Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am 

Would like to find a cheap Blu-ray and play music via a USB external drive through the players digital out into a DAC.

Is this possible? DAC is non USB.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm 

Not sure I understand so correct me if I am wrong. You wish to purchase a Blu-ray player that has capabilities of reading digital music files (or movie) from an external hard drive via USB then pass the digital audio across a SPDIF connection to your DAC? Yes this can be done but will be dependant on the functionality of the Blu-ray player. Oppo players can do this. Any player you maybe interested in I would suggest you read the instructions to see if this functionality is possible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 pm 

Yes that is exactly how I want to do it. Instruction manuals are pretty lame these days. I was wondering if it possible. A new sound card with spdif on a10yr old PC isn't going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm 

FWIW, I know the $105 Panasonic BDP I purchased a couple of years ago is fully capable of streaming flac files from a USB source....up to 24/192. Optical or HDMI output only though......no SPDIF.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm 

Your challenge is finding a cheap Blu-Ray player that will perform such tasks. Cheap ones can be pretty limited. A used PS3 should do the tick. There is also the question of navigating the files through the players interface. I own a HT receiver that can also read files from a USB drive. It’s menu navigation is painful and slow to say the least.

Assuming your PC is at least Win 7, there are inexpensive USB sound cards with SPDIF/TOSLINK out or even USB DAC’s such as the AudioQuest Dragonfly – just an option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

Optical would work!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 pm 

This is the model I bought....no idea if it's still current.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/DMP-BDT360.html

The on-screen navigation is not terrible.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 pm 

The onscreen navigation through my receiver wasn’t bad – it was just navigating a disc full of media that was painfully slow.

Kel34 – is Blu-Ray functionality needed? There are media devices such as a Roku that will do the same sans the Blu-Ray. Some Smart TV’s can also read external drives. I connect an external hard disc to my Samsung which uses an TOSLINK out to a DAC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 pm 

Kel34 wrote:
Would like to find a cheap Blu-ray and play music via a USB external drive through the players digital out into a DAC.

Is this possible? DAC is non USB.

I have a super cheap USB blue Ray/DVD player that I connect to my Linux box via a USB. I got it at Memory Express. Once you are connected to the Linux Box the world is yours, you can do pretty much anything you want.

I move this Blue Ray player around to different systems, one has a older M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI interface (Great Card with up 192 KHz playback) on my new Linux box I am using a Bryston BDA-2.

The most expensive item is the Bryston DAC. If you can name it I can do it for free with these Linux Boxes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm 

I'm an analog guy I have hundreds of lps and a very good set up.

Each year I say I'm going to get a digital system as I'm denying myself alot of music.

I don't have a disc spinner or a capable PC. I suppose I could get a sound card put in the PC it an old Lenovo quad core that needs a half size card. It's not a tower. Such cards are rare.

I thought Blu Ray would be a viable alternative. All I want is a transport that can take a drive so I can make playlists.

I have a sweet dac coming my way with pcm 1704 chips same one Linn used in the CD 12.

I'm open to other options streamers etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm 

What is a Linux box?

Thanks for the replies people

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 pm 

You don’t need a sound card for USB audio off your PC – you could use a USB to SPDIF converter and still use that old Lenovo quad core. Of course assuming you are ok having the computer in the same room as the rest of your equipment. Example…

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-ilink/

A Linux box is nothing more than a computer running a Linux based operating system. Audio_Guy is quite fond of them and doesn’t miss a chance to promote. But the same can be performed with both Windows and Mac OS – no difference!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 pm 

I did think of a converter but thought it would be another thing in the chain that would degrade the music.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 pm 

The Blu-Ray player will also be another link in the chain that could degrade the signal.

I have no experience with USB to SPDIF converters – never had the need for one. There are a few users here that do use them…perhaps they can chime in.

But my take on them is that they are built for a specific application oppose to a BRP that has external drive read functionality which may be built for convenience rather than quality. Which is better would depend on the quality of the units under review.

A 10 year old quad core Lenovo should be up to the task of handing USB Audio assuming there is no issues with it. Personally if I was in your shoes I would look into trying to utilize the computer with a USB/SPDIF converter rather than a BRP with disc read functionality. The computer is much more versatile – your media playback options are endless. It can be controlled via a tablet or smartphone or even a wireless keyboard should you have it connected to a TV. And you can take advantage of streaming services like Tidal or Spotify.

There are also network streaming devices specific to audio such as Bluesound to something a little more higher end like Auralic. Many excellent ways to playback digital files.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

Yes, yes and yes my thinking all the way around. Using the Lenovo until it dies was the original idea. It's just $300 for a converter!! Yikes!

Trying to do it on the cheap. Might have to investigate them further.