Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm 

Good news for ECM fans.

Quote:
Influential Jazz and Classical Label ECM Records Releasing Entire Catalogue to Streaming Outlets

Huge news for fans of Keith Jarrett, Steve Reich, Pat Metheny, Arvo Pärt, John Abercrombie, Vijay Iyer, and countless other seminal jazz, contemporary classical, and New Age artists and composers: The ECM Records catalogue is coming to Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and all major streaming services. Previously, the Munich-based label had remained a steadfast holdout against streaming, though compilations of the biggest works by some of their most significant artists and some newer releases recently surfaced on Apple Music.

Now, ECM has announced that, under a new distribution deal with Universal Music, the entirety of their dense catalogue will be available on streaming by this Friday, November 17. It spans just under 50 years. Many releases are already available, including influential, genre-bending LPs like Keith Jarrett’s The Köln Concert, the original 1978 recording of Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians (and other Reich works), Arvo Pärt’s Tabula Rasa, Meredith Monk’s Dolmen Music, Paul Bley’s Open, To Love, and many more.

In their statement, the label specified that the reason for the change in policy was “unauthorized streaming of recordings via video sharing websites, plus piracy, bootlegs, and a proliferation of illegal download sites.” They emphasized that they believed it was “important to make the catalogue accessible within a framework where copyrights are respected.”

Explore away.

https://www.spin.com/2017/11/ecm-records-streaming/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm 

bleepedy bloops wrote:
Good news for ECM fans.

Quote:
Influential Jazz and Classical Label ECM Records Releasing Entire Catalogue to Streaming Outlets

Huge news for fans of Keith Jarrett, Steve Reich, Pat Metheny, Arvo Pärt, John Abercrombie, Vijay Iyer, and countless other seminal jazz, contemporary classical, and New Age artists and composers: The ECM Records catalogue is coming to Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and all major streaming services. Previously, the Munich-based label had remained a steadfast holdout against streaming, though compilations of the biggest works by some of their most significant artists and some newer releases recently surfaced on Apple Music.

Now, ECM has announced that, under a new distribution deal with Universal Music, the entirety of their dense catalogue will be available on streaming by this Friday, November 17. It spans just under 50 years. Many releases are already available, including influential, genre-bending LPs like Keith Jarrett’s The Köln Concert, the original 1978 recording of Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians (and other Reich works), Arvo Pärt’s Tabula Rasa, Meredith Monk’s Dolmen Music, Paul Bley’s Open, To Love, and many more.

In their statement, the label specified that the reason for the change in policy was “unauthorized streaming of recordings via video sharing websites, plus piracy, bootlegs, and a proliferation of illegal download sites.” They emphasized that they believed it was “important to make the catalogue accessible within a framework where copyrights are respected.”

Explore away.

https://www.spin.com/2017/11/ecm-records-streaming/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on the release of the ECM catalog. Listening to Arvo Pärt, Tabula Rasa now on Slacker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:16 am 

Like I said in last week's thread on this topic I'm not streaming at this point and not sure I ever will. I personally enjoy collecting and owning physical media. Big ECM fan too since the early 70's.

I am however intrigued by the possibility of streaming in hi resolution perhaps at some point. Some ECM material has now been released on SACD in Japan but the last time I checked they were in the $70 range!

I came across the information below over at Progressive Ears this morning and I am a bit curious to know if this is a genuine issue and how significant it really is.

http://www.mattmontag.com/music/univers ... -watermark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm 

I was never happier than when I got rid of my collection of CD’s and Vinyl. Perhaps it’s an age thing. When you get into your sixties too much physical stuff becomes a millstone around your neck. One day you look at the shelves of albums, Jewel Cases, even books, sitting there yellowing, gathering dust and think ‘what’s the point?’

I’m thrilled to let Tidal and Spotify store the stuff I could never afford to buy. The ECM catalog especially the 140 or so albums of Keith Jarrett are the icing on the cake.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm 

to ambient....well take the test if you can hear it...if not, you are lucky.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm 

libor wrote:
to ambient....well take the test if you can hear it...if not, you are lucky.....

Yes I suppose I should try it. I'll get around to it.

Didn't really think the little tablet here would be the best device for a determination though compared to actually streaming the music on good equipment.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm 

milesian wrote:
I was never happier than when I got rid of my collection of CD’s and Vinyl... One day you look at the shelves of albums, Jewel Cases, even books, sitting there yellowing, gathering dust and think ‘what’s the point?’

At the risk of getting off topic, I'm not sure I can agree. While I have my CD collection ripped, and stored on a server in the furnace room, so they're available on all four stereo systems via various Squeezebox types, I do still like pulling out the actual disc, with the album artwork, liner notes etc... I find I use the streamer more for ambient music, and only occasionally when I sit down to really listen to an album. For Vinyl even more so, the media is part of the experience...