Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:16 am 

Hello,

I got couple dozen of Gold Lion KT 88 few years ago. When I check it with my TV-7A/U now, quite a bit of them dead or with little life left.

So my question is, will tube just die in storage? These tubes are stored in temperature control room for a few years. Only used for less than 50 hours.
Or my TV-7a/u is dead?

Thanks ahead
Vic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:28 am 

They should last forever if they’re stored properly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 am 

Unless the vacuum is compromised, a tube will last forever in storage.

If your tube are mishandled while in storage, it could cause the internal elements to fail, especially with large triodes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 am 

It might be a good idea to try another tube tester, but if these are the Russian Gold Lions, they have a fairly high failure rate. But I wouldn't think that it would be from long term storage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 am 

Humm yes I would try another tester, mind you you have a vg one.
Life of theses tubes should be quite a while not like you explained.
The real test is in the amplifier BUT slowly ramp up B+ with a Variac, otherwise don't try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am 

viclauyyc wrote:
Hello,

I got couple dozen of Gold Lion KT 88 few years ago. When I check it with my TV-7A/U now, quite a bit of them dead or with little life left.

So my question is, will tube just die in storage? These tubes are stored in temperature control room for a few years. Only used for less than 50 hours.
Or my TV-7a/u is dead?

Thanks ahead
Vic

I got a quad of Gold Lion KT88 from thetubestore a few years ago. Used them in my amp for maybe 100 hours, never really cared for the sound so I took them out and stored them like you. About a year ago, I decided to give them another try (given all the great reviews on the net). Two had the dreaded white getters (completely dead) and the other two tested very weak.
So yes, poorly made tubes can die in storage. We probably both got the same bad batch. Funny, as I have been using the Gold Lion KT66 for the last 8 months (about 600 hours of use) and absolutely love them--rock solid bias, great sound and they still test better than new. So you just never know. Buy from a good vendor (like thetubestore) that will take them back if they croak.
I doubt there is anything wrong with your tester assuming it still tests other tubes correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 am 

White powder like substance on the getter flashing is a sign of a failed vacuum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:31 am 

Your tubes maybe fine. I would check the amp to see if there are any contributing factors to make the tubes fail when in use. Not storage. Some other hardware failure in the amp maybe contributing to its short life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am 

I think the new gold lion is not the same as the old gold lion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 pm 

MENDEL24 wrote:
We probably both got the same bad batch. Funny, as I have been using the Gold Lion KT66 for the last 8 months (about 600 hours of use) and absolutely love them--rock solid bias, great sound and they still test better than new. So you just never know. Buy from a good vendor (like thetubestore) that will take them back if they croak.
I doubt there is anything wrong with your tester assuming it still tests other tubes correctly.

I got my 24mp from Parts Connexion on Dec 2013, they are not 4 years old. When I test it after delivery, the life range very quite a bit. IP from 47 to 58. GM from 4600 to 5500. And they said it is normal...

-- 14 Dec 2017 00:10 --

analogluvr wrote:
I think the new gold lion is not the same as the old gold lion

Very different. Different country, factory, owner etc. They claimed to use same material and formula.

Also the price, NOS can be $1000us a piece, the reissue is $50.

-- 14 Dec 2017 00:14 --

brf wrote:
Unless the vacuum is compromised, a tube will last forever in storage.

If your tube are mishandled while in storage, it could cause the internal elements to fail, especially with large triodes.

They are store in my temperature basement, developed, in a box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 am 

Sounds like they were run with too high a voltage at some point in time in their life.

They will still test fine, but will go from strong to dead in an unpredictable fashion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am 

viclauyyc:
I doubt you did anything in use or storage that has contributed to the death/weakness of your GL tubes. There are many reports of failures of GL KT88 tubes since they began producing them. Any tube can fail of course, but for a batch of 24 matched pairs to preform as you are describing to me indicates a defective batch.
Why did you only use them for 50 hours and then store them (I already explained why I did so)? Even though it is several years since you bought them, I would still try to get some compensation from PartsConnexion. You spent a lot of money on tubes that were obviously defective (poor vacuum like my quad had).
Apparently the quality control on these tubes is better now but I would not take the chance. For KT88 I recommend the Preferred Series KT88 from thetubestore (formally known as the PentaLabs KT88SC).
Great sounding tubes that have been utterly reliable in my Rogue Audio amp and even come with a 6 month guarantee I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

MENDEL24 wrote:
viclauyyc:
I doubt you did anything in use or storage that has contributed to the death/weakness of your GL tubes. There are many reports of failures of GL KT88 tubes since they began producing them. Any tube can fail of course, but for a batch of 24 matched pairs to preform as you are describing to me indicates a defective batch.
Why did you only use them for 50 hours and then store them (I already explained why I did so)? Even though it is several years since you bought them, I would still try to get some compensation from PartsConnexion. You spent a lot of money on tubes that were obviously defective (poor vacuum like my quad had).
Apparently the quality control on these tubes is better now but I would not take the chance. For KT88 I recommend the Preferred Series KT88 from thetubestore (formally known as the PentaLabs KT88SC).
Great sounding tubes that have been utterly reliable in my Rogue Audio amp and even come with a 6 month guarantee I believe.

I was planning to upgrade some components, caps, connector and resistor, on a pair of Cary power amp. I was testing the tubs and the amp for function. It end up becoming neverending project.
Recently, I need to test another amp with KT88. So this is why I bring them back from storage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am 

Get out of the tube game and go back to solid state. A high quality solid state set up will out perform a tube set up any day of the week. I had a Mcintosh mc275 for 1/2 dozen years. I recently purchased a mark levinson 532h and there is no looking back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 am 

mustangmach1 wrote:
Get out of the tube game and go back to solid state. A high quality solid state set up will out perform a tube set up any day of the week. I had a Mcintosh mc275 for 1/2 dozen years. I recently purchased a mark levinson 532h and there is no looking back.

Your are entitled to your opinion (which many do not agree with), but the topic is about tubes so your opinion adds nothing to this particular thread.