Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am 

Niel Young has set up a high res streaming site http://neilyoungarchives.com check it out

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am 

Nice - listening on computer at work :D
Thnks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm 

WillyL wrote:
Niel Young has set up a high res streaming site http://neilyoungarchives.com check it out

Yes but unfortunately not for mobil phone users.
Wonder why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered.

-- Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm --

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
WillyL wrote:

Yes but unfortunately not for mobil phone users.
Wonder why?

Chip…I am not a Neil Young fan so not willing to try this for myself but I am going to assume this streams through a web browser. Set you mobile browser to Desktop view and give it another try. Might work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered..

I wish things were that secure. Every site you visit has access to your IP unless you use something like a proxy. That way they web server knows where to send the web page. Refer to attached link:

https://www.whatismyip.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm 

Neil can have my coordinates anytime no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm 

Weirdness wrote:
Neil can have my coordinates anytime no problem.

Bayfield! Nice place to spend some lazy weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Email address….a free disposable one can easily be obtained. The IP address belongs to your ISP which will get renewed giving you a new IP address within a said amount of time. Unless you are paying for a static address. ISP are not allowed to give personal information unless court ordered..

I wish things were that secure. Every site you visit has access to your IP unless you use something like a proxy. That way they web server knows where to send the web page. Refer to attached link:

https://www.whatismyip.com/

Whatsmyip displays the IP address your ISP gave you. This will be renewed. Check it in a week or 2 or possibly in a month (depending on the renewal schedule) and it will be different.

A proxy can give you a certain amount of anonymity, but a well configured website can still get passed a proxy. HBO and Amazon catches all kinds of users torrenting their content from behind proxies. The question is….why should a web site go through that much trouble? What gain does Neil Young have by obtaining your IP address that will change every other week? Sure they can spam your inbox – but that is why you use a different email address. But outside of that, what are they going to do?

TBH, the place you order pizza from online is most likely more dangerous. Lax security policies along with stored personal information is a welcome mat for clever individuals to social engineer their way into your digital life. Or how bout Equifax….that’s a big one!! The information obtained from that hack can seriously f***up someones life! Proxy or no proxy will not save you from identity theft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:36 pm 

Really, that's your complaint? So in that case as I'm sure you're aware, Google, Amazon, Azure, MSN, etc etc etc <add any site you use here> is not free. Which I agree is true but is nothing unique about this.

Unless you spend your life using a Tor Browser and VPN's (which by the way only encrypt the last mile) this is simply the state of affairs in 2017.

There are many reason's across many perspectives to bash Neil, but to have an artist open up their entire personal licence for free (at a high quality), even if it's obviously but very transparently, an effort to get paid subscriptions then all the power to them.

If anything the real question this approach brings to the table is: if all artist take this approach, then do we morph into a model where we have to actually individually subscribe (and pay) to each of the artists we like? I enjoy my music in all forms, LP, CD, FLAC, streaming etc... but I'll be honest the streaming is amazing for discovering and sampling things....if everyone goes to their own walled castle we as consumers I'm afraid will suffer, and will limit exploration.

Enjoy it (or not) for what it is.

No Disrespect.

Deep

Audio_Guy wrote:
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm 

Quote:
If anything the real question this approach brings to the table is: if all artist take this approach, then do we morph into a model where we have to actually individually subscribe (and pay) to each of the artists we like? I enjoy my music in all forms, LP, CD, FLAC, streaming etc... but I'll be honest the streaming is amazing for discovering and sampling things....if everyone goes to their own walled castle we as consumers I'm afraid will suffer, and will limit exploration.

i agree. the record companies were famously often terrible. But the aftermath featuring no structure at all and the nomalization of theft is way worse for both artists and consumers. Bands that should now be kicking up their heels have to tour like animals to pay the bills, and customers face an increasingly fractured and inconstent marketplace.

i listened to that idiot who invented bitcoin ramble about the lack of accountability in financial institutions, and while i dont disagree, the answer isnt a system with no accountability at all. Similarly this is not more free, in many ways its less.

(i cant credibly criticize anyone else for rambling though.. :oops: )

anyway neil has given me a ton over the years and im grateful, and ive given my email address to far worse. ill have a listen and take my chances, and thank you for the heads up!

Last edited by phowell1 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 pm 

So what if they have some basic info on you such as your e-mail address - it's not like they've installed a keystroke logger in your computer - this is a great endevour and well designed website. Check it out. Thanks Neil!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 am 

What he said.

It is a cool site and you can never fault someone for trying to deliver hi-quality digital audio to us plebes.

Deep

shawnwes wrote:
So what if they have some basic info on you such as your e-mail address - it's not like they've installed a keystroke logger in your computer - this is a great endevour and well designed website. Check it out. Thanks Neil!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 am 

Very cool website. The streaming is awesome and you use the slider on the bottom of the page to select the era or year in Neil's history. I'm listening to Tell Me Why in high res and the sound quality is excellent. I also have some of Neil's vinyl reissues which are some of the best in terms of quality and mastering I have heard.

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't auto play the next track in order. You need to click play to continue with whichever track you want to hear. It's all on this site including his Buffalo Springfield days and yes, even Trans. :lol: Classic Neil for sure.

-- 07 Dec 2017 07:44 --

deepreel wrote:
Really, that's your complaint? So in that case as I'm sure you're aware, Google, Amazon, Azure, MSN, etc etc etc <add any site you use here> is not free. Which I agree is true but is nothing unique about this.

Unless you spend your life using a Tor Browser and VPN's (which by the way only encrypt the last mile) this is simply the state of affairs in 2017.

There are many reason's across many perspectives to bash Neil, but to have an artist open up their entire personal licence for free (at a high quality), even if it's obviously but very transparently, an effort to get paid subscriptions then all the power to them.

Enjoy it (or not) for what it is.

No Disrespect.

Deep

Audio_Guy wrote:

I don't see any other artists giving someone free high quality (the best possible) HD streaming of their entire catalogue on a free trial. Yeah it ends in June 2018. That's a long trial. Although you will notice some tracks you can only buy so the entire catalogue is not free but most of it stream only, no free downloads which is no surprise.

My only complaint is that it doesn't auto play the next track. I guess that's because there is some options like whether to buy it on Amazon or just stream for free. This is clever marketing since many will hear some of Neil's music they have never heard or heard of. They will like most of it and want to either buy it right on the site or maybe buy the vinyl and CD reissues, Either way Neil is promoting his entire catalogue in a way that has never been done before. I think only since Radio Head gave away their entire album In Rainbows (with the option to donate), has this sort of music free bee been offered.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am 

Thats very cool, I must check it out.

Radiohead took a bath on that experiment, I hope Neil figures out the way to offer us great quality and still get his due.