Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shops still buying CD?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 am 

I’m going purely vinyl and want to trade my cd collection for vinyl if possible. Anyone know of a shop in Toronto still buying CDs?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:27 am 

Sonic Boom?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am 
Premium User

Sonic Boom does indeed buy/trade CD's...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am 

My experience is that the only record store in Toronto that will still give you a decent cd value for cash or trade for lp's is Jim at Discovery Records on Queen St. East.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 pm 

Unfortunately the pickings are slim these days and what remaining stores that still do buy used cds don't always give the best prices. Vortex was the best IMO. They paid almost 50% of retail but they were picky.

Of those left, I've only sold to Sonic Boom but they had a much bigger cd section back then. Still, they paid little. They basically check cds against their database, see what sells and what they still have in stock and then pay based on what their system says to pay.

Paramusic paramusictoronto.com by Y&D square has used cds. But I've been told he pays little. No idea how little but this came from a long time customer.

Neurotica Records on College has used cds. Never sold to them before so I have no idea how much they pay. But worth a shot.

Some others BMV Books (a few locations), She Said Boom (two locations, Pandemonium (The Junction), Dead Dog Records (newish, two locations)

Some general comments...

If you have anything rare and expensive consider selling them yourself online.

Stores are far more picky than they used to be so expect to go home with some of your cds. How many will depend on the quality of the titles. I once saw a guy try and sell his mostly 90's era cds. He had about 300 and the shop took 4.

As a result, you might have to visit a few stores to whittle down that collection. But it really depends on what you have. If you show up with a great deal of easy to sell and in demand titles that will not be a problem. If you have all Billboard top 40 cds from the 1990's expect to bring those back home. :)

I'd consider selling them as a job lot yourself via a Kajiji ad. This could attract collectors looking to add to their collection of professional resellers. You'll need to price them attractively and do it as a no picking all or nothing deal. I did that awhile back and unloaded 2000+ cds very quickly. I listed them at 230 and the buyer was driving away by 4pm. But I priced them at $500 to sell quickly. I probably could've got more if I wanted to wait but I needed them gone quickly.

You could start at say $1 a cd and take it from there. Accept offers and keep lowering the price per cd until they sell.

I want to trim my cd collection down and rather than going to a store I've decided to make a pile of 200-300 cds and then sell those as a job lot. I really can't be bothered to lug these around town in the hopes that someone buys them.

CDs are a hard sale these days but good luck. Post back in this thread once you do sell them. It'll be a good to see what stores are paying these days.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm 

Have you a list of your cd's and what genre of vinyl are you looking to acquire?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 am 

Dixie Records in The Dixie Value Mall
Flea Market on Weekends

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 am 

Deja Vu Discs in Kennedy Commons.

Kennedy and 401.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 am 

PCV Records in Oakville.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am 

natalie wrote:
Dixie Records in The Dixie Value Mall
Flea Market on Weekends

Not anymore. Don is not buying any cds for the rest of the year. He's only buying vinyl.

In addition, he's retiring earlyish next year. Which is very sad for us but great for him.

Not sure how his retiring decision will impact his cd buying. But he said he's going to start his boxing day sale in mid December to help move cds out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am 

I know The Beat Goes On (Upper James, Hamilton) buys and sells. They have his handy machine that sands off most scratches. Drop one in the top and out it soon comes - pristine!