Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:18 am 

I'm looking for a pair of speakers who could fill my large room (open space apartment - living room + dining room + kitchen, approx 700 sq feet). Right now I have Sonus Faber Toy Tower ... it doesn't work at all, I have absolutely no bass. I listen mostly to jazz, baroque, classic rock and indie rock/pop.

I tend to prefer smooth/warm speakers. Also, I usually listen at low level at night (around 75 db)

My amp : Exposure 3010S2

Any suggestions ? Monitor Audio Silver 8 or 10 ? Focal Aria 936 or 948 ?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 am 

It really depends on a lot of things. How far away are you sitting from the speakers? Is it completely open or are there partial walls? Are these for putting on and walking around listening as you do things or for dedicated listening. In any case I don’t think your listening area is that huge. You could climb up the Sonus Faber line if you like the sound. They are beautiful sounding and looking speakers. I owned Cremona m floorstanders and they filled my 600 sq.ft. Vaulted ceiling room nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 am 

Hi,

I heard the MA Silvers at TAVES 2017 and they sounded pretty good with Roksan gear which is similar in sonic signature to Exposure. But the room was about 400 sq. ft.

700 sq.ft is really a challenge and beyond my immediate experience, but they will have to be quite large floorstanders. A lot of speakers in that category start at about $10K and up which may be prohibitive. In the way of more normal costing speakers you might want to look at offerings from Tekton Designs, such as the Pendragon or the Impact. The Tekton mid mounts I have heard (Lore) are capable of both high volume and low level near field listening depending on your mood.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 am 

You might consider adding a pair of sealed subs. Integration can be tricky and not just a question of crossover freq but also phase/ room mode. You will have more flexibility to fix modes with subs than with large floorstanders. More work but probably better results.

My 2 cents, likely worth less.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 am 

Budget?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 am 

Budget is around 2 500 $ - 3 000 $.

I tried integrating subs but I was not very happy with the results.

I sit approx. 9-10 feet from the speakers.

Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 am 
Premium User

if you can get a pair of Cabasse Iroise 3 , they are fantastic for what you are looking for , however you will need a good source to make them sing , I have tried many brand and size of speakers (I am not saying they were no good ) , but for my room size and overall imperfect shape the Cabasse does a fantastic job , they are neutral natural sounding speakers that you can listen for hours and hours ,

good luck and let me know with what you will find ;) :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am 

Are you near this Audio store,

Magasin Audiolight,
355, rue Marie-de-l'Incarnation, Québec (Qc) G1N 3G9 (rez-de-chaussée)
Téléphone : (418) 687-9252
Télécopieur : (418) 683-5082
info@magasinaudiolight.com

and if you are, will they lend you speakers for a try out with your own gears for a week or so. As you probably know, they do carry the Focal line.

Also, since you mentioned the Monitor Audio speakers, you could try the Silver 300 model, if you can borrow one for a try out. With an impedance of 8ohms and a sensitivity of 90 dB, this could be a good match with your amp.

Anyway, seulement qu'une idée de ma part...

Last edited by moinau on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am 

PappyBlue wrote:

I tend to prefer smooth/warm speakers.

Monitor Audio & Focal in general are both brands that wouldn't be at the top of my list if I preferred smooth/warm speakers.

For your budget & if you like the sound of your current speakers I would second that adding a pair of subs might be the way to go. What subs did you try in the past that you didn't like? (should be looking at subs more directed at 2 ch, such as REL, MJ Acoustics, BK Electric, JL, etc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 am 

Run, don't walk. This is an exceptional deal. Definitely worth checking out.

Tannoy Arundel 15" dual concentrics for $1,400: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649371831-gorgeous-tannoy-15-in-custom-cabinet-price-to-go/

*No affiliation with seller.

If these aren't to your liking, then a pair of Klipsch La Scala will be guaranteed to fill your room: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649334951-klipsch-la-scala-speakers-pair/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 am 

daren_p wrote:
PappyBlue wrote:

I tend to prefer smooth/warm speakers.

Monitor Audio & Focal in general are both brands that wouldn't be at the top of my list if I preferred smooth/warm speakers.

. . .

I'd agree with Daren on this, although I've only heard the 3010S2 paired with the MA Silver 8
and Focal 736. (No doubt the 936 is in another league, but also pricier than the 736).

Perhaps consider the classic pairing of Exposure with Spendor? I'm currently running the 3010S2
with Spendor A9, and it's pretty satisfying on everything except perhaps Baroque organ music.
The A9 is outside of your price range, but there are a couple of S9e currently up for sale (in QC)
that might fit the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 am 

For ~$3K I'd be inclined to agree, look at sub(s) and try a little harder to integrate them into your system. $3K is not going to buy you full range, high quality speakers, you'll just be trading one compromise for another. If you're only 9-10 ft from the speakers, you don't really need to "fill the room" you just need to have good sound for that distance. Have you played with placement/toe in etc?

My LR is 16 X 22 plus another 12 X 16 for my DR to the rear of the seating position. My Mani-2s with a half decent sub are plenty for that space.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am 

Concider a pair of Tannoy Ardens ..or Altec Model 19s. Perhaps Klipsch Cornwalls..or LaScalla.s older Vintage speakers seem to full a large room with more warmth for less money and less power to drive them . Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

I heard the MA Silvers at TAVES 2017 and they sounded pretty good with Roksan gear which is similar in sonic signature to Exposure. But the room was about 400 sq. ft.

700 sq.ft is really a challenge and beyond my immediate experience, but they will have to be quite large floorstanders. A lot of speakers in that category start at about $10K and up which may be prohibitive. In the way of more normal costing speakers you might want to look at offerings from Tekton Designs, such as the Pendragon or the Impact. The Tekton mid mounts I have heard (Lore) are capable of both high volume and low level near field listening depending on your mood.

Cheers,
David Neice

I have a pair of Pendragons, I really like them and they can fill a room. Brand new, they are beyond what you have budgeted. There is considerable praise for the DI’s, but they are more again.
It’s unfortunate, but Tekton does have customer service issues and some other things that were pointed out in a recent thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am 
Premium User

Wait for a pair of Spatial M3 Turbo to get on the used market. Bass and room concerns will be a thing of the past. Even better would be Pure Audio Project Trio.

+3 on the Pendragon recommendation if they have the same quality of bass as the Double Impacts.