Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm 

Hello all.

I have an iphone 7+

I have a couple hundred gigs of CD's ripped to my older iMac in the ALAC format.

I would like to get music from my iMac to my phone and then to wireless headphones (likely B&W P7's)

I do not want to pay for Apple music, do not want to use it all infact.

What do I do? Your advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm 

I haven't been through it myself, but if I were in your shoes, I would start here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674408?start=0. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 pm 

"]I haven't been through it myself, but if I were in your shoes, I would start here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674408?start=0. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the response, however this points to the direction I am trying to avoid!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm 

Given Apples strong hold on what software can be used with their devices it is difficult to recommend an alternative to iTunes, especially on a Mac. Haven’t gone through this in detail but have a look. Use at your own discretion and back up your phone first. At worse you will break that certification between your iPhone and iTunes to which you will have to reset and start from scratch. Again…back up!

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... s-3613811/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm 

posensm2 wrote:
Thanks for the response, however this points to the direction I am trying to avoid!

I know that you're trying to avoid using Apple Music, but are you trying to avoid using iTunes, too?

As I understand it, iTunes and Apple Music are *not* the same thing. iTunes is a platform for playing music; Apple Music is a subscription service. You can use them together, but you can also use iTunes without subscribing to Apple Music. The link above will help you to do just that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm 

iTunes and Apple Music are not the same thing. I would like to simply move music from my iMac.

iTunes on the my iMac contains my music, indifferent to using iTunes. Ultimate goal is to use my phone as my portable music device and I should also mention that a cloud storage is not feasible. I am a military dude, cloud storage is not feasible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:55 pm 

I see. You can use iTunes to sync your music to your phone as in that link (or maybe this one is better, from the third reply down in that thread: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253). This doesn't have to involve cloud storage.

Even if you do that, though, you likely won't be able to store your whole library on there. Unless you want to transcode to some smaller file format, you will be limited by the amount of storage in your phone (a max of 256GB, I think, depending on the version you got).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:01 pm 

Sorry, thought you were looking for an iTunes alternative. Does this video help? Obviously a few hundred gigs of music will not fit on an iPhone so you will have to be selective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDLPoYMVA4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:06 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

If you are looking for quality audio, move away from the iPhone and look at something like the Onkyo DP-X1A and look out for an aptX bluetooth receiver connected to a pair of good quality wired headphones. The Onkyo will play your Alac files.

I still have a 160Gb Ipod Classic that I use with Media Monkey to playback my .wav format music that I ripped from CD and vinyl years ago...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 pm 

You can stream your music collection from your iMac to your iPhone over your wireless network using AirPlay and/or Airfoil software by Rogue Amoeba.

As for sound quality, this setup does OK streaming 16/44.1 but it appears to downsample any hi-res files. The result is not musical, at my house anyway. And the wireless speaker/headphone connection is a neat trick but Bluetooth SQ IME is not as good as wired.

YMMV and I hope it does.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 pm 

if portable is the intended use then I suggest you keep with the wireless route. I'm over 5 years now with a pair of AKG bt set that I use for a couple hours daily. all earlier wired phones I had would always break at the cable connector inside of a year. Bluetooth has come a long way for sq so in a set up as you are planning any difference that may exist is easily out weighed by the inconvenience aspects of dealing with a cable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am 

Are you looking to use your music in your own wifi environment or out in public?

Willing to load a music app on your phone?

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 am 

Your phone has iTunes... sync your iTunes library to your phone - you'll have to select specific ones you want synced. Check off the box that encodes during sync to a 256k bps output. Unfamiliar with your headphones.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am 

+1 Syncing your iPhone7 with iTunes is your only sensible option...unless you make the switch to Droid...I did for this very reason. While I love the Apple hardware...keeping users tied to iTunes and no support for hi-res? I am sure if Steve Jobs was still around we would have hi-res Apple Music...but alas I digress...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:53 am 

On your iMac, convert your music library to mp3 for smaller file size, then move to new playlist. Sync your phone to that playlist.
Convert file format with iTunes instructions:
Convert songs that are already in your iTunes library
Open iTunes. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
Click the General tab, then click Import Settings in the lower section of the window.
Click the menu next to Import Using, then choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to.
Click OK to save the settings.
From your library, select one or more songs that you want to convert.
Choose File > Convert, (older iTunes: create a new version)/then Create [format] Version. The format shown is the one that you chose in step 4.
Not familiar with cordless headphones.
Hope this helps.