Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Phono Cable
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am 

I have a stock cable on my DV507 mkII tonearm. Apparently, the cable that makes the biggest difference is the phono cable.

Will the audio sensibility cable be an improvement? Which one? Do they have a home audition available?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Phono Cable
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am 

Despite that I feel a cable can have more of an impact with a low level phono signal that with a line level, I wouldn’t say it guarantees an improvement. What is pleasing to me may not be pleasing you which in turn could be different from the next guy. I have had excellent results from OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting) cable (non Audio Sensibility), more so than the dozen of others I have tried. If interested but yet skeptical, see if you can borrow one from a fellow member. Or drop Steve from Audio Sensibility a line. Awesome guy – I’m sure he will be more than happy to answer any questions and perhaps have something you can audition (I do not know this for sure, but doesn’t hurt to ask)

I am assuming the DV507 is a din connection?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am 

Yes, it's a DIN. AFAIK, the phono cable is made by furutech.

In my experience, wire is overpriced. Which makes me very careful. It's something that I cannot reliably detect.

It could just be about the circuits involved when subjected to small changes in capacitive/inductive loading. Which would explain very well why the same cable in two systems can sound remarkably different.

I'd like to think that my system is immune to cable changes, and I'm just not deaf, but... I'm an old goat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm 

It really depends on how good the stock phono cable is. Some are very good, and some are just an afterthought. I find stock Linn tonearm cables to be pretty average, and I replaced the ones on both my Ittock (with Cardas Neutral Reference) and Akito tonearms (with XLO Reference Series). I also think that the quality of the DIN connectors makes a big difference. Cardas and SME make very nice DIN connectors, but I avoid generic molded ones.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 pm 

Bumpy wrote:
Yes, it's a DIN. AFAIK, the phono cable is made by furutech.

In my experience, wire is overpriced. Which makes me very careful. It's something that I cannot reliably detect.

It could just be about the circuits involved when subjected to small changes in capacitive/inductive loading. Which would explain very well why the same cable in two systems can sound remarkably different.

I'd like to think that my system is immune to cable changes, and I'm just not deaf, but... I'm an old goat.

Well…the only way to know is to try. But for the record, Furutech also uses OCC drawn copper and silver. Not saying yours employs this technology, just saying they do use it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

What's the cartridge?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm 

Koetsu Black Goldline.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 pm 

I would say the Furutech should be decent for D507 and Koetsu, but if you want an upgrade go for Nordost( any budget you have)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm 

Bumpy wrote:
Koetsu Black Goldline.

Nice cartridge. Tell ya what…I do not have a phono cable with a DIN connection to loan you, so how about you lend me the Koetsu and I’ll report back with my findings. :wink:

Can’t comment on the Furutech. But do believe from experience that changing the cable will give you a different result. Whether that result is positive or not will all be dependent on your perception of the outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm 
Premium User

Upgraded to a Crystal Cable 'Standard Diamond' on my air bearing MG-1 with a LYRA SKALA...vast improvement all the way around!!!