Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 3383
Location: NL
I have Canadian made speakers out of Ontario solder with silver solder and Cardas Litz wire internal,,,is this common with speakers

My speakers are FS-788

I was looking at some mid level speakers in the 3 to 4k range,had crimp connectors
Bryston middle T
Would the connection come loose over time


Attachments:
Brystom Middle T.JPG
Brystom Middle T.JPG [ 501.74 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:17 am
Posts: 944
Location: Fergus, ON, CA
quality connectors are ok for the most part...IMO
If I do any replacement work I tend to solder them back in if I am in there anyway.

_________________
"People get ready, there's a train a comin'...."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 1729
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
z28-1980--car wrote:
I have Canadian made speakers out of Ontario solder with silver solder and Cardas Litz wire internal,,,is this common with speakers

My speakers are FS-788

I was looking at some mid level speakers in the 3 to 4k range,had crimp connectors
Bryston middle T
Would the connection come loose over time


Crimp connections are used all over many industries with no problems, as long as crimps are done by trained people using required equipment and hardware, and tested after install. We have 70-year-old hardware in our vital control systems with crimp connections - wire insulation is falling off, but crimps hold just fine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:43 pm
Posts: 709
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
FWIW, NASA spec's crimp connections on space mission hardware. Soldered connections are more prone to vibration induced metal fatigue, and ultimately failure. A good crimp connection, with correctly sized connectors and crimp die's, and a calibrated crimp tool, forms what is essentially a cold welded joint. It's air tight, and rock solid.

Sadly, the hobby grade crimp tools are largely crap, and the joints they make are equally crap. So it's really going to come down to who is doing the work, and how well outfitted their shop is.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:49 am
Posts: 1928
Location: Fairport Beach (in Pickering), ON, CA
dcrooks wrote:
FWIW, NASA spec's crimp connections on space mission hardware. Soldered connections are more prone to vibration induced metal fatigue, and ultimately failure. A good crimp connection, with correctly sized connectors and crimp die's, and a calibrated crimp tool, forms what is essentially a cold welded joint. It's air tight, and rock solid.

Sadly, the hobby grade crimp tools are largely crap, and the joints they make are equally crap. So it's really going to come down to who is doing the work, and how well outfitted their shop is.


+1

Have a look at the back side of your B&W speaker connection plate and let us know what you find. :wink:

_________________
Tom

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:07 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:01 pm
Posts: 363
Location: CAMBRIDGE, ON, CA
I have read and heard both sides of this argument for years... Solution... After the Crimp I solder.. lol Then Everyone is happy

_________________
8) My View of me - Audiophile on a mission!!!
:roll: Wife's View of me - Audiophile on a budget!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:01 pm
Posts: 1223
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
It really doesn't matter which methods are employed whether it's crimping, soldering and or gluing to connect the cables inside the speaker what really matter most is that they're done properly.


Last edited by tube54 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 pm
Posts: 429
Location: Coquitlam, BC, CA
So, let me get this straight; you might spend 4 grand on speakers and you're asking about the driver connections? Why?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Seems to me the OP is just curious and wants to know if there are any benefits to one connection vs the other. Valid question.

Z28 – as others have mentioned, as long as both connections are done properly, there should be no sonic benefits between the 2. Although one can argue that with the crimp/press on connection, assembly, quality control and repairs can be made easier. Especially from a consumers point of view, for it is a lot easier for a user to replace a damaged driver with press on connections should he/she not possess the skillset needed to de-solder and solder.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 3383
Location: NL
Thanks for the answer
Will be buying the Bryston middle T speakers as a backup ,second speaker


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 1514
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
kawihornet wrote:
I have read and heard both sides of this argument for years... Solution... After the Crimp I solder.. lol Then Everyone is happy

If you are soldering the crimps on the wires then that's fine. I have seen crimps connected in place and then soldered together by DIY'ers, which becomes a nightmare to take apart for servicing later.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canucklehead98, Google [Bot], Reckoner and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group