very refined and produce a musical sound stage I thoroughly enjoy. They don't use foam for their surrounds so imagine they will last longer than the foam on the Atoms. The Atom and Focus both use a CMC tweeter only the latter uses a 1" version and the other a 3/4" tweeter. How long do tweeters last with regard to ferro fluid etc? Should I be concerned about purchasing a 12-15 year old speaker?

I did repair a pair of atom. they don t last long, first the woofer is so small that it can barely take 20 watt.second when taking out the woofer, they are mounted from behind the baffle, and you will notice that the cut out hole is very sharp, and the foam surround rub on that sharp hedge when played loud( figure of speech because they cannot play loud) so the foam will brake down prematurely. so before you installe new drivers, I did use a file and round off that edge so the suspension don t rub anymore. it take 5 minute and might save you drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 pm 

zon001 wrote:
Scott954 wrote:

I did repair a pair of atom. they don t last long, first the woofer is so small that it can barely take 20 watt.second when taking out the woofer, they are mounted from behind the baffle, and you will notice that the cut out hole is very sharp, and the foam surround rub on that sharp hedge when played loud( figure of speech because they cannot play loud) so the foam will brake down prematurely. so before you installe new drivers, I did use a file and round off that edge so the suspension don t rub anymore. it take 5 minute and might save you drivers.

Thanks for the tip for the repair on the Paradigm Atom. I tend to play music at moderate to over moderate levels with a 100 watt per channel Denon receiver which actually seems very powerful. I love the Atoms but now know they don't have the capacity to handle the power and volume that I enjoy. So I am going to stick with the same Paradigm Performance series only now with the larger Focus model which seems so far to be able to handle greater power and volume.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 am 

I agree with Ripblade, go for it. If you see a pair at a decent price in decent condition.
I am like that with guitar effects pedals...if I find one I really love I get a spare...or two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 am 

Hi,

Note to scott954: A couple of things. First, there are very few speakers that have ferro-fluid tweeters and I imagine the Paradigm speakers that you now like are not ferro-fluid. Conventional soft-dome and other types of tweeters can last decades. Provided you don't drop a speaker cabinet on say cement and that you don't over-drive it, by which I mean not exceeding the recommended amplifier power, a decently built speaker may last 50+ years. The main danger is amplifier clipping, by which I mean driving them to very high levels with an amplifier that is under-powered and runs out of gas and 'clips'. You will know if it happens. The second danger is 'gravity' which you cannot do much about. Speakers with large woofers (8+ inches) may develop woofer sag when the surround material becomes old and tired and this sagging may create a scratchy voice coil. Foam surrounds are inclined to disintegrate and rubber seems to sag. Foam can be replaced and sagging can be cured, at least for a while, by rotating the bass driver 180 degrees. Internal cross-over parts are mostly passive save for small capacitors, which age, but slowly.

All this is to say that buying a second pair is likely not needed, but I would check with Paradigm about the long term availability of the drivers they use in this specific model you like, as well as the Atoms. So many Atoms were sold that spare drivers are probably widely available. Changing one is easy, but see the suggestion made above by another poster about chamfering and bevelling the cut-out. When the original drivers for any commercial speaker are 'no longer in production' or 'not available for repairs' then you have a real problem fixing any quality speaker.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:10 pm 

I sort of did that many years ago. I bought a pair of Smaller Advents then a few months later bought another pair at a great price (the cabinets were a little beat up but otherwise they were in good shape). I thought it would be a good idea to have a couple spare drivers.
We wound up running them as a stacked pair. Much more fun than keeping them in the closet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:43 pm 

I have a two pairs of Paradigm speakers from around 1994 (Atoms and 9seMk3). Both are still fine.

Recently had another pair of speakers from the same era with foam surrounds and one of the
surrounds disintegrated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 pm 

we are talking about a backup pair of atom v2's?!

on one hand I've seen em as low as $50/pair on kijiji so no big investment.

on the other hand why waste coin on something for basically parts? if money/space not an issue then go for it but like others mentioned try em stacked. play!

on the other other hand (maybe foot?) if the atom v2's tickle your fancy what about the v3's or v4's? might enjoy even more...

if you are referring going from atom to focus and hunting for another pair of focuses (or is that focai for plural?) and then you hear a pair of minis and like em even more then what?

no moosen were harmed during the composition of this post...