Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 am 

I'm looking for suggestions for a set of floor standing speakers to match up to my Luxman R-1070 receiver. I am starting to listen to vinyl again. My tastes in music are varied. If I'm being picky... I like wood veneer vs black ash finished cabinets. The room is approximately 15x 26 feet. Thanking you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm 

I'd suggest that you consider most ANY British made speaker system to match the Luxman.
I would also venture to say that even some older (used) British speakers will work well if you can find a decent deal.

- Would you consider augmenting the speaker system with a powered subwoofer?
- Do you prefer a tower speaker or book shelf type?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm 

I prefer a tower speaker to a bookshelf speaker. I haven't put any thought to a powered subwoofer. Its funny that you mentioned British made speakers as I bought a pair of B&W matrix 804's but I haven't hooked them up to the receiver. So far I've only attached them to my Realistic Optimus 5b's. Is the Luxman's 75 watts enough for the 804's. Thanks for your response as I am very green to this new hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm 

The Luxman should drive the B&W 804's no problem..., more power wouldn't hurt but..,
I recall their efficiency was just under 90dB, and that any receiver with a minimum of 50W/ch will drive them.
A Subwoofer (raised off the floor) will help for those moments that you feel the need for more oomph, because of the great sound quality, I'd also be tempted to Bi-Wire the 804's, using fine multi-strand speaker cable, 14AWG to the bass driver and 16-18 AWG to the tweeter.
Nice combination IMO.
Enjoy !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm 

I was going to bi wire the 804's as the manual suggests. I don't recall any differentiation as to wire gauge in the manual, but I will take your advice. If it all turns out I will save some money as I was intending to buy another receiver for the B&W 804's like a Sansui G-8000 or G-9000 with a little more power... Can you suggest a couple of brands or models of powered subwoofers? Thank you for your great advice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 pm 

Eli47 wrote:
The Luxman should drive the B&W 804's no problem..., more power wouldn't hurt but..,
I recall their efficiency was just under 90dB, and that any receiver with a minimum of 50W/ch will drive them.
A Subwoofer (raised off the floor) will help for those moments that you feel the need for more oomph, because of the great sound quality, I'd also be tempted to Bi-Wire the 804's, using fine multi-strand speaker cable, 14AWG to the bass driver and 16-18 AWG to the tweeter.
Nice combination IMO.
Enjoy !

Why the difference in gauges? Those that promote Bi-wire (Vandersteen as an example) state the same wire should be used.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm 

Deluxe20 wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for a set of floor standing speakers to match up to my Luxman R-1070 receiver. I am starting to listen to vinyl again. My tastes in music are varied. If I'm being picky... I like wood veneer vs black ash finished cabinets. The room is approximately 15x 26 feet. Thanking you in advance.

For budget speakers Kef 104 AB, Celestion Ditton 33, Celestion SL6 S, JBL L36. I am referring mostly to vintage speakers. Yes, your R1070 can drive the B&W 804's. I have a pair of B&W DM2A transmission line speakers that I know sound great with a Luxman R 10 series receiver. The DM 2 MK II were also pretty good back in the day. The DM7 MKII might need a little more power than your 1070. My Bryston 3B NPB would drives those nicely.

You could also try Magneplanar SMGa speakers. I owned a pair of Totem Arro's which I also liked. ON the cheap, a pair of Dynaco A35 on target spiked stands would be worth using until you find what your after.

That 1070 of yours peaks at over 85 watts. I know that receiver well and have owned the R1050 and other Luxman gear. Planar speakers can be very open transparent sounding with a big sound stage. Depending on the room, a sub woofer might be required. If you can find one of the older M&K subs from the 1970's like the Goliath, they would sound great with the Maggies. However, even with the relatively high Luman current output which is more what drives the Maggies than the watts (Amps X Volts), using a sub might be pushing it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:31 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Eli47 wrote:
Nice combination IMO.
Enjoy !

Why the difference in gauges? Those that promote Bi-wire (Vandersteen as an example) state the same wire should be used.

Great question !
I found that using the same gauge makes no substantial difference to the sound.
Noting that High frequencies don't need much power and are also "muted" somewhat when using heavy gauge cable, a thinner gauge seems to work better for treble, and vice versa for the low end, which must have lots of power, ergo a thicker gauge is needed.
Try it, let me know what you think.

As for a recommended powered subwoofer. Try to get something no bigger than a 10". Hopefully it will have high-level (speaker level) inputs, which will allow you to connect the Luxman through the speaker outputs of the receiver.
Ideally, I might suggest something like a sealed cabinet with a passive driver such as the Definitive Technology Super Cube series such as the SUPERCUBE 6000 .
But.., as most subwoofers are ported, get one with as much power as you can, this will help bring to life those moments in a movie when you feel that foreboding rolling rumble of thunder in the background, telling you that an ominous scene is coming up. Velodyne is also a nice choice. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:10 pm 

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions... Kef 104 AB, Celestion Ditton 33, and JBL L36 all seem to have a look that I like... now its all about looking at reviews and specs. I just don't know enough about electrostatic speakers to dive into that pool at this point. If you had to choose one of the three, which would you choose?

I have a pair of Definitive Speakers that are connected to my home theater and have been happy with them... no subwoofer though. The supercube 6000 could be used in a couple of areas of the house which is a huge plus.

I have a feeling that this will all end with having too many speakers in the house... not necessarily a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 pm 

got to love the Propaganda bs from cable manufacturers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 am 

Deluxe20 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions... Kef 104 AB, Celestion Ditton 33, and JBL L36 all seem to have a look that I like... now its all about looking at reviews and specs. I just don't know enough about electrostatic speakers to dive into that pool at this point. If you had to choose one of the three, which would you choose?

I have a pair of Definitive Speakers that are connected to my home theater and have been happy with them... no subwoofer though. The supercube 6000 could be used in a couple of areas of the house which is a huge plus.

I have a feeling that this will all end with having too many speakers in the house... not necessarily a bad thing.

The bargoons are the 104 AB and the Celestion Ditton 33.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 am 

Your Luxman will sound sweet with these puppies: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649396695-tannoy-prestige-kensington-se-with-st200-supertweeters-mahogany-finish-no-tax-reduced-to-sell/

Sensitivity: 93 dB
Freq. Range: 29Hz - 27kHz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 am 

NordicNorm wrote:

My guess is there will be many amplifiers that would sound sweet with a pair of $20k Tannoy’s. Nice speakers!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:22 am 

My appologies. I should probably have set a budget. I cannot spend more on speakers than I would spend on a vacation. The tannoys are beautiful, but I should keep my cost on a used set of speakers to under 1000.00 unless Its a little more and too good to pass up. Im just begginning to assemble a better system... My realistic system from the 80's was great for the budget of a 17 year old. I always wanted a Luxman receiver and now have one. Sadly I still cant justify the expense of a mcintosh amp and preamp.

PS The definitive supercube 6000 is looking good to accompany a set of speakers. Keep the suggestions coming as Im enjoying the responses I'm getting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:54 am 

I find it difficult to recommend components for my tastes will be different from the next fella’s - and in the end, it has to please you, not me. But if you are looking for a inexpensive floor stand speaker with a real wood veneer finish, Castle and Monitor Audio (Silver line) come to mind. I’m sure others will chime in with more options.