Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 am 

Hello, I bought a set of B&W 905 second hand through CAM many years ago I'm glad to see it's still going strong.

I have a 2910 which won't recognize SACDs anymore which is my main use for the player. I love the sound and I am contemplating repairing it ($70 diagnosis fee + parts IF available), picking up a replacement (2 are listed for $100 and $275 on CAM). I am also thinking about perhaps picking up an Oppo Bluray to replace my cheap Samsung Bluray and the Denon with one unit while retaining the high quality sound of the Denon.

I am googling whether an Oppo would give me the same or better quality DACs over the Denon. I am using the 5 channel analog output from the Denon to feed my preamp. There are two Oppo BDP-83 currently for sale one of them is the special edition with the upgraded DACs which may be up my alley, however, $400 is over my budget and I would need to confirm if the extra $$ is worth it in sound quality.

I understand the Denon was about $1000 new and the BDP-83se was similarly priced though it's a newer unit so judging by price alone the two should be in the same league.

I also need to look into whether my processor does any digital processing of the analog input signal that might negate the high quality of the 83 special edition's DACs. I have the Emotiva LMC-1 going through a Rotel RMB-1075.

First hand experience with both units would be greatly appreciated.

Reagards and TIA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:30 am 

I know I am being redundant, but the Yamaha BDA 1060 Blue-Ray player has it all you need including SACD for $ 350.00 tax-in at most places.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 pm 

Unfortunately it does not have 5 channel pre-outs. My LMC-1 does not have HDMI. The Yamaha website does not mention what type of DAC it has which tells me it's not up to par with the burr-brown/ess sabre DACs in the Denon/Oppo players.

So far I have found that the Denon 2900 has better DACs than my 2910 and there is one for sale as well but it does not come with the remote. I wonder if the 2910 remote would work with it though.

As I write this I just thought of something else. The only thing I'm missing with my processor is hi-res bluray aduio which I believe I would be able to get through the Oppo which would give a new lease on life to my LMC-1. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm 

I have 2 of the Denon 2910 players,and one of them stopped reading CD`s as well as SACDs but with a simple adjustment it Now plays both of them without Any problems.
You should give this a try before making any decisions on other purchases,This video is for the Denon 2930 but it is exactly the same for the 2910.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFmxN6Vl1I&t=121s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Hello, I bought a set of B&W 905 second hand through CAM many years ago I'm glad to see it's still going strong.

I have a 2910 which won't recognize SACDs anymore which is my main use for the player. I love the sound and I am contemplating repairing it ($70 diagnosis fee + parts IF available), picking up a replacement (2 are listed for $100 and $275 on CAM). I am also thinking about perhaps picking up an Oppo Bluray to replace my cheap Samsung Bluray and the Denon with one unit while retaining the high quality sound of the Denon.

I am googling whether an Oppo would give me the same or better quality DACs over the Denon. I am using the 5 channel analog output from the Denon to feed my preamp. There are two Oppo BDP-83 currently for sale one of them is the special edition with the upgraded DACs which may be up my alley, however, $400 is over my budget and I would need to confirm if the extra $$ is worth it in sound quality.

I understand the Denon was about $1000 new and the BDP-83se was similarly priced though it's a newer unit so judging by price alone the two should be in the same league.

I also need to look into whether my processor does any digital processing of the analog input signal that might negate the high quality of the 83 special edition's DACs. I have the Emotiva LMC-1 going through a Rotel RMB-1075.

First hand experience with both units would be greatly appreciated.

Reagards and TIA

The Denon DVD 3910 of course if you can find one in excellent working condition. http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-review/dvd-3910-listening-evaluation-and-conclusion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 pm 

joseph49 wrote:
I have 2 of the Denon 2910 players,and one of them stopped reading CD`s as well as SACDs but with a simple adjustment it Now plays both of them without Any problems.
You should give this a try before making any decisions on other purchases,This video is for the Denon 2930 but it is exactly the same for the 2910.

Thanks for the tip and the link. It's definitely worth a shot. I asked at a service center once if it was possible to clean the lens or perhaps simply remove dust but I was told it was not serviceable like that. When I got the quote today I was told the whole cd "player" would have to be replaced.

Do you mind me asking why you have two? Just for parts?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

tube54 wrote:

Of course! :D

There was one for $280 a few months back. Currently I saw the dvd-2900 for $200 which is also considered above the 2910. Though it doesn't have a remote but mine may work with it. The question is how do these compare to the oppo bdp-83 and the special edition. I kind of like the idea of consolidating my bluray player and sacd player into one box and with the new oppo 4k players out the 83se is two generations old which means their price should drop to a couple of hundred bucks.

I will try the joseph49's tweak and go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:21 pm 

Could Milag please indicate where you can get the Yamaha for about $350. Only found it at list from a quick internet search. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:42 pm 

Ok so I have been trying out sacds and the only dvd-a I have to see if they played. In the past one played briefly and the others didn't. The weird thing is that the player plays normal CDs no problem but it will not recognize the CD layer of the SACDs. The Dire Straits 20th anniversary Brothers in Arms disc will only recognize the CD layer if I tilt the player. After that I tried propping up different corners to no avail. My Bluray player plays the CD layer of all the SACDs I tried.

-- 09 Dec 2017 02:43 --

Smith wrote:
Could Milag please indicate where you can get the Yamaha for about $350. Only found it at list from a quick internet search. Thanks

When I searched for it I found it on Vision's site for around that price. You can negotiate a bit to get it with taxes in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
joseph49 wrote:

Thanks for the tip and the link. It's definitely worth a shot. I asked at a service center once if it was possible to clean the lens or perhaps simply remove dust but I was told it was not serviceable like that. When I got the quote today I was told the whole cd "player" would have to be replaced.

Do you mind me asking why you have two? Just for parts?

I got such a Good deal on a second one that I decided to purchase it just for a backup,but have not had to use it yet.
It sounds like the service center is looking for some $ because it is Very easy to clean the lens with just a Q tip with a bit of alcohol (just have to remove the cover over the lens,also shown in the videos)

When making the adjustments as shown in the video make sure you keep track of how much you turn each screw from one side to the other,so you can go back to the original position if needed,also the adjustments are very sensitive so only do very small amounts at a time

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 pm 

Wow you must really like its sound then. I like it as well as it's a good combo with the Rotel and B&W; that's why I'd be nervous to try the Oppo.

I just finished watching the videos and it's interesting that this seems to be a chronic problem as he had the laser pickup replaced under warranty within a year and it failed again soon after.

It's getting late tonight and won't have time tomorrow to do this. I will also have to find an allen key first. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm 

Smith wrote:

Yamaha is tight on advertised price, so the $ 350.00 is considered the new full list retail. I purchased mine at a brick and mortar store near Quebec City for $350.00 all in. Someone here suggested he paid even less, at $329 cnd which is a great deal since the U.S. pricing is around $ 599 on amazon.

GeorgeH: your comment "The Yamaha website does not mention what type of DAC it has which tells me it's not up to par with the burr-brown/ess sabre DACs in the Denon/Oppo players."

To my ears the Yamaha is not outclassed at all by the Oppo 105. I did keep my 105 in my audio rack for a full month before selling it here on CAM.

Because you don't know what Dac is inside the Yammy, it does not make it automatically inferior. And as always implementation is key. Yamaha is in the ballpark sonically speaking at 1/6 the price...you might want to do some homework with at least some hands-on experience next time...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 am 

Thanks Milag. Can I assume that if I want to use it ( at least for now ) for CD and SACD playback I can do so by only using the remote ( or front panel ) and not connecting a TV to search the menu?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:30 am 

Hi George,

I know your Denon DVD-2910 very well. My brother had one for years, and then it was in my mother's system for a few years as well. I myself, happily owned the Denon DVD-2900 for 8 years.

Despite the specs on paper, there is not a big difference between the two Denon players. Unless you had the two players in your system at the same time, the difference between the two might not be that obvious. The DVD-2910 was released a year or two after the 2900. I suspect it was further developed and refined, to offer similar performance to the 2900 at a lower price point.

If you are looking for alternatives, I suggest the Cambridge Audio Universal players. I have owned the 650BD, and now the 752BD. My brother owns the 651BD. The 650BD, 651BD, and even more so the 752BD, are better than both Denons. The Cambridge Audio's are more musical and rhythmic than the Denons, while having at least as much detail. The three players I mentioned from CA also have 7.1 analog outputs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 am 

Smith wrote:
Thanks Milag. Can I assume that if I want to use it ( at least for now ) for CD and SACD playback I can do so by only using the remote ( or front panel ) and not connecting a TV to search the menu?

Yes, just use it as a standard CD player !