Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roon setup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

I am trying the 2 week Roon trial with an eye toward running it on my KEFLS50 wirless speakers. I admit I am not totally computer savvy and I am having some trouble with it. I have loaded the software on my Windows 10 laptop but cannot seem to get it to import music files. I previously ripped about 100 CDs with JRiver and I can see them in my music folder but can't seem to import into the Roon library. Are there any simple (and I mean geared toward a simpleton) step by step resources anyone can point me to? Alternatively, if there is anyone in the Niagara area who could show me the way hands on, I'd be happy to provide the libation or I could treat at Starbucks/Tims. Let me know...

Post subject: Re: Roon setup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm 

Click on drop down menu (top left), then:

Settings
Storage
+Add Folder
Browse

Then you can find your folder that contains your music, add it, and Roon will import it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 am 

Yep. I do that and it tells me folder has already been added, but it doesn't seem to import and they don't show up in the roon library...frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 am 

I have not used Windows since windows 7, but my best advice would be to a) check and post on the Roon forums https://community.roonlabs.com/, and b) contact their support people - they're likely to not only help you, but also reset your trial period.
Good luck, and if all else fails, buy a Mac :P
Byron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 am 

Thanks for the tip on Roon support. Turns out the problem was that JRiver had ripped my files in APE which Roon does not recognize. Used JRiver to convert to FLAC and they all imported beautifully. Looks and sounds pretty slick so far...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 am 

Oh, good stuff! Glad to hear that it was a simple fix (and that you hadn't ripped hundreds or thousands of CDs!)
I really think Roon should have a monthly payment model. I mean, how many people balk at the $500 price (granted, 500 USD), and yet spend $20/month on Tidal or $10 on Spotify, or Netflix or whatever. If they'd make it $10/month, I bet they'd get far more sales. I'd consider it at that price too, but I just don't listen to digital very critically, or very often...
b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 am 

Agreed. Will be a tough sell to convince my wife that I "need" 500 worth of software to play CDs I already own on $3000 worth of speakers! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 am 

fonthillbilly wrote:
Agreed. Will be a tough sell to convince my wife that I "need" 500 worth of software to play CDs I already own on $3000 worth of speakers! :lol:

Linux is free and can do anything. I have two boxes at my place. One in my office and one in the living room for multimedia duties.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am 

I should add that it's not very easy to get ROON sound right. Yes, they support multiple platforms as endpoints but when you compare their sound to other options (MinimServer + JPlayStreamer, Audirvana+ 3 etc.) you might be a little disappointed. For example, my secondary system consisting of a dedicated 2010 MacMini + Audirvana 3 sounds better to my ears than a dedicated ROON setup consisting of RoonCore running on core i7 + RoonBridge (endpoint) running on a highly optimized i5. Even Tidal Desktop Application (Tidal HiFi) sounds better to me than Roon endpoint running on the same machine.

I think that I've made a mistake purchasing a lifetime ROON license. Yes, you can get really exited about their UX but then you get frustrated trying to get it sound right. Also, I found that using Roon UX gets you distracted from listening to music. You spend more time browsing and skipping tracks than listening. Anyhow, this is my experience.

I tried ROON in all possible configurations
ROON > RoonBridge > DAC Driver on different platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX)
ROON > JPlay Driver
ROON > HQP > JPlay
ROON > HQP > NAA > JPlay
And nothing sounds right and as good as JPlayStreamer. I might try Sonore ultraRendu with ROON in the future to see if it sounds right.
I ended up using Roon for music discovery. For the playback I prefer MinimServer + JPlayStreamer controlled by Linn Kazoo or BubbleDS Next.

Edit:
===================================================
I don’t want anybody to get a false impression that ROON sounds bad. It sounds really good. However when I compare it to other players they sound better to me.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > GCPH

Last edited by yrogins on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am 

yrogins wrote:
I should add that it's not very easy (if not impossible) to get ROON sound right. Yes, they support multiple platforms as endpoints but when you compare their sound to other options (MinimServer + JPlayStreamer, Audirvana+ 3 etc.) you might be a little disappointed. For example, my secondary system consisting of a dedicated 2010 MacMini + Audirvana 3 sounds better to my ears than a dedicated ROON setup consisting of RoonCore running on core i7 + RoonBridge (endpoint) running on a highly optimized i5. Even Tidal Desktop Application (Tidal HiFi) sounds better to me than Roon endpoint running on the same machine.

I think that I've made a mistake purchasing a lifetime ROON license. Yes, you can get really exited about their UX but then you get frustrated trying to get it sound right. Also, I found that using Roon UX gets you distracted from listening to music. You spend more time browsing and skipping tracks than listening. Anyhow, this is my experience.

ROON > JPlay Driver
ROON > HQP > JPlay
ROON > HQP > NAA > JPlay
And nothing sounds right and as good as JPlayStreamer. I might try Sonore ultraRendu with ROON in the future to see if it sounds right.
I ended up using Roon for music discovery. For the playback I prefer MinimServer + JPlayStreamer controlled by Linn Kazoo or BubbleDS Next.

Is Roon showing your signal path as "lossless" (ie bit perfect)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
yrogins wrote:
I should add that it's not very easy (if not impossible) to get ROON sound right. Yes, they support multiple platforms as endpoints but when you compare their sound to other options (MinimServer + JPlayStreamer, Audirvana+ 3 etc.) you might be a little disappointed. For example, my secondary system consisting of a dedicated 2010 MacMini + Audirvana 3 sounds better to my ears than a dedicated ROON setup consisting of RoonCore running on core i7 + RoonBridge (endpoint) running on a highly optimized i5. Even Tidal Desktop Application (Tidal HiFi) sounds better to me than Roon endpoint running on the same machine.

ROON > JPlay Driver
ROON > HQP > JPlay
ROON > HQP > NAA > JPlay

yes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 pm 

yrogins wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:
yrogins wrote:

ROON > JPlay Driver
ROON > HQP > JPlay
ROON > HQP > NAA > JPlay

yes

What about the other players you are comparing Roon too ... are they also outputting bit perfect signal?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
What about the other players you are comparing Roon too ... are they also outputting bit perfect signal?
Yes, unless I explicitly turn on upsampling. Generally, I dont really care if the signal is bit perfect or not. What matters to me is how it sounds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 pm 

yrogins wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:
Yes, unless I explicitly turn on upsampling. Generally, I dont really care if the signal is bit perfect or not. What matters to me is how it sounds.

Yes, as it should be. I'm just trying to logically figure out why you would be hearing differences in players that send a bit perfect signal to your DAC.

I am running a ROON -> HQP -> NAA setup and I find it splendid, though I do appreciate your concern that one might find themselves immersed in the interface at the expense of enjoying the music itself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:52 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
Yes, as it should be. I'm just trying to logically figure out why you would be hearing differences in players that send a bit perfect signal to your DAC.

I am running a ROON -> HQP -> NAA setup and I find it splendid, though I do appreciate your concern that one might find themselves immersed in the interface at the expense of enjoying the music itself.

Yes, I also prefer ROON -> HQP -> JPLay Driver over plain vanila ROON > RoonBridge. And what is your NAA running on?

Edit:
===================================================
I don’t want anybody to get a false impression that ROON sounds bad. It sounds really good. However when I compare it to other players they sound better to me.