Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:44 am 

Looking to upgrade another piece of my setup. Currently have Kenwood KR-A47 , Music Hall mmf-5.1 , Music Hall PA2.2, Tannoy Mercury 7.4 with QED cable.

I have been looking at various Integrated Tube amps - Audio-Space, Musical Paradise, Yaqin, Jolida. Also was sort of looking into Peachtree Novas.

Just looking for some opinions or maybe some other options out there. I'm new to vacuum tubes, but having heard a small audio-space amp this past weekend they have piqued my interest.

Thanks,
Dean

Tannoy Mercury 7.4

Last edited by DeanerF on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:48 am 

What power tube strikes yer interest?

One reason why I keep hanging on to my primaluna is it's ability to handle the majority of the 6L6 family.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
What power tube strikes yer interest?

One reason why I keep hanging on to my primaluna is it's ability to handle the majority of the 6L6 family.

I'm not too sure actually. Seems like most have either the EL34 or KT88? Just reading quickly on the 6L6 they sound like a pretty good option too.

Maybe I need to test listen a few different options

Tannoy Mercury 7.4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am 

I use a Cary SLI-80 in my secondary system for a number of years. Well built, switchable from 40w Triode to 80W Ultra-linerar, can use the following output tubes KT150, KT120, KT88, 6550, EL34, 6CA7, 6L6, KT66, KT77, 6V6, KT90. A tube roller's dream. The design has withstood the test of time and has decent re-sale value. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 am 

Primaluna should definitely be on your list. The Prologue 1 I had was my favorite integrated
Peachtree presents little, if any, likeness to a full tube integrated - owned 3
also owned a Yaquin MC100B. wonderful tonality but muddled anything complicated

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am 

Start with a budget first. Tube amps can get even more expensive especially if the tubes they ship with aren't that great. Had a Jolida years ago and it was actually pretty well built especially for the price.

I have a Primaluna Preamp and the thing is built like a brickhouse with really good parts inside. I've been eyeing up a Line Magnetic 508ia integrated but with no chance of auditioning, even though it's from a dealer, it's giving me pause.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am 

Just sent you a pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am 

I too own and highly recommend PrimaLuna preamp. It is driving a solid state amp, which gives you a bit more option for speaker selection and upgrade/downgrade. A full tube system, especially with EL34s can sound too sweet, if that's possible :) Too much of a good thing, but it definitively has its charms.
V

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am 

Again,
Budget may be your first item to deal with.

Off the top of my head, two exceptional amps (both very different) are on Canuck right now for sale.

A "Finale" SET amp (6 watts per side) - EL84 (very sweet sounding, exceptionally quiet & dynamic); it's called a FT-108. I used to own this exact amp, I know it well - it was customized by the factory for me and I sold it. It is being re-saled by another CAMMER now, a no brainer for under 1k and it will likely "wipe the floor" with most of the recommendations made so far in that budget.

A JJ 838 Integrated - again, on Cam right now - sub $2000. Much more powerful than the aforementioned amp. Quite hard to find, exceptional sounding and built like a tank.

These, in my opinion, are two of the best tube amps being retailed right now on Canuck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am 

As other have mentioned, there are a myriad of choices out there....depending on budget, design (single-ended, push-pull, etc), tube preference, build quality, power requirements, speaker compatibility/suitability, etc. IMHO, do as much research as possible.

If you find that a mid-power single-ended solution fits the bill, I'd strongly suggest looking at the Mastersound line-up. They are well designed/built, and are reasonably affordable (unless you start looking at their 845/300B models), and sound fantastic. I've run an EL34 based DueVenti for the last 9 years or so, and have been very happy with it. Last time I checked, used versions seem to hover around the $1800-2000ish range, which I think represents pretty good value.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am 

brf wrote:
I use a Cary SLI-80 in my secondary system for a number of years. Well built, switchable from 40w Triode to 80W Ultra-linerar, can use the following output tubes KT150, KT120, KT88, 6550, EL34, 6CA7, 6L6, KT66, KT77, 6V6, KT90. A tube roller's dream. The design has withstood the test of time and has decent re-sale value. Highly recommended.

If my budget was that high the SLI-80 would be on the list for sure!

right now the budget is $2000 CND. So the SLI-80 is *a little* over unfortunatly

Tannoy Mercury 7.4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am 

selkirk wrote:
As other have mentioned, there are a myriad of choices out there....depending on budget, design (single-ended, push-pull, etc), tube preference, build quality, power requirements, speaker compatibility/suitability, etc. IMHO, do as much research as possible.

If you find that a mid-power single-ended solution fits the bill, I'd strongly suggest looking at the Mastersound line-up. They are well designed/built, and are reasonably affordable (unless you start looking at their 845/300B models), and sound fantastic. I've run an EL34 based DueVenti for the last 9 years or so, and have been very happy with it. Last time I checked, used versions seem to hover around the $1800-2000ish range, which I think represents pretty good value.

Ran s mastersound 300bse...all I can say is meh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 am 

The best integrated I ever had was an Audio Research CA-50. They do have newer integrateds, but the CA-50 was great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am 

Do yourself a huge favour and call Frank at Triode Lab. He built that Finale EL84 amp that JGP recommended. Frank will walk you through the process, especially since you’re not sure about which tube you like.
www.triodelab.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am 
Premium User

PrimaLuna integrated amps are a good place to start.