Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Hey All

I have a couple of old Pioneer receivers that had been in storage for awhile, an SX-850 and an SX-939, which I decided to put to use.

I just had the SX-850 serviced and given a once over. The SX-939 is going through the same things. Worked fine but I hadn't touched it in many years. I haven't decided which was to keep just yet but for now I'll be testing out the SX-850 first.

Speaker wise I was going to use some Dynaco A10s that I have in storage back at my parents place. But then I found some spare B&W DM602S2s speakers at work and they've let me borrow them so I'll be using those for now. At some point though I'll have to sort out some speakers.

But I don't have a turntable for this set up. My original budget was quite low but I noticed that turntable prices have increased since I last checked for used turntables many years ago. Max I want to spend is $500. I don't want to mess around with restoring anything or a turntable that would require a lot of upgrades to get the best out of it, unless all the upgrade cost comes within my budget.

I'm not interested in anything with a USB or bluetooth or built in phono pre amp and would generally like to stick used and vintage of sorts.

I've always wanted a Technics SL-1200 MKII (for nostalgic reasons) but I know that's out of the question due to budget. Someone suggested Thorens but the ones within my budget are the 165/166 whereas they recommended at TD-160 (MKII I think) but I've only found one or two of those and they were both more than $500.

I'm pretty open to suggestions and it can be belt or direct drive.

I usually ask questions like this on an US based forum and wind up with a bunch of suggestions that are generally out of my price range. Exchange rate is obviously an issue but our US friends seem to find way more turntables for way better prices than we do!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:52 am
Posts: 100
Location: SCARBOROUGH, ON, CA
There is a dual 1229 just listed on here and in Toronto. No affiliation. But a good choice for 200.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:19 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Eastern Passage, NS, CA
This one you can get for 500.00$ CDN plus tax
New, with cartridge included, very good TT for the price.

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/ ... rbondc.pdf


I know you mentioned vintage/used, and I suggested a new TT because:

Since you don't want to mess around with restoring anything or a turntable that would require a lot of upgrades to get the best out of it, and wanting a vintage of sorts, it usually don't go together. Most used/vintage at 500.00$ or below will require tinkering around of some sort, you can rest assured of that, and hoping the cost for any upgrade they might require comes within your budget, possible, but unlikely.

All my turntables are vintage, and fixing them or buying them, sadly, way above your budget.

Buying new within your budget, you will get a very nice table, not as good looking as a Thorens 124, 125, or a Lenco maybe, but you will nevertheless enjoy listening to it.

Anyway, good luck in your search...

_________________
A force de contempler la mer, on fini un jour par la prendre.


Last edited by moinau on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 23
Location: Hantsport, NS, CA
I just did a quick look on Toronto Craiglist and there are some possible turntables there within your budget. If you want very inexpensive there is a 505 for not much money. It is not the 505-3 version I had and liked but probably not bad considering. The cartridge needs a new stylus but they can be upgraded to any level your wallet can afford.
https://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/clt/d ... 16834.html

But if I was there, I would aleady be on my way to buy the Edwards Audio Apprentice Turntable & Ortofon OM5E, just saying. Some nice stuff up that way.
https://toronto.craigslist.ca/mss/ele/d ... 81807.html

Good luck in your search. It is fun.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 848
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

++ for that recommendation of Dneprrider about the Edwards TT - grab it. The arm on it alone offers you years of potential cartridge upgrading. The only downside is that it is fully manual but that is, alas, the true cost of entry into real audiophile level TTs and arms.

It is true that you can buy a good used Japanese or German built belt drive semi-automatic with a cartridge of some provenance for maybe $200, but unless it is an exceptional example the arm will almost always limit the ultimate possible performance of these TTs. As an example I am working on a Dual 510 right now as a gift to my son-in law, and it is going to take quite a bit of determined tweaking on my part to get it up to a level I can live with. I blew most of the afternoon off today just setting up the arm and a cartridge swap for an initial run. But in their case (daughter and son-in-law) there is just no way they could ever adapt their life-style to a fully manual TT as the thing might run in the out-groove for a week before they noticed!!

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
- Are you trying to go vintage to match the rest of your system?
- Is the $500 budget include a cartridge (plug'n'play) or is the cartridge extra?
- Are you okay with fully manual, or would you like semi/fully automatic?

If you're okay with non-vintage and fully manual, then +1 for the Edwards TT that has already been recommended.

Otherwise, let us know what you're looking for.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Tanaks wrote:
- Are you trying to go vintage to match the rest of your system?
- Is the $500 budget include a cartridge (plug'n'play) or is the cartridge extra?
- Are you okay with fully manual, or would you like semi/fully automatic?

If you're okay with non-vintage and fully manual, then +1 for the Edwards TT that has already been recommended.

Otherwise, let us know what you're looking for.


Good questions that I should've tackled in my original post!

I'd like to keep the budget at $500 all in so including cartridge.

Manual/semi-fully auto - Not fussed really. I've only ever had manual t/ts since I was a kid (rega p3 and a Linn lp12) so fully manually wouldn't really be an issue for me.

I was thinking of keeping it vintage to match the rest of my system but it's not set in stone. I wouldn't want to pass up a good t/t just for that. I actually did notice that Edwards listing awhile back but forgot about. I was going to do some research as I've never heard of that brand. Looks like a good option.

I did find a What Hifi review that says placement is key and it should be well away from speakers which isn't an option with this set up. So I'm wondering if it'll prove to be a problem.

-- 25 Nov 2017 05:27 --

moinau wrote:
Since you don't want to mess around with restoring anything or a turntable that would require a lot of upgrades to get the best out of it, and wanting a vintage of sorts, it usually don't go together. Most used/vintage at 500.00$ or below will require tinkering around of some sort, you can rest assured of that, and hoping the cost for any upgrade they might require comes within your budget, possible, but unlikely.


Yes I totally appreciate that and it is a limiting factor.

I did find a Thorens TD-160 for $600 online (it was a store listing though) and almost contacted the seller but then I thought, if I start messing around with my budget I'll wind up at $1,000 by the end of the weekend! Then I read the TD 160 MKII is better and that made me feel better. :)

I kind of wish I never sold my Rega P3-24 years ago but I needed the cash to upgrade.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:29 am
Posts: 500
Location: St.Catharines, ON, CA
Listed on Markham kijiji.

Gary


Attachments:
a4cc0780b079103a1d1a41267d31de05.jpg
a4cc0780b079103a1d1a41267d31de05.jpg [ 46.86 KiB | Viewed 645 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:52 pm
Posts: 238
Location: North Gower, ON, CA
A Dual would be nice, maybe give this fellow a call to see if he has any for sale. <http://doctordual.ca/>
Ott.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
ottguit wrote:
A Dual would be nice, maybe give this fellow a call to see if he has any for sale. <http://doctordual.ca/>
Ott.


Never heard of that site before so thanks for the heads up. It's actually kind of what I was hoping for; used t/t from a reputable seller rather than a private seller. Only because I'm going used and vintage and having someone that restores them to buy from makes me feel better about things. I'll give them a call. Most of the ones I looked at on the site have already been sold.

I was thinking of visiting Ring Audio but I can't make it during their current hours.

Are there any other reputable shops that sell used t/ts in the Toronto area?

Any thoughts on a Dual Idler table by anyone? Based on my no fuss no muss criteria I think these might be out as I heard they require some maintenance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:19 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Eastern Passage, NS, CA
As 'ottguit' previously mentioned, 'doctor dual' might be an excellent option if he has one that fits your budget.
Dual has excellents turntables; I've one since 1978, the 704 model, a semi auto, never any problem with it.
Doctor Dual has or had excellent models for sale, the 1019, and the 1229. Other models are also quite good.

To get in contact with this person,

http://doctordual.ca/contact/

As for a Dual idler, excellent TT by the way, but if it was never properly serviced, and most aren't, your fuss no muss criteria will come into play big time. If you can find one, and are very sure that it was properly serviced, this is one fine table.

You mentioned Thorens 160MKI model versus the 160MkII version, don't believe anyone tell you the 160MKIi is better, different on some level yes, but both are fine tables. I run a 145MKI model, same as the 160MKI model, except for an end of play, and tonearm lift on the 145, they both have the same TP16 tonearm, and TP60 head-shell. Personally I prefer the MKI model, and reason is, you have more options on the type of cartridges you can mount on that tonearm.

As for the Pioneer PL117D, excellent auto TT. I've the entry level PL112D, almost the same as the 117D except mine is a manual type.

_________________
A force de contempler la mer, on fini un jour par la prendre.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I really appreciate the feedback so far. It's very helpful. I'm not new to audio but I generally bought new or if used recently used new stuff over the years. My budgets have also been typically higher and the choices never felt too overwhelming.

When i started looking into vintage used t/ts that totally changed. So many options and prices can be all over the place. You really need to read the fine print and do some research.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 am
Posts: 1075
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
Hard to beat this Ariston RD80 for $350: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649327916-ariston-rd80-transcription-turntable-w-shure-97xe-low-hours/

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." (Aristotle, 384-322 BCE)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 848
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

NordicNorm wrote: 'Hard to beat this Ariston RD80 for $350'

++ to that. I had, for a long time, the ADC TT that this arm was included with and I can attest it is a good arm. Easy to set-up and if I remember correctly the arm tube was some kind of fibre composite. It was designed specifically for ultra low mass ADC XLM and VLM cartridges which had very very high compliance, so much so that many arms with high mass would just crush the stylus assembly. I think I had a Grado Signature 8M on it and it worked fine.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:28 am
Posts: 3470
Location: Kamloops, BC, CA
eddiel wrote:
Hey All

I have a couple of old Pioneer receivers that had been in storage for awhile, an SX-850 and an SX-939, which I decided to put to use.

I just had the SX-850 serviced and given a once over. The SX-939 is going through the same things. Worked fine but I hadn't touched it in many years. I haven't decided which was to keep just yet but for now I'll be testing out the SX-850 first.

Speaker wise I was going to use some Dynaco A10s that I have in storage back at my parents place. But then I found some spare B&W DM602S2s speakers at work and they've let me borrow them so I'll be using those for now. At some point though I'll have to sort out some speakers.

But I don't have a turntable for this set up. My original budget was quite low but I noticed that turntable prices have increased since I last checked for used turntables many years ago. Max I want to spend is $500. I don't want to mess around with restoring anything or a turntable that would require a lot of upgrades to get the best out of it, unless all the upgrade cost comes within my budget.

I'm not interested in anything with a USB or bluetooth or built in phono pre amp and would generally like to stick used and vintage of sorts.

I've always wanted a Technics SL-1200 MKII (for nostalgic reasons) but I know that's out of the question due to budget. Someone suggested Thorens but the ones within my budget are the 165/166 whereas they recommended at TD-160 (MKII I think) but I've only found one or two of those and they were both more than $500.

I'm pretty open to suggestions and it can be belt or direct drive.

I usually ask questions like this on an US based forum and wind up with a bunch of suggestions that are generally out of my price range. Exchange rate is obviously an issue but our US friends seem to find way more turntables for way better prices than we do!


Here ya go:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... turntable/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... low-hours/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... turntable/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... near-mint/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group