Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:20 am
Posts: 15
Location: Nanaimo, BC, CA
Niel Young has set up a high res streaming site http://neilyoungarchives.com check it out


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am
Posts: 725
Location: Courtenay, BC, CA
Nice - listening on computer at work :D
Thnks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 3054
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
WillyL wrote:
Niel Young has set up a high res streaming site http://neilyoungarchives.com check it out


Yes but unfortunately not for mobil phone users.
Wonder why?

_________________
"Switch on summer from a slot machine...
Yes get what you want cuz you can get anything..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.

_________________
Use Linux, Be Cool and Be Smart


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered.

-- Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm --

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
WillyL wrote:
Niel Young has set up a high res streaming site http://neilyoungarchives.com check it out


Yes but unfortunately not for mobil phone users.
Wonder why?


Chip…I am not a Neil Young fan so not willing to try this for myself but I am going to assume this streams through a web browser. Set you mobile browser to Desktop view and give it another try. Might work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered..


I wish things were that secure. Every site you visit has access to your IP unless you use something like a proxy. That way they web server knows where to send the web page. Refer to attached link:

https://www.whatismyip.com/

_________________
Use Linux, Be Cool and Be Smart


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Bayfield, ON, CA
Neil can have my coordinates anytime no problem.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
Weirdness wrote:
Neil can have my coordinates anytime no problem.


Bayfield! Nice place to spend some lazy weeks.

_________________
Use Linux, Be Cool and Be Smart


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Audio_Guy wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered..


I wish things were that secure. Every site you visit has access to your IP unless you use something like a proxy. That way they web server knows where to send the web page. Refer to attached link:

https://www.whatismyip.com/


Whatsmyip displays the IP address your ISP gave you. This will be renewed. Check it in a week or 2 or possibly in a month (depending on the renewal schedule) and it will be different.

A proxy can give you a certain amount of anonymity, but a well configured website can still get passed a proxy. HBO and Amazon catches all kinds of users torrenting their content from behind proxies. The question is….why should a web site go through that much trouble? What gain does Neil Young have by obtaining your IP address that will change every other week? Sure they can spam your inbox – but that is why you use a different email address. But outside of that, what are they going to do?

TBH, the place you order pizza from online is most likely more dangerous. Lax security policies along with stored personal information is a welcome mat for clever individuals to social engineer their way into your digital life. Or how bout Equifax….that’s a big one!! The information obtained from that hack can seriously f***up someones life! Proxy or no proxy will not save you from identity theft.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:39 am
Posts: 76
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Really, that's your complaint? So in that case as I'm sure you're aware, Google, Amazon, Azure, MSN, etc etc etc <add any site you use here> is not free. Which I agree is true but is nothing unique about this.

Unless you spend your life using a Tor Browser and VPN's (which by the way only encrypt the last mile) this is simply the state of affairs in 2017.

There are many reason's across many perspectives to bash Neil, but to have an artist open up their entire personal licence for free (at a high quality), even if it's obviously but very transparently, an effort to get paid subscriptions then all the power to them.

If anything the real question this approach brings to the table is: if all artist take this approach, then do we morph into a model where we have to actually individually subscribe (and pay) to each of the artists we like? I enjoy my music in all forms, LP, CD, FLAC, streaming etc... but I'll be honest the streaming is amazing for discovering and sampling things....if everyone goes to their own walled castle we as consumers I'm afraid will suffer, and will limit exploration.

Enjoy it (or not) for what it is.

No Disrespect.

Deep

Audio_Guy wrote:
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:29 pm
Posts: 696
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Quote:
If anything the real question this approach brings to the table is: if all artist take this approach, then do we morph into a model where we have to actually individually subscribe (and pay) to each of the artists we like? I enjoy my music in all forms, LP, CD, FLAC, streaming etc... but I'll be honest the streaming is amazing for discovering and sampling things....if everyone goes to their own walled castle we as consumers I'm afraid will suffer, and will limit exploration.



i agree. the record companies were famously often terrible. But the aftermath featuring no structure at all and the nomalization of theft is way worse for both artists and consumers. Bands that should now be kicking up their heels have to tour like animals to pay the bills, and customers face an increasingly fractured and inconstent marketplace.

i listened to that idiot who invented bitcoin ramble about the lack of accountability in financial institutions, and while i dont disagree, the answer isnt a system with no accountability at all. Similarly this is not more free, in many ways its less.

(i cant credibly criticize anyone else for rambling though.. :oops: )

anyway neil has given me a ton over the years and im grateful, and ive given my email address to far worse. ill have a listen and take my chances, and thank you for the heads up!


Last edited by phowell1 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
So what if they have some basic info on you such as your e-mail address - it's not like they've installed a keystroke logger in your computer - this is a great endevour and well designed website. Check it out. Thanks Neil!

_________________
"Im...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective" - Bill Evans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:39 am
Posts: 76
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
What he said.

It is a cool site and you can never fault someone for trying to deliver hi-quality digital audio to us plebes.


Deep


shawnwes wrote:
So what if they have some basic info on you such as your e-mail address - it's not like they've installed a keystroke logger in your computer - this is a great endevour and well designed website. Check it out. Thanks Neil!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Posts: 2447
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Very cool website. The streaming is awesome and you use the slider on the bottom of the page to select the era or year in Neil's history. I'm listening to Tell Me Why in high res and the sound quality is excellent. I also have some of Neil's vinyl reissues which are some of the best in terms of quality and mastering I have heard.

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't auto play the next track in order. You need to click play to continue with whichever track you want to hear. It's all on this site including his Buffalo Springfield days and yes, even Trans. :lol: Classic Neil for sure.


-- 07 Dec 2017 07:44 --

deepreel wrote:
Really, that's your complaint? So in that case as I'm sure you're aware, Google, Amazon, Azure, MSN, etc etc etc <add any site you use here> is not free. Which I agree is true but is nothing unique about this.

Unless you spend your life using a Tor Browser and VPN's (which by the way only encrypt the last mile) this is simply the state of affairs in 2017.

There are many reason's across many perspectives to bash Neil, but to have an artist open up their entire personal licence for free (at a high quality), even if it's obviously but very transparently, an effort to get paid subscriptions then all the power to them.

If anything the real question this approach brings to the table is: if all artist take this approach, then do we morph into a model where we have to actually individually subscribe (and pay) to each of the artists we like? I enjoy my music in all forms, LP, CD, FLAC, streaming etc... but I'll be honest the streaming is amazing for discovering and sampling things....if everyone goes to their own walled castle we as consumers I'm afraid will suffer, and will limit exploration.

Enjoy it (or not) for what it is.

No Disrespect.

Deep

Audio_Guy wrote:
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.


I don't see any other artists giving someone free high quality (the best possible) HD streaming of their entire catalogue on a free trial. Yeah it ends in June 2018. That's a long trial. Although you will notice some tracks you can only buy so the entire catalogue is not free but most of it stream only, no free downloads which is no surprise.

My only complaint is that it doesn't auto play the next track. I guess that's because there is some options like whether to buy it on Amazon or just stream for free. This is clever marketing since many will hear some of Neil's music they have never heard or heard of. They will like most of it and want to either buy it right on the site or maybe buy the vinyl and CD reissues, Either way Neil is promoting his entire catalogue in a way that has never been done before. I think only since Radio Head gave away their entire album In Rainbows (with the option to donate), has this sort of music free bee been offered.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:29 pm
Posts: 696
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Thats very cool, I must check it out.

Radiohead took a bath on that experiment, I hope Neil figures out the way to offer us great quality and still get his due.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group