Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Siriusxm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

Is this any good? We keep getting stuff in the mail from them. Some of the stations look interesting, but is there a lot of repetition? Do they cater to what they feel the average listener would want?

I may try the free trial, but wonder if there’s a catch. Gosh, I’m getting cynical in my old age!

Post subject: Re: Siriusxm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:46 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:
Is this any good? We keep getting stuff in the mail from them. Some of the stations look interesting, but is there a lot of repetition? Do they cater to what they feel the average listener would want?

I may try the free trial, but wonder if there’s a catch. Gosh, I’m getting cynical in my old age!

Getting?. :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 pm 

I have SiriusXM in the car. It is fine for the car, but I am guessing that the sound quality would be poor in good home setup. The big plus is there are no ads, however the price can be a bit on the high side.
If you have a cable or satellite provider now, then you get a similar service. Yes, there is a certain amount of repetition on the pop stations (e.g., the 60's channel), less on the other stations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm 

I have a few issues with SiriusXM.

Crappy sound quality, I believe it's 64 kbps encoded, Poor at best
Compartmentalized music, They pigeon hole music into very specific music categories to make it look like they have lots of content. Give us some variety or more mixed genre channels!
Expensive, $15-20 per month (after trial) plus taxes and music fees, way too much for such poor quality sound and programming.

Pros: No commercials, works everywhere, great specials and events.

Choose your poison. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:18 pm 

I guess sound quality wouldn’t be a deal breaker since I would be using this in the vehicle. There are a lot of stations I wouldn’t use however, but would still be paying for them. Too bad you couldn’t just choose a few and pay accordingly.

I probably won’t indulge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:30 pm 

I find a lot of the music very repetitive, poorly representative of the genre(s), and - as prior mentioned, very poor sounding. I mean, to the point that I stopped listening to it in the car. Very compressed, almost echo'e...

The Jazz stations either "put you to sleep" with the most lame smooth jazz or, you have to listen to extremely progressive bop. No in between - poorly programmed. The blues selection is boring, I end up jumping around to other channels - of which, repeat lots of their programming.

I soon went back to regular FM.

I don't recommend it at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 pm 

I love it...great music in a wide variety of genres to suit your taste...big plus...really knowledgeable DJs (mit no commercials)...love it!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm 

Funny enough I just cancelled after 7 years in my vehicle. Sound was as good as the stock system that came with my Dodge Ram. I had BB King blues station on over 90 percent of the time. Loved the variety of blues that they dug up.

Price would run about 240 for the year, but I only missed one year where I did not argue with them and got the price reduced to under 90 dollars (75 dollars at first but as the years went by the price climbed)

I just cancelled in mid November and am dreading for the day they actually pull the plug on me. Only cancelled because I put less than 9 K miles per year on the truck and they are mostly short hops around town nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 pm 

Unplug the Sirius antenna if it's still activated and leave it unplugged for 6 months. After 6 mo plug it back in and enjoy. I discovered this by accident when I replaced the factory head unit and called Sirius to shut it off. The aftermarket deck crapped out 3 years later so I put the factory radio back in and it was still activated and still works 6 years later. Dunno if this is an isolated incident but for the price I'm happy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 am 

If you get the free trial without buying any hardware, go for it. The programming can repetitive but there are a lot of channels and I have learned about quite a few artists on it. I got a life time subscription years ago, which Sirius continues to honour and I really appreciate that integrity. My biggest frustration with Sirius is that it will never share any technical information or on the very rare occasions that the system is having trouble, Sirius will not admit it. It ain't hifi, but if you are doing chores or are in a noisy vehicle, hifi is not too important, and sometimes it can sound very good.
Sirius seems to have changed it's orbits lately and I have not tested this in a vehicle, but I live far to the west and am advised to point the antenna to the east. In a vehicle that meant that the signal would cut out anytime I drove by a tree or any other obstruction to the east of the vehicle. I finally took the radio out of my truck because the extra clutter was not worth it - however I will reinstall it if I ever go camping or go on long highway tours.
For home use you can get one of the boom boxes or connect it to your stereo. I use the most powerful antenna upgrade available and get 3 bars of signal a lot of the time. A friend uses the next antenna down and gets a consistent 2 bars in a challenging location. The downside of these antennas is that the more powerful they are, the more directional they are. With a decent interconnect running to the stereo, it can sound pretty darn good.
For stereo use I recommend using a vehicle cradle rather than the home cradle, and order a home power supply that fits the vehicle cradle. The reason is that with my home cradle the radio would not transmit an FM signal, but with the vehicle cradle it would transmit FM. If someone else has transmitted FM with a home cradle please reply. (FM is for the transistor radio on the kitchen counter.)
Where I live we only get CBC 2 on FM and our internet is just getting good enough to allow internet radio, so Sirius is a great service.
Where one has good internet, I would only recommend Sirius if you get good reception in your vehicle and if the programming is important to you when driving, just because of the subscription price. Despite the negatives mentioned here, I actually am a grateful and happy Sirius subscriber.

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=26390|26483|26626

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 am 

Range of music styles is mostly good, most DJs pick good selections, no commercials - but sound quality is oddly very non-involving, which I attribute to low bit rate (lower than mp3, supposedly).

There are also several comedy stations and, of course, Howard Stern. He's the big draw on SiriusXm. No more hookers and strippers on his show, mostly good interviews (Robert Plant was great a couple of months ago) and comedy bits.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 am 

Rog50 wrote:
Funny enough I just cancelled after 7 years in my vehicle. Sound was as good as the stock system that came with my Dodge Ram. I had BB King blues station on over 90 percent of the time. Loved the variety of blues that they dug up.

Price would run about 240 for the year, but I only missed one year where I did not argue with them and got the price reduced to under 90 dollars (75 dollars at first but as the years went by the price climbed)

I just cancelled in mid November and am dreading for the day they actually pull the plug on me. Only cancelled because I put less than 9 K miles per year on the truck and they are mostly short hops around town nowadays.

GOOD TASTE!!!

I wish I could pay a reasonable fee, and get the BB King Blues station ONLY!

SQ is good enough (barely) for the car.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 am 

Sirius keeps sending me this renewal Promo email for my Work Van.
Use code SAVE20M if you wish to use it.

I also agree not enough Jazz variety on SXM. I'm a fan of folk, new age and jazz and the selection is pretty poor. Sirius is great when I'm in the mountains or up north where terrestrial radio stations are far and few between.

Cheers

Attachments:
File comment: Sirius current promo
SXM_Promo 2017.PNG
SXM_Promo 2017.PNG [ 28.85 KiB | Viewed 1511 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am 

My two-bits....

I've been a subscriber for about 10 years(?). I've never had much to complain about and I've enjoyed the choices offered especially the variety of music offered by The Loft and before that Sirius Disorder. That channel alone has turned me on to so much new music that I think it's paid for itself many times over.

I recently added the streaming subscription so I can play SiriusXM as an App on my Android devices (c/w high resolution bitrates - way better sound than the satellite!!). I resisted doing this for so long moistly because the first versions of the App was not very good and the sound quality was horrible. However, it was mentioned recently that there were many improvements made and some users even switched to the streaming service only and have abandoned their satellite hardware altogether.

However, over the last year or two, the SiriusXM bigwigs have deemed my favourite channel The Loft to be expendable. They've removed it in favour of "pop-up" channels instead like the current Eagles channel. Many regular Loft listeners have protested this and the SiriusXM people don't care. The channel is considered "boutique" therefor not important enough in their world to preserve uninterrupted.

So, now I'm seriously considering dropping my subscription. I'm considering Spotify instead. Or maybe some other service. I'll listen to MP3s in my car or OTA FM radio like CBC 2.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am 

I've had it in rental cars on occasion and enjoyed it. I think whether you want it or not really boils down to what your OTA options are. I would imagine you're picking up a number of stations across and down the lake?
Like someone else said the stations seem to really target a genre. All blues. All jazz, etc.