Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 am 

Hello all,
I’m looking for some advice on bookshelves that image like champs for my second system.

I currently own the KEF LS50s and they are really amazing but are frequency challenged and perhaps a little fatiguing.

Possibilities so far:
Totem bookshelves
PMC twenty four or five 21 or 22
Kef Reference 1 (bit of a stretch)
Reference 3a de capo be

Ruled out:
Any Harbeth

Budget $1-4000

Amplification: both ss and tube

Room: smallish basement room.

Listening position: 6-8 feet back.

Music: mostly classical

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 am 

PMC 21.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am 

Dynaudio Focus 160 if you have the amplification to drive them (4ohms, 85db sensivity) and the right stands (preferably Dynaudio's own d4 full of sand-they need mass underneath). One of my friends listen to classical most of the time and has a 7 x 7 x 7 set up. Drives them with a Devialet 220 Pro and had also pretty good results with a Naim 272-250DR kit although much better bass with the Devialet. In your budget if you can find them used.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:26 am 

Hi,

malthouse wrote: 'I’m looking for some advice on bookshelves that image like champs for my second system.'

Second system. Avoid the 'high end trap' and just go for something that is easy going and musical. Wharfedale Diamond 225s are the current model that will fill that bill leaving you with between $500 and 3500 for more classical music purchases. No sub needed.

But, if you insist that they must be expensive then ATC ACM11s are recommended as well as the Spendor S3/1R. For about $1200 + tax you can get a pair of Spendor S3/5R2s which will work well for classical in a small room and are far less tiring than the LS50s. With a small and well positioned 8 inch sub dialled way down in the mix they would be hard to beat. Try Audo Eden.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 am 

Why no proac in list?

My tab 50 sigs impressed me....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:48 am 

If you can get them used ....These ain't no run of the mill standmounts

JMR OFFRANDE Supreme V 2

http://www.amherstaudio.com/?page_id=42

http://jm-reynaud.com/offrande-supreme-v2.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:56 am 

Hi,

Gunnar - JMR Offrandes? Yes, for sure in a big main system but the OP is talking about a small basement room, at 6-7 feet from the speakers, and in a second system. Are you just funning him?

Binky - For sure, several models (old and new) of Proacs need to be on his listening list.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am 

Shot yourself in the foot by ruling out Harbeth The P3esr is by far better than anything in its class.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am 

I would love to try some JMR stand mounters.

Currently using Tannoy Revolution 6 SE with nice cabinets and I find they are very pinpoint, if that's your thing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

malthouse wrote: 'I’m looking for some advice on bookshelves that image like champs for my second system.'

Second system. Avoid the 'high end trap' and just go for something that is easy going and musical. Wharfedale Diamond 225s are the current model that will fill that bill leaving you with between $500 and 3500 for more classical music purchases. No sub needed.

But, if you insist that they must be expensive then ATC ACM11s are recommended as well as the Spendor S3/1R. For about $1200 + tax you can get a pair of Spendor S3/5R2s which will work well for classical in a small room and are far less tiring than the LS50s. With a small and well positioned 8 inch sub dialled way down in the mix they would be hard to beat. Try Audo Eden.

Cheers,
David Neice

Just because it’s a second system doesn’t mean I don’t want it to be exceptionally good. My main is in a big room, so scale and full range is the goal there. The second is for detail and up close. I’m looking for fidelity here, not easy going. I deliberately made my spending range wide to allow for cheap and reasonably spendy choices. In my experience once you get less than $1000 give or take you definitely enter a different quality of speaker. More like mass produced, less musical, less everything.

-- 03 Dec 2017 19:42 --

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
Shot yourself in the foot by ruling out Harbeth The P3esr is by far better than anything in its class.

Already owned them. Not impressed at all. Hence ruling out Harbeth. I’ve owned several models and the only one that really blew me away was the shl5 plus.

-- 03 Dec 2017 19:47 --

Gunner wrote:
If you can get them used ....These ain't no run of the mill standmounts

JMR OFFRANDE Supreme V 2

http://www.amherstaudio.com/?page_id=42

http://jm-reynaud.com/offrande-supreme-v2.html

What about the Bliss?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 am 

Kef Reference 1 from the list...and Raidho if you can stretch more and more....sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:52 am 

therealco wrote:
I would love to try some JMR stand mounters.

Currently using Tannoy Revolution 6 SE with nice cabinets and I find they are very pinpoint, if that's your thing!

I was thinking of the DC8, do you k ow if they are similar in presentation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am 
Premium User

Quote - "I was thinking of the DC8, do you k ow if they are similar in presentation"

Those DC8s are astoundingly good! We had a pair of those in constant rotation and they were tough to outdo!! Really tough!

On another note - I'm using a pair of LA Acoustics LA25s in my home rig as we speak. They have a ribbon tweeter that I really enjoy. Usually priced a bit north of $3K MSRP (if you can find them). Mine will be going up for sale soon as I make a switch to some Tannoy floorstanders or something from the Wharfedale Diamond floorstanding line (230s or 240s)

And the poster that mentioned the Diamond bookshelf speakers - he's right! They're no slouches either! It was always a toss-up between those and the Tannoy Mercury 7.2s (in that price range). One helluva' fine budget choice there!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:31 am 

A used pair of Spendor SP2/2!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am 

Just to be clear, I understand there are great speakers out there but I really want ones that have excellent imaging and soundstage. The kind that disappear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next