Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am 

I have Canadian made speakers out of Ontario solder with silver solder and Cardas Litz wire internal,,,is this common with speakers

My speakers are FS-788

I was looking at some mid level speakers in the 3 to 4k range,had crimp connectors
Bryston middle T
Would the connection come loose over time

Attachments:
Brystom Middle T.JPG
Brystom Middle T.JPG [ 501.74 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm 

quality connectors are ok for the most part...IMO
If I do any replacement work I tend to solder them back in if I am in there anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

z28-1980--car wrote:
I have Canadian made speakers out of Ontario solder with silver solder and Cardas Litz wire internal,,,is this common with speakers

My speakers are FS-788

I was looking at some mid level speakers in the 3 to 4k range,had crimp connectors
Bryston middle T
Would the connection come loose over time

Crimp connections are used all over many industries with no problems, as long as crimps are done by trained people using required equipment and hardware, and tested after install. We have 70-year-old hardware in our vital control systems with crimp connections - wire insulation is falling off, but crimps hold just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 pm 

FWIW, NASA spec's crimp connections on space mission hardware. Soldered connections are more prone to vibration induced metal fatigue, and ultimately failure. A good crimp connection, with correctly sized connectors and crimp die's, and a calibrated crimp tool, forms what is essentially a cold welded joint. It's air tight, and rock solid.

Sadly, the hobby grade crimp tools are largely crap, and the joints they make are equally crap. So it's really going to come down to who is doing the work, and how well outfitted their shop is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
FWIW, NASA spec's crimp connections on space mission hardware. Soldered connections are more prone to vibration induced metal fatigue, and ultimately failure. A good crimp connection, with correctly sized connectors and crimp die's, and a calibrated crimp tool, forms what is essentially a cold welded joint. It's air tight, and rock solid.

Sadly, the hobby grade crimp tools are largely crap, and the joints they make are equally crap. So it's really going to come down to who is doing the work, and how well outfitted their shop is.

+1

Have a look at the back side of your B&W speaker connection plate and let us know what you find. :wink:

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:07 pm 
Premium User

I have read and heard both sides of this argument for years... Solution... After the Crimp I solder.. lol Then Everyone is happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm 

It really doesn't matter which methods are employed whether it's crimping, soldering and or gluing to connect the cables inside the speaker what really matter most is that they're done properly.

Last edited by tube54 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 pm 

So, let me get this straight; you might spend 4 grand on speakers and you're asking about the driver connections? Why?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 am 

Seems to me the OP is just curious and wants to know if there are any benefits to one connection vs the other. Valid question.

Z28 – as others have mentioned, as long as both connections are done properly, there should be no sonic benefits between the 2. Although one can argue that with the crimp/press on connection, assembly, quality control and repairs can be made easier. Especially from a consumers point of view, for it is a lot easier for a user to replace a damaged driver with press on connections should he/she not possess the skillset needed to de-solder and solder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 am 

Thanks for the answer
Will be buying the Bryston middle T speakers as a backup ,second speaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 am 

kawihornet wrote:
I have read and heard both sides of this argument for years... Solution... After the Crimp I solder.. lol Then Everyone is happy

If you are soldering the crimps on the wires then that's fine. I have seen crimps connected in place and then soldered together by DIY'ers, which becomes a nightmare to take apart for servicing later.